Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Cassandra's Tale - The Making of a Brave New Girl

Started by SassyCassie, January 08, 2018, 05:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SassyCassie

Mar 23 2017, 10.03pm
Had my first laser session along with my introductory visit to Dr. {HRT DOCTOR} yesterday.

Yesterday started out on a nice positive note. I was full of optimism about the future and really looking forward to my two appointments. When I got close to downtown, I started practicing my female voice so I could actually try it out on other people in a trans-friendly environment. I wanted to at least start making an effort to use it while out and about so I can sound more...genuine(?) as time goes by.

When I got to {CLINIC} for my laser hair removal appointment, I started reading through work emails. What a mistake that was. There was an incident that once again highlighted my tendency to procrastinate on things until they become and emergency. They always seem to become an emergency when I'm not there. Not good.

The hair removal treatment went well. {ELECTROLOGIST} was very thorough in explaining how the process works and she took great care to ensure that everything would be safe and effective. The level of pain during the treatment was a bit more than I expected though. They say that each discharge of the laser feels like someone snapping a rubber band against your skin. That may be so, but it happens dozens of times in succession, typically about a second or so apart. That kind of pain adds up and gets pretty intense. I was able to breathe through the pain for much of it, but toward the end, I was crushing the life out of the little stress ball she gave me to hold.

It reminded me a bit of the pain of getting a tattoo done. There was the initial stinging sensation that ratcheted up to the point where I started to wonder if I could handle much more. Then came the endorphin dump, just like the tattoo process. It helped take some of the edge off of the pain and left me a bit hazy after the treatment was complete. I wish I could have been a bit more articulate afterward, but all I had to offer were monosyllabic croaks in response to {ELECTROLOGIST}'s questions and statements. So much for the elegant female voice!

My second appointment was with Dr. {HRT DOCTOR} at the clinic. This one I was also excited to get to because I could finally present my HRT letter to the doctor and get officially started on both {REDACTED} and a full-on androgen blocker. That represents another huge step since it will not only further my development as a woman but will start to diminish the bulky testosterone-fueled muscle I've been carrying around since my teens.

Other trans women who have undergone HRT often refer to the first few years as experiencing a second puberty. I can kind of relate as the {REDACTED} I've been taking has had a noticeable effect on both my mind and body. According to Dr. {HRT DOCTOR}, it seems to have been more effective than expected, possibly due to the low testosterone level I already had before dosing myself. She seemed surprised when she took a look at my breasts and I told her I wasn't wearing any pads or anything - it was all me. She said that maybe I won't need as high of a dosage as she originally thought.

I asked if she prescribed any other types of HRT drugs other than {REDACTED} and {REDACTED} and she said she would prescribe progesterone later on to help with breast development.

I came away from that appointment with an order for blood work and a list of prescriptions to start on as soon as I can get them filled.

The ride is just getting started!
  •  

Cassi

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Cassi on January 27, 2018, 07:04:10 PM
My question is:

When's the movie coming out?

I have no idea but I'm sure, like most movies featuring a trans-woman character, my role will be played by a cis-woman!  ::)

Of course, that little tiny voice of low self-esteem would answer that question with, "But I'm not that interesting."

That voice hasn't had much to say lately though - probably because it gets ignored most days. Like today, when I had to make a quick run to Wal Mart to grab something. It was one of those brief introspective and revelatory moments when I realized that I had just driven over to an unfamiliar Wal Mart in a barely familiar area, grabbed my purse and marched in to get what I needed, completely heedless of the anxiety that would have been almost crippling many months ago. This is the new normal.
  •  

SassyCassie

Mar 21 2017, 04.43pm
I told my (work) friend "L" today.
She handled the news very well and was totally supportive when I laid it all out at lunch today.

We were sharing stories about the various things that landed us in court and while I had decided to tell her on the Friday before last, it had to wait until today since we had an unexpected plus-one for the walk to the parking structure.

I started off with the, "In addition to the weight loss, you have probably noticed some changes in me - both in appearance, mannerisms, and such." She said she had noticed and thought there was something else going on but didn't ask, preferring to wait until I was ready to talk about it.

We got to the topic of HRT after some talk about my days growing up. I mentioned that I had been self-medicating for the last 112 days and after about the 85-day mark, I started having pain in the nipple area because of the physical changes that are happening. I said, "You may or may not have noticed that I'm a little bigger up here," while motioning toward my breasts. She said she had noticed but thought it might be due to the weight loss.

One significant thing we talked about was my including (Our Director) "Rajah" in my circle of friends-in-the-know, so to speak. She suggested a similar approach to what my therapist suggested about her - that "Rajah" might feel left out as a friend if I were to not tell him before setting up the meeting with HR. So, I guess I'll be bringing him into the circle at some point in the near future. Maybe I should see if I can talk him into going out for a beer or two after work one day. As long as that will take to get our schedules to coincide, it should leave me with plenty of time to prepare. Plus, I'll have the first laser session and visit to Dr. {HRT DOCTOR} behind me and will actually have a paper trail from multiple professionals to back me up. As the learning process goes on, hopefully I'll be just a little bit better informed and able to articulate myself when explaining my situation.

