Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Would you push that button?

Started by PurpleWolf, December 18, 2017, 11:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roll

(Wow, forgot to include my answer to Wolf's actual question when I got distracted by video. :D)

For the question of would I want to do it all over being none the wiser as a girl? Nope. I'm not in 100% agreement with the John Locke theory of identity, but I believe the basic concept behind it is sound in the sense that our identity, our self, is shaped by our experience (in Locke's case, he actually held that someone with amnesia is a different person than they were before, to the extreme that they shouldn't even be tried for crimes committed by the "old them"). By being "born again"... well, that basically means not being born at all as far as I am concerned, and is tantamount to suicide. No matter what else, I'm not suicidal. I want to enjoy my life, not cancel myself out so a different person can maybe enjoy theirs.

(And afterall, who is to say the "replacement" would even be happy? Sort of that what happens if you time travel and assassinate Hitler to prevent WW2, only to leave a power void where someone more competent steps in and takes his place who in turn wins the war Hitler lost and we find ourselves in a Man in the High Castle dystopian alternate present and we would have been better off just leaving history alone. ... Ok, that was a hardcore tangent. ;D But seriously, what is not being born trans in the wrong gender meant that cis gender reborn you went down a radically different path that just ended in a drug overdose or car accident or something.)
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

PurpleWolf

Quote from: Roll on December 19, 2017, 10:43:27 AM
(And afterall, who is to say the "replacement" would even be happy? Sort of that what happens if you time travel and assassinate Hitler to prevent WW2, only to leave a power void where someone more competent steps in and takes his place who in turn wins the war Hitler lost and we find ourselves in a Man in the High Castle dystopian alternate present and we would have been better off just leaving history alone. ... Ok, that was a hardcore tangent. ;D But seriously, what is not being born trans in the wrong gender meant that cis gender reborn you went down a radically different path that just ended in a drug overdose or car accident or something.)

Omg - I wasn't going to post today - and then I saw this  ;D!!!
That was awesome, Ellie!

Yeah, right exactly what disturbs me in that question! Would I like to nullify me? Not necessarily... And then I might end up as f***ed up anyhow!
!!!REBIRTH=legal name change on Feb 16th 2018!!!
This is where life begins for me. It's a miracle I finally got it done.

My body is the home of my soul; not the other way around.

I'm more than anything an individual; I'm too complex to be put in any box.

- A social butterfly not living in social isolation anymore  ;D -
(Highly approachable but difficult to grasp)

The past is overrated - why stick with it when you are able to recreate yourself every day
  •  

Sno

It's a lovely, thoughtful gift, but very binaristic hon. How would you react when I pressed it and became a lizard.? What then?

Rowan
  •  

babu

Fun questions, thanks.
I am yes,no,female,female,female yes, fine, excited.

I very often wish for that button in question 1, probably daily. The only hesitation I had with those answers, is the 5th one, where relative physical strength might have had an important advantage in survival, but the scenario didn't seem too prehistoric.
  •  

Mary1

Quote from: TonyaW on December 18, 2017, 12:58:57 PM
The answers seem obvious to many of us, but it's one way to start thinking about things if you are questioning. 

I'd choose all the options where l would be female. 

Took me 50 years to realize that the reason that I always wanted to be female is because that's what I am.  I don't think there was ever a time in the past that I would have even hesitated to push that button if given the chance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
What about your family, they wouldn't exist

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

•  

Mary1

Quote from: mako9802 on December 18, 2017, 07:40:00 PM
If I remembered being this version of me yes....if I lose everything as if I never existed then no. The second button nope no way
Good answer

•  

TonyaW

Quote from: Mary1 on December 21, 2017, 11:04:14 PM
What about your family, they wouldn't exist

I don't see in the question where it says my family would disappear, just that I would be female and everyone would know me as such. 

