Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Cassandra's Tale - The Making of a Brave New Girl

Started by SassyCassie, January 08, 2018, 05:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donica

Quote from: SassyCassie on May 10, 2019, 06:48:30 PM
I think a part of me still can't believe it's real. I filed it away with the rest of my vital transition-related documents - part of a road map of this new person I have created out of the contorted remnants of that previous life. I can't help but wonder if a part of my lesser-than-expected reaction is due to the stresses that have been weighing upon me lately. It feels like I've hardened up because of it all - the age-old defense mechanism that had facilitated my survival over the years. I know how it came about and I understand its purpose but it feels like it represents something of a return to the "before times" which disturbs me a bit.

Maybe it's that very hardening that enables the fierceness I've been seeking. Maybe the mere awareness of what's going on will be enough to keep from letting it take over. Still, it feels like it's handicapping me, socially.

No worries on any copyrights. Friends have the right to take anything I may say and make it their own! That is, unless it's something that would summon the nice young men in their clean white coats - in which case, you're on your own!

Jessica, I just read up on the process for making birth certificate changes. I'm sorry it's such a convoluted process that has to involve judges. That was the very same fear I had when having to get my name changed here in a stereotypically "redneck" county in Florida. You'll get it done though. Look how far you've come!

Hugs to you both!!
The hardening sure helps us stand up to the challenges we face. I think it's a good thing.

[emoji50] As I run away screaming at a knock on the door from the awful men in the white lab coats [emoji51] "I swear it wasn't me!!!".

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Donica on May 10, 2019, 07:40:50 PM
[emoji50] As I run away screaming at a knock on the door from the awful men in the white lab coats [emoji51] "I swear it wasn't me!!!".

Mmm-hmm. Sure, it wasn't you. I suppose it was the one-armed man! :D
  •  

Stevi

Cassie,

Congratulations on you newly minted birth certificate.  I, too, got a letter from Pennsylvania one day.  In fact, I got two on the same day.  The first to be opened informed me that the copy of the name change order was not sufficiently legible and I would need to resubmit.  The second had my new birth certificate in it.  Evidently, someone had the sense to look at the enhanced contrast photocopy I had included and reversed the earlier judgement.  As with you, it was the last of the government documents to be completed.  PA has such a large backlog for processing vital statistics type documents.  Birth certificates take a long time but death certificates take almost forever.  No joke.  I checked the estimates on line when I was concerned if they even got my application forms. At the time, it was nearly a whole year.

SQUEEE,
Stevi
  •  

SassyCassie

The Pros of Cons

In spite of being nominally an IT professional, it's been an uphill battle against social anxiety - most particularly when involving large groups of people.

Though I've been full-time for nearly two years, I find myself still afflicted by this condition. That, coupled with all of these relatively new emotions can make for a, shall we say, less-than-pleasant experience. A prime example was a security conference I went to last year, here in the local area. During both days of the conference, I spent at least an hour each day out in my car, having a total meltdown. Last week was my second year at that same conference and I've managed to learn a thing or two about why things worked out the way they did last year.

First and foremost, second puberty was working its magic upon the entire range of emotions. Work-related stress had a lot to do with it too. One other thing which was a contributing factor was the sheer breakneck pace of the conference schedule. I don't know if it was intended to retain engagement from people with rather short attention spans or what but it seemed that there was rather little time to breathe in between the sessions, let alone handle other important bodily functions such as answering emails from work.

In fact, I think the pace, above all else, was what broke me last year. I just couldn't keep up and was feeling overwhelmed - the surest path to having a "lady minute" if I ever heard of one!

This year was much better. The work stress was still there but all of the inputs crashing down upon my psyche were much easier to manage this time around. I did find myself having the desire to sit at the less-crowded tables during breakfast and lunch but if engaged in a conversation, I would participate. During lunch the second day, I found myself conversing with two ladies from the banking industry. Like most such conversations these days, it hardly counts as a "Squee moment" but just being there and holding up my end of a three-way conversation without a shred of awkwardness felt like it was at least slightly squee-worthy.

An IT Pro at the Con!

Really the only difficulty I had was when trying to go home each night. The venue for the convention charges for parking, handsomely, I might add. The organization hosting the event gave us vouchers that would at least cut the cost in half but still we had to pay. My problem was that upon trying to exit, none of my cards worked for payment. The first night, it was pretty late as I and my Bestie (for whom I had wrangled a pass for the con) were trying to get out and get to where her car was parked. The second day however...

The con was over and with several hundred people all trying to leave at once, you can imagine the insanely long line of cars trying to get out via the single exit gate. After 20 minutes or so, I finally got my turn at the gate and of course, just as it had the previous evening, none of my cards worked...again. This time though, I had at least 20 cars stacked up behind me, each one full of people just trying to get out of there so they could escape the area before traffic reached its usual ludicrous level for a Friday afternoon.

By the time I got to the point of pushing the call button on the gate panel, I was not in a particularly pleasant mood. A man answered and I explained to him that none of my cards were working at the gate.

"Yes sir, did you put in your card with the stripe facing up and to the right?"

Oh no, you didn't... Oh HELL no!