I hope he'll be as understanding as my other friends I've told so far.

Mar 24 2017, 08.36pm
I only ever imagined I would get to this day.

As Dr. {HRT DOCTOR} put it, I'm now officially "in the system". I'm a male-to-female transgender person. Transition has begun and now I have the records to back me up.

I've asked "Rajah" if we can go out for a couple of beers after work one day next week, just the two of us, so we can talk about some "personal stuff". I didn't elaborate and he didn't pry, which is just as well. We're set tentatively for next Friday, the 31st. I'm going to have the chat with him and hope for the best.

With any luck, it will impart an understanding as to why I've been so distant for a while now. I hope he can be as understanding and supportive as my other friends I've told so far. I'll have to include (our Assistant Director) "Candyman" as well shortly thereafter as long as things don't go completely to hell.

Author's note: "Rajah" and "Candyman" are nicknames I've come up with for these guys. Hey, it's my story and I'll tell it how I like! I realized that there are a lot of people in my story and using just a first initial might get confusing to some. Anyway, sometimes I give people nicknames after I've spent a lot of time around them. Those who know me, just wait. If you're around me long enough, you just might get one too! Needless to say, I have them for most of my co-workers because I practically live there.
  •  

SassyCassie

Mar 25 2017, 10.35am
Started the new meds today.
Well, my first dose of Spiro, anyway.

I feel like the roller-coaster is picking up speed somewhat, given the leaps forward I've had this week.

First laser hair removal treatment.
First visit to an endocrinologist.
First dose of full-blown anti-androgen drugs.
In another 56 hours, I'll be off of the {REDACTED} patches and starting my first of the 7-day generic {REDACTED} patches. It will be nice to not be stuck to the 84-hour timer for changing my patches. I kind of wonder how rapidly my estradiol levels drop in between the time when the patch wears off and I apply the next one. Hopefully the new patches will be a little more manageable but I just have to not forget to change them each week.

Thankfully, both new meds are covered under my insurance so instead of paying about $40 a month for each one, they're $10 each. I can definitely manage that.

What I find, I don't know, ironic is that at one point, I was dismayed at the prospect of having to take some kind of medication basically for the rest of my life. Of course, that was in regard to antidepressants and blood pressure meds. I had issues with that but by the same token, am welcoming the need to take the hormones for equally as long. Well, maybe not that long but certainly for the next decade or so at least.

Mar 25 2017, 10.47am
So many good things happening lately!
Unfortunately, I can't share them at home.

I've been practicing my voice, mostly during the drive to and from work. I think I'm improving pretty quickly the more I use it. After a brief warm-up period, I'm sounding pretty consistent and more genuine, I think. Yesterday, I had used the curling iron to get some waves in my hair - still need practice on that one but I was fairly satisfied with the results. I was dressed in my jeans and had on that black 3/4-sleeve top with the pleated front. "Rajah" said it looked like something he or a Hindu priest might wear to temple. Anyway, I went to Target to pick up my new prescriptions along with a few groceries for my sick wife at home. When I went to check out, my throat was starting to feel a bit scratchy from using my girl voice so I had it toned down a bit. I said a few things to the rather bored-looking cashier - just idle chitchat really, but at one point during the transaction, I caught her taking a good hard look at me. It gave me the impression that maybe I had a brief passing moment just then. Yes, she probably clocked me as trans, but it took getting up close and personal and interacting - not just from across a crowded room.

Maybe, had she been more attentive, she might have read me sooner but still I call this a win, honestly. Maybe if I had kept up with my voice, there would have been no confusion at all.

Back to the second title line of this post. In spite of the fact that we've pretty much decided that our marriage is over, I still feel like I'm walking on eggshells. I'm hesitant to do things like talk excitedly about finally being officially on HRT, practicing my voice and getting some feedback from my wife on it, and finally the issue of names and gender pronouns.

The name and pronouns thing is something I really didn't think would bother me all that much but that was before I started going out completely 'en-femme'. Now, it bugs me when she refers to me as "he" or "him" and she calls me {DEADNAME}. I really want to take a moment to ask her to at least try to make an effort to use "she" and "her" and the name Cassandra in reference to me.

Once again ,I'm afraid. I'm afraid it might set a negative tone for the rest of the day. I'm afraid it will be just another one of those reminders that we are rapidly moving toward no longer being a "we" anymore.

Mar 26 2017, 11.07pm
How to Love Being a Non-Passing Trans Woman in 9 Affirming Steps
Excerpted from http://everydayfeminism.com/2016/01/how-love-being-non-passing/

1. Accept That You Will Never Pass All the Time
There will always be someone telling you that you are ugly, unnatural, unfeminine, that you don't pass. Sometimes, you will be that person

2. Grieve the Body That You Wanted, But Cannot Have
This is the fantasy that tells you – not always incorrectly – that with passing comes respect, opportunity, safety, love. This fantasy entraps you, imprisons you, because it keeps you in a constant state of longing to be something, someone else.

