Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Indian food lovers

Started by Siobhan Amanda, December 08, 2017, 02:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlotte F

A lot of the Indian recipes I've read seem to use ghee (clarified butter).  I'm never too keen on the high fat content but whenever I substitute it for something like olive oil, I definitely lose on the taste.  Has anyone found an alternative that still tastes good and keeps it tasting authentic?
  •  

Siobhan Amanda

Quote from: Charlotte F on December 11, 2017, 04:49:51 PM
A lot of the Indian recipes I've read seem to use ghee (clarified butter).  I'm never too keen on the high fat content but whenever I substitute it for something like olive oil, I definitely lose on the taste.  Has anyone found an alternative that still tastes good and keeps it tasting authentic?
Ghee or coconut oil ,for some. Olive oil doesn't work well. You can use butter. All these fats are good for you. The ones to avoid are the ones containing trans fats, oils like canola, sunflowers not too good I think, they work flavour wise but for health, not so.
"You only live twice"
  •  

Sol

I love indian curries.

Tonight I am making a chickpea masala.
  •  

Siobhan Amanda

Quote from: Sol on December 11, 2017, 08:39:57 PM
I love indian curries.

Tonight I am making a chickpea masala.
Haha, me too, I just had one for breakfast 😊
"You only live twice"
  •  

davina61

The place I get online supplies from list vegetable gee . As most recipes only need a few table spoons I make my own by melting butter (unsalted) skim of foam and drain off leaving any solids behind. If given the choice then veg cooking oil  instead.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: broage on December 11, 2017, 08:22:05 PM
Ghee or coconut oil ,for some. Olive oil doesn't work well. You can use butter. All these fats are good for you. The ones to avoid are the ones containing trans fats, oils like canola, sunflowers not too good I think, they work flavour wise but for health, not so.
I haven't heard anything bad about canola oil, but fats get somewhat of a bad rap. Plenty people pack on pounds with fat free food. What was an eye opener for me was doing ketogenic diet. I eat plenty of fat and my blood chemistry is the best it's ever been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Siobhan Amanda

Quote from: Gertrude on December 12, 2017, 06:41:53 AM
I haven't heard anything bad about canola oil, but fats get somewhat of a bad rap. Plenty people pack on pounds with fat free food. What was an eye opener for me was doing ketogenic diet. I eat plenty of fat and my blood chemistry is the best it's ever been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hi Gertrude, Yes, I was on the ketogenic diet for three years on the advice of my doctor and all my blood markers improved, lost ten kilos and routinely had double cream with nuts and some berries for breakfast. I've been mostLy paleo for the last two but still have the odd month where I revisit.
"You only live twice"
  •  

p

I love Indian food and am always looking for a fun recipe. I like trying to make foods that I didn't grow up eating at home because then my home cooking feels more exciting and it keeps me from spending on restaurants. I find that watching videos really helps me to understand better than reading recipes, especially for things like what texture should roti dough be. Most often I just search on YouTube for the dish I want to make and look at a couple recipes. Much of the Indian food available in the US is North Indian food (saag paneer, chana masala, chicken tikka masala, naan bread), but in my town we have a large South Indian community and their food is different but also very delicious (dosa, sambar, idli, most things are vegetarian and many of the S Indian restaurants are vegetarian only). Try some South Indian dishes if you are looking to explore more. I also love Indo-Chinese food, which is basically Chinese recipes adapted to Indian tastes (much like American Chinese food, which differs from traditional Chinese recipes). Also, there is a fun show on Netflix (American version at least) about Indian cuisine called Raja, Rasoi Aur Anya Kahaniyaan that will make you crazy hungry--my hubby refuses to watch because it's so appetizing!
Patti

Something is off - 2016-17
Out to husband - 2/14/17
Full-time - 3/9/17
HRT - 6/14/17
  •  

davina61

Have a new cook book for Christmas its The Indian Cookery Course by Monisha Bharadwaj, trained in India and  runs an Indian cookery school in London. Not just recipes but a lot of how to's  , how spices work and how to make spice mixes 
GRS 2021 5th Nov

•  

Siobhan Amanda

Quote from: davina61 on December 26, 2017, 08:27:16 AM
Have a new cook book for Christmas its The Indian Cookery Course by Monisha Bharadwaj, trained in India and  runs an Indian cookery school in London. Not just recipes but a lot of how to's  , how spices work and how to make spice mixes 
Hi Davina, hope your Christmas was great! That sounds like a handy book to have around,that was the book from your mother?.
Siobhan x
"You only live twice"
  •  

davina61

Spotted it when she came Christmas shopping with me so she bought it for my present , used the Gee method from it today and its less fiddle than the other ways I have found.  Needed it for the spicy flat breads to go with the duck Jelfraize and aubergine and tomato rice. Reheated the rice , not made me ill yet (you have to be careful due to the bacteria on rice)   
GRS 2021 5th Nov

•  

Siobhan Amanda

Quote from: davina61 on December 26, 2017, 04:11:08 PM
Spotted it when she came Christmas shopping with me so she bought it for my present , used the Gee method from it today and its less fiddle than the other ways I have found.  Needed it for the spicy flat breads to go with the duck Jelfraize and aubergine and tomato rice. Reheated the rice , not made me ill yet (you have to be careful due to the bacteria on rice)   
Davina, I'm completely starving now, I must find breakfast and it needs to be spicy!
Thanks for the post, I'll track that book down😀
"You only live twice"
  •