I spoke very carefully and precisely, "First of all, it's ma'am, not sir and second of all, both of my cards came back 'declined'. Now, I'm stuck here with 20 cars behind me full of angry people and this thing isn't working. Now, I don't know what I'm going to do."

I pitched my voice a little higher and spoke a bit faster with the last part, deciding to play up the part of the distraught woman dealing with a machine that wouldn't work. A minute or two later, a rather large guy, plainly inconvenienced by the whole situation, came out and repeatedly tried my card with the parking ticket and had the same result as I did. Horns blared as he then proceeded to grill me about having any other cards or cash, neither of which I had at the time. Finally with an exasperated huff, he ape-walked over to the side of the gate and turned a key in it, raising the arm so I could finally escape that trap and start my weekend.

During that episode in the parking garage, I felt a twinge of guilt at possibly reinforcing a gender stereotype but I was already committed so I just followed through.

•  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Stevi on May 13, 2019, 10:04:48 PM
Cassie,

Congratulations on you newly minted birth certificate.

Thank you, Stevi! I had read that PA takes up to six months to correct and return birth certificates. Of course, they were pretty quick to cash the check I sent with mine! :)

I needed to order a newer copy of my birth certificate for getting my passport (I still had my original BC but they needed one in the newer format, including the parents' names) and that's the one I sent for correction. I've still got the original with the old name on it. The jury is still out as to whether or not that will become a keepsake of days past or be relegated to the burn pile along with the other items still bearing that name. I suppose I'll make that choice when the time comes.

Still, the corrected birth certificate took about 5 months to finally arrive. If ever I had to not be in a hurry to get a document updated, that was the one!
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: SassyCassie on May 13, 2019, 10:18:10 PMDuring lunch the second day, I found myself conversing with two ladies from the banking industry. Like most such conversations these days, it hardly counts as a "Squee moment" but just being there and holding up my end of a three-way conversation without a shred of awkwardness felt like it was at least slightly squee-worthy.

Considering that my network security skills are non-existent or 16 years out of date, I mostly sat quietly and observed at dinner, and I was in awe of the comfort level and easy banter you had with the others at our table. I was bursting with pride how you carried on a normal conversation with two strangers with no self-consciousness. I was even able to join in occasionally when the subject strayed to the ageless topic of users. Among IT professionals, you can always get a rueful grin by rolling your eyes and saying, "users!"

I later realized that once we get into a subject we're intimately familiar with, that we can either discuss with others as peers, or present in teaching mode, all other considerations fall away, including any real sense of self. I guess that's what I experienced when I did the presentation on building airplanes a few weeks ago. You were in your element and it was so cool watching you be you, with zero awkwardness.

QuoteDuring that episode in the parking garage, I felt a twinge of guilt at possibly reinforcing a gender stereotype but I was already committed so I just followed through.

[beatbox] As women, we use the tools available to us. He was the one imposing the stereotype. You had every right to run with it.[/beatbox]

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

SassyCassie

13 Days

The days are counting down.

13 days until I get on a plane with my Bestie and we make our way across the Atlantic.

Some of the places we will be visiting, I have been before, between 33 and 40 years ago. Who can say whether or not there will be some ghosts of that ancient past, momentarily roused from their slumber by footfalls, familiar yet somehow different? The memories of these places have grown dim over the decades and come only in brief flashes.

...A clock tower shrouded in scaffolding.
...A man shouting at passersby, holding a sign that says "The End is At Hand!"
...The sound of a bomb detonating in a building just down the street.
...Watching snow-covered peaks from the window of a train.
...Sleeping in a bed made like a shallow box with a radio built into one side of it.

The last time I traveled outside of the country (aside from the Bahamas) was at age 13. It would be disingenuous to say that I'm not afraid, if ever so slightly. I'll be retracing some steps from a lifetime ago but also treading some new paths and making some new memories. Even the places from days gone by will be seen with new eyes and a different perspective.

Those old ghosts may come forth to give a warm greeting to this new loving, caring, feeling person they met long ago...or they may choose not to. I'll be happy and content just to let them lie quietly within the hidden places of distant memory.
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Cassie, I hope you and your Bestie have an awesome trip! To be honest, leaving the country would be somewhat intimidating for me as well. I have never left the states, and I have never had a passport. If my new birth certificate ever comes through I just may decide to correct that statistic. Safe travels to both of you... and I have heard they have amazing chocolate in Europe!

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Stevi

Cassie,

I see your journey is coming up quickly and soon.  I hope the two of you have a safe and fun trip.  More than that I hope for a good outcome for the main reasons you two are making this journey.  Both of you are in both mine and Penny's thoughts.

Stevi
  •  

Donica

SQUEEEEE!!! Have a safe and enjoyable trip Cassie. I will be following your flight.

Hugs!
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

KathyLauren

2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

steph2.0

@Jessica Rose
@Stevi
@Donica
@KathyLauren

Since Cassie is busy getting things ready, I passed on your best wishes to her, and we both send back our thanks. We're looking forward to an awesome trip. As always, there have been, and probably will be, the inevitable snags, but we're working through them together. We make a good team. Watch my thread for our travelogue.

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •