Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

i regret detransitioning, even though i understand why i did...

Started by jinepyaw, December 28, 2017, 07:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinepyaw

hi everyone,

just as a warning there will probably be some triggering stuff in this post.

im 20 pre- T and feeling like a fool.

The first time i thought i was trans i was 13. and still 7 years later, im no closer to where i need to be. Tbh it wasnt completely my fault as my family took it very badly. To cut a long story short, my mother constantly berated me and when i got to 18 she threatened to kill me if i didnt "stop with my bull****"  or in other words, stop being trans.
My dad was supportive of me, but he was also sexually abusive and he used his "acceptance" to groom me more.
Anyway since 18 i left home and  my life kind of took a downward turn but its getting much better now.
i had and still have a lot of issues, but over the past year or so ive been receiving therapy and it has really opened up a lot of doors for me. But to be honest, i was completely expecting to go through therapy and come out of it feeling like a cis woman. But the exact opposite has happened.
after i left home i basically went back to living as female, i feel safer being perceived as female, but it doesnt feel true to who i am. Im shortening this massively to save confusion.
I am glad i had therapy before doing anything too permanent, i feel ive learnt a lot about myself and i feel more secure in my identity. (im quite effeminate) but i cant help feeling like ive wasted time, and i feel almost like i have to come out again. I know that i should be able to start therapy for trans things in about 7 months. How do i stop beating myself up over detransitioning, i feel ive been a bit of a coward.
  •  

Arch

Welcome to the boards. The way I see things, we do whatever we must do in order to survive. If survival means detransitioning until we are in a better position to figure things out or transition "for real," then so be it. Being afraid--especially when it's justified--is not the same as being a coward. You did what you had to do, end of story. 

Try not to dwell on wasted time. I'm not saying to bury the past abuses because that's not good for you. But fretting about how much time you've wasted is, well, a waste of time, as I have discovered in my own life. Wouldn't you rather expend that energy and time on doing something positive in your life? Something to take you further and further away from the abusive past that forced you to make those survival decisions in the first place? Whatever you figure out, whatever you decide about your future, is fine. You are finding yourself. And now you seem to be in a much better situation to forge your own life without interference from people who do not have your interests at heart.

I sometimes still think about the "wasted" time between the moment I came out to myself as a transsexual and the moment I actually did something about it: That delay lasted for as long as you have been alive. But my logical side realizes that trans resources and support were limited in the eighties and nineties and that I was nowhere near strong enough to start dealing with my condition. In the meantime, I lived my life. Some of that time was truly wasted, yes. And I did miss out on living those years as a young man, so I can look at the whole time period as "wasted" because I was living as a woman. But I did a lot of things as a woman that I would have done as a man anyway. And if I had transitioned earlier, I would have missed out on some other things for sure. I'm better off if I accept that my path was my path and I just had to walk it. The only way to avoid taking that route would have been . . . to live in a different world. Circumstances beyond my control forced me to make decisions that I wouldn't have made in a better world. It seems to me that you were in a similar situation.

I'm so glad that you found this site. Keep coming back. And don't beat yourself up for necessary compromises. You are alive, and you are where you are now, so you must have done something right!
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Allison S

I'm not ftm but when I see and hear the results of hrt for all ages- I'm really shocked. I really didn't realize what testosterone does until I saw mostly people your age transitioning. And I went through all of male puberty! But I'm oblivious to what it changed in me because I wasn't very perceptive as a kid.

Anyway I know that doesn't take away the time you had to detransition but know that in this journey we aren't rushing against time. When hrt starts we embrace time and the future when we (hopefully) will be seeing changes... best of luck to you!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
  •  

Ryuichi13

What's done is done.  Let it go, and look forward to the future.  Unless you have a time machine of some kind, you can't change the past.  So work towards your future instead.  Become the person you WANT to be instead of focusing on the person you used to be.

We're here to support you any way you go.  So go and become yourself, whomever that person may be.

You did what you had to to survive.  Now that you are out of that abusive situation, you are free to become yourself.

Good luck and Gods bless.

Ryuichi

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

•