Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Estradiol and TMJ

Started by Reyes, December 26, 2017, 10:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reyes

Yes I have had problems with TMJ for years now, and personally I'm not sure it is the hormones as it's only been really bothering me the past few weeks. But, it has gotten so painful it's unbearable.

And I read somewhere that Estradiol can cause a person's TMJ to flare up like this.

Is that true? And if it is, will it stop after awhile??

I can't stand the thought of being forced to end my transition because of this stupid TMJ.
Sunday, November 15th 2015/Sunday, August 7th 2016/Wednesday, May 10th 2017 x2

•  

Doreen

Definitely a question for your doc.  If you had TMJ issues before starting I'm not entirely sure it'd be related at all.  Frankly I had TMJ before starting and it got worse over the years, but had nothing to do with HRT... more to do with bad teeth than anything (born that way).   

My only concern is foxamax with the jaw necrosis issue... especially since I've had several mouth & jaw operations over the years.  So on that issue i'm staying on HRT no matter what it takes.. if only to prevent this.
  •  

Paige

Hi Reyes,

I have TMJ, and the one thing I've come to believe is that nobody is very good at understanding or treating it.  I would really like to see that article.  My guess is that it isn't based on sound science and is instead based on anecdotal evidence.

For me, which is by definition anecdotal, I find the stress from dysphoria actually made my TMJ worse.  E has reduced this tension and my TMJ is better.  I have also done a lot of work on my posture too so that may have something to do with it.  Not sure. 🙂

Take care,
Paige :)
  •  

Dani

Quote from: Reyes on December 26, 2017, 10:52:51 AM
And I read somewhere that Estradiol can cause a person's TMJ to flare up like this.
Is that true? And if it is, will it stop after awhile??

I am not aware of any association between Estradiol and TMJ.

Estradiol will change your fat distribution, overall appearance, mental and emotional perspectives, but it will not cause or aggravate TMJ. If it did a lot more women would have reported having TMJ.
  •