•  

Mary1

Quote from: Jessica on December 18, 2017, 11:11:11 PM
I more fully thought about the ramifications of doing this.  I have 2 wonderful sons that would not exist.  So in effect I would be killing my own children, who are living their own lives with their children.  Couldn't do it.
Nice to hear

•  

Mary1

Quote from: TonyaW on December 21, 2017, 11:11:21 PM
I don't see in the question where it says my family would disappear, just that I would be female and everyone would know me as such. 

You wouldn't have the wife so not your kids

•  

Mary1

Quote from: Mary1 on December 21, 2017, 11:12:51 PM
You wouldn't have the wife so not your kids

Apparently your choice is that

•  

TonyaW

Quote from: Mary1 on December 21, 2017, 11:13:27 PM
Apparently your choice is that

I don't read the question as it would mean I was born female and therefore not have my family.   I've posted elsewhere that I do not regret not transitioning earlier as that would mean I wouldn't have my family.

•  

natalie.ashlyne

•  

Roll

Quote from: TonyaW on December 21, 2017, 11:31:43 PM
I don't read the question as it would mean I was born female and therefore not have my family.   I've posted elsewhere that I do not regret not transitioning earlier as that would mean I wouldn't have my family.

I think the two of you are looking at two different questions. The one from the video is what Tonya is referring to, whereas I think the one posed by Wolf separately is the one Mary is referring to.
~ Ellie
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
I ALWAYS WELCOME PMs!
(I made the s lowercase so it didn't look as much like PMS... ;D)

An Open Letter to anyone suffering from anxiety, particularly those afraid to make your first post or continue posting!

8/30/17 - First Therapy! The road begins in earnest.
10/20/17 - First coming out (to my father)!
12/16/17 - BEGAN HRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5/21/18 - FIRST DAY OUT AS ME!!!!!!!!!
6/08/18 - 2,250 Hair Grafts
6/23/18 - FIRST PRIDE!
8/06/18 - 100%, completely out!
9/08/18 - I'M IN LOVE!!!!
2/27/19 - Name Change!

•  

Mary1

Quote from: TonyaW on December 18, 2017, 12:58:57 PM
The answers seem obvious to many of us, but it's one way to start thinking about things if you are questioning. 

I'd choose all the options where l would be female. 

Took me 50 years to realize that the reason that I always wanted to be female is because that's what I am.  I don't think there was ever a time in the past that I would have even hesitated to push that button if given the chance.

Even before you met your wife?

•  

Cenna

I don't think I could. If it weren't for the confusion and pain I don't think I would have aquired the morals and values I have today - and I wouldn't give those up for anything. So as much as I would want to I dont think the person I would have become would be someone I liked.
  •  

KathyLauren

I would not push a button that made me a cis woman.  (And I certainly wouldn't push one that made me a cis man!)

Don't get me wrong: I wouldn't wish being trans on my worst enemy.  But I am trans.  (Don't need that last button to tell me that.)  It has shaped my life and made me who I am.  And I like who I am.  For the first time in my life, I can be myself, and I am enjoying it  I wouldn't erase who I am just because I had some hardship in the past.  Not when things are finally going so well.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

PurpleWolf

Quote from: KathyLauren on December 22, 2017, 01:04:15 PM
I would not push a button that made me a cis woman.  (And I certainly wouldn't push one that made me a cis man!)

Don't get me wrong: I wouldn't wish being trans on my worst enemy.  But I am trans.  (Don't need that last button to tell me that.)  It has shaped my life and made me who I am.  And I like who I am.  For the first time in my life, I can be myself, and I am enjoying it  I wouldn't erase who I am just because I had some hardship in the past.  Not when things are finally going so well.

Good answer,  ;)!
!!!REBIRTH=legal name change on Feb 16th 2018!!!
This is where life begins for me. It's a miracle I finally got it done.

My body is the home of my soul; not the other way around.

I'm more than anything an individual; I'm too complex to be put in any box.

- A social butterfly not living in social isolation anymore  ;D -
(Highly approachable but difficult to grasp)

The past is overrated - why stick with it when you are able to recreate yourself every day
  •