Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Has anyone experienced complications from a tracheal shave?

Started by scrambledeggs, November 02, 2018, 08:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrambledeggs

So I don't have a prominent Adam's apple but the surgeon I'm interested in wants to do chin sculpting that involves a lower face lift.  He said that after the surgery my Adam's apple will be more noticeable and recommends a tracheal shave.

I have a passing female voice and I'm afraid that this procedure might affect that. I also don't want to end up as a mute or with a raspy voice.

Is there anyone who has experienced complications from a tracheal shave? If so, what happened and was it able to be corrected?
  •  

Ethelind

I have a similar concern. My voice seems to be considered feminine by everyone I meet and even surprises some people who know I'm trans. I personally don't really like it but it's definitely helped my passing over the years. Surgeon and Alexandra have downplayed the risk but it is there. If the vocal chords are permanently damaged there doesn't seem to be a quick fix, or any fix at all idk :/. Maybe voice surgery.
  •  

PurplePelican

There are risks and complications with any procedure..

That said, trawling through my memory doesn't prompt me to go off and do any searches. I don't remember reading about any serious complications from a trach shave. Complaints? Yes - mostly that the surgeon didn't take enough off.
This is not medical advice. Always consult your doctor.
  •  

Dani

I had a trache shave about one year ago. My surgeon was careful to not remove cartilage near the vocal chords because he said that if the vocal chords are damaged, I would have a raspy sounding voice. There is still a small lump where the Adam's apple was, but it is not really noticeable and is definitely a feminine appearance.

Shaving the trache down too much will not give you any better appearance. Pick a surgeon who knows where to stop.
  •  

Lady Sarah

My tracheal shave left vocal cords messed up, and i had lost my female voice range for several years. Eventually, my voice recovered, but it still sucked. Of course, my apple was huge, and had to go. I was sick and tired of people staring me straight in the throat and calling me Sir.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

Jessica_Rose

I had a trachea shave in early Jan of this year. Although my Adam's Apple was average, the surgeon said he had to be somewhat 'aggressive'. My throat was sore for a few weeks and I felt like clearing my throat quite frequently for a month or two, but I did not experience any changes to my voice. The incision has also healed beautifully, even I have a hard time finding it.
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •