Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Random bra sizes

Started by KathyLauren, August 13, 2017, 06:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyLauren

Is it my imagination, or are bra sizes totally random?  I tried on some 38AA bras in a lingerie store the other day, and all of them were way too big.  And yet, in another store today, I tried on a 38C and it fit with only a little room to spare.

What's with that?

I get that you have to try 'em, but how the heck do you even begin to guess which ones to try?
[/rant]
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Laurie

Hi Kathy,

Good question and I believe the answer is they are not so much random as they are brand dependent. As is all women's clothing. Trump would love this industry as there seems to be no regulation at all.

The only defense I think would be to make note of any brand and the sizes in it that fits and keep it as a reference.
  Even using size charts do not work as they are too general to be relied upon. (and they mislead dare I imply lie?) I have a bralette to return because I believed the size chart on the item's tag. I won't even go into country dependent sizing. *sigh*

I feel your pain.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

natalie.ashlyne

Hi yes I have that problem to I found a bra at Wal-Mart  it is called the extreme push up it is made by smart and sexy. It made my A' s in to B' s if that helps
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: KathyLauren on August 13, 2017, 06:57:09 PM
Is it my imagination, or are bra sizes totally random?  I tried on some 38AA bras in a lingerie store the other day, and all of them were way too big.  And yet, in another store today, I tried on a 38C and it fit with only a little room to spare.

What's with that?

I get that you have to try 'em, but how the heck do you even begin to guess which ones to try?
[/rant]
I'm more surprised that you found something labeled a 38AA in a store.  It's supposed to be standard but I've also found it not true.  I ordered a 42A once and while they got the 42 right, if I filled those A cups I could stop taking my estradiol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•  

mm

The best I can say is; I have always tried on any bra I bought.  I know doe some of you girls that maybe hard to do.
  •  

Tommi

I was happy with my third love pushup bra. Their measuring system put me at 38b (before hrt, I have a bit of extra fat there). I bought one regular and one pushup. The regular, I could have smuggled a lot of raisins in, but the pushup was spot on. At work, I always wear a sports bra with the cutlets in (my nipples are always large and protruding because of old piercing scar tissue) and that covers them under my boy clothes. Any other waking time, I'm in that third love bra.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

•  

Gertrude

Quote from: Laurie on August 13, 2017, 07:19:32 PM
Hi Kathy,

Good question and I believe the answer is they are not so much random as they are brand dependent. As is all women's clothing. Trump would love this industry as there seems to be no regulation at all.

The only defense I think would be to make note of any brand and the sizes in it that fits and keep it as a reference.
  Even using size charts do not work as they are too general to be relied upon. (and they mislead dare I imply lie?) I have a bralette to return because I believed the size chart on the item's tag. I won't even go into country dependent sizing. *sigh*

I feel your pain.

Hugs,
   Laurie

I hate that sizing isn't standardized. I've seen 3x stuff from Asia that would be size 12 with other makers. You really have to know the brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

BioWoman

For me I always get sized first and then I go from there. It is all about the type of fit that you want after you have been sized. Do you want full coverage? Push up? All of these options play a role. I have also noticed depending on what your size is, it will depend on where you will shop. I wear a 32 FF but unfortunately that is not a common size at a retail store, so I would have to make accommodations at a lingerie store.
  •  

Dani

Some bra makers use the under bust measurement for the bra size and others use 5 inches less then the mid bust (widest part) measurement.

Cup sizes are a whole other matter. Jockey brand Bras use a numerical cup size, rather than the traditional letter size. This method has some merit but it is not universally used across the fashion industry.

I wear a 40 D in Playtex Support bras. The D size cup is supposed to be impressive, but when attached to a 40 inch under bust, they just look average.

Go see a professional fitter at any full service department store. If the bra is comfortable and you can hardly feel it there, then it fits. Just wear it and don't worry about what other girls are wearing.
  •  

missmolly

I only wear one brand, Victoria's Secret - this way everything stays the same

I've always been a 34 band size ever since I first wore one of their bras when I was 16.
  •  

Lady Sarah

Knowing how much you will fill bra cups will help, as well as knowing your chest measurement. If in doubt, go to a brick and mortar store, and use the changing room.
The biggest thing I notice is that my 36C becomes 36D, depending on the manufacturer.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

Viktor_01

In my experience bra sizes differ from brand to brand, just like it tends to do for jeans, shirts, etc. In the past I used to try to find a brand that I liked, and pick the size that fit me. If I ended up buying more bra's from that brand, I'd know what size to get without having to measure, ask, or guess first.
On a side note: I preferred Victoria's Secret to other brands.
  •  

Lyric

Yes, we all realize sooner or later that sizing on women's clothing these days is largely a joke. You never know for sure if it will fit until you try it on. Even the same stated size of the same product by the same maker can vary considerably from unit to unit. Size control doesn't seem to be such priority in clothing manufacturing any more.

Try on a few different bra sizes until you find one that seems to work. In future shopping, start with that size, but be prepared to try another size or so if necessary.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

KarynMcD

If I went by my measurements I should be a 42A, but I've found that a 36C fits the best.
So yeah, you must try on a bra before you buy it.
  •  

Meghan

I am always ask sale clerk on floor bra fitting me when I am bra shopping, since they know what fit or not.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Meghan Pham: MtF Transgender, Transsexual, Transwoman, social justice, Caregivers, Certified Nurse Assistant
  •  

Faith

I've read up on it, jic :), anyways. the rule of thumb appears to that for fitting different size, if you take your measurements and can't find a fit, go down a band size and up a cup size and vice-versa.

And, like everyone says, after that try it because that's what matters. :P

someday maybe .....
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Meghan

Otherwise you just assumed the bra will fits

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Meghan Pham: MtF Transgender, Transsexual, Transwoman, social justice, Caregivers, Certified Nurse Assistant
  •