3. Meet Non-Passing Trans Women Who Take Your Breath Away
They make you uncomfortable, because they represent everything that you were so scared of becoming – because they don't fit inside the incredibly narrow margin of transgender respectability. And what's more, they don't even seem to care.

4. Start to Dream of New Ways of Looking More Than Pretty
You can wear spaghetti straps on your "man shoulders" if you damn well want to. Better yet, try a dress with shoulder pads that makes them look huge and imperious and intimidating. If you are already taller than the "average" woman, why not heels that make you stand out even higher above the mainstream crowd?

5. Learn to Love the 'Ugly'
Because your non-passing, ugly trans woman body forces people to confront the reality of their own ignorance, the limitations of their tolerance and the smallness of their worlds.

6. Find Your Fierceness
Fierceness is the ability to walk in the world like every >-bleeped-<ty alleyway and downtown street is your runway. It is capacity to ride on every crowded bus full of gawkers and catcallers as though seated on a throne.
Fierceness is the courage it takes to get out of bed in the morning when you know that your sisters are being beaten and killed.
Fierceness glows like a flame in you, even when you are feeling your worst and most defeated: it lights you up and makes you shine.

7. Doubt Yourself
There are days when you fly. When you take the world by storm, impervious to harm in your femme armor.
And there are days when you collapse. When all it takes is a misplaced masculine pronoun, or a hurtful question from your partner, or a shouted insult on the subway to take your armor apart.
There are days when you open your Facebook feed, and right there is an article reporting that yet another trans woman has been killed or committed suicide.
These are the days when you fall.

8. Get Your Groove Back
This is how you pick yourself and put yourself back together: You sleep. Cry. Eat >-bleeped-<ty foods, or fancy food, if you can afford it. Watch bad TV on the Internet. Call your trans sister and let her tell you about her new amazing outfit/hairdo/manicure/partner/job/art project until you get jealous and have to hang up the phone. Cry. Write bad poetry and post it on Tumblr. Call your trans sister again. Have a heart to heart. Sleep some more.
Then you open the door and face the world again, for all its danger and all its gifts.
Wear something that makes you feel good about yourself.

9. Rinse and Repeat
For the rest of your life.

Author's note: On the subject of passing or non-passing, please put aside for a moment any argument about me to the contrary because this is how I felt back then.

#6 and #8 of that list are particularly meaningful to me and are two pieces of advice I've taken to heart. (Especially that now I actually do have a trans-sister I can call when I need to be emotionally rescued.) #7 also, to a lesser degree. None of us like days like that, but #6 helps prevent that and #8 helps relieve the pain.
  •  

Jayne01

Cassie, I'm sorry your marriage ended. I know this happened early last year, but I've just read your post and it seems very fresh. I am terrified of losing my wife. She is my entire world. She is accepting who I am, but it seems as though only just. I am afraid that each step I take will be the one that ends our marriage. I can't imagine living a life without my wife and I can't imagine not progressing with my transition. I am currently just riding the wave without knowing where it will dump me. Sorry, I've turned this into being about me. I agree with Cassi, when is the movie coming out?

Jayne
  •  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Jayne01 on January 28, 2018, 10:39:51 AM
I can't imagine living a life without my wife and I can't imagine not progressing with my transition. I am currently just riding the wave without knowing where it will dump me. Sorry, I've turned this into being about me. I agree with Cassi, when is the movie coming out?

I feel for you, Jayne. I know those thoughts that are circulating around in your mind. They were my constant companion for a long time and, to a degree, still are. I hope that your situation is different from mine and she just needs time to adjust to the amazing new person who is emerging.

The old, fatalistic coping mechanism that had become a part of me over the years kept telling me that this would be the end of what we had together but deep down inside, I knew it had ended a long time ago. We were either too stubborn or too fearful to let it die. My coming out to her and telling her that I planned to live the rest of my life as a woman merely drove a stake through its heart and finished it off.

It was only several months later when I came to understand that a relationship based on fear is unhealthy to its core.
  •  

SassyCassie

Mar 26 2017, 11.23pm
What started out as a positive day ended on a down note.
We started out with a nice brunch at Denny's today. We were both so glad that, in spite of us getting there so late, Shelly, our favorite server, was still on shift.

We got greeted by a pleasant, "Hello, ladies" which gave me a little glow inside.

From there we went over to Big Lots and then to Jo-Anne Fabrics where I managed to find what I thought were perfect replacements for the button I broke on my favorite purple button-down top.I was glad for finding those and also at the prospect of only having to sew one button instead of redoing the whole set. Not that I have any doubts as to my sewing skill, but sewing buttons is just plain time-consuming. I suppose, though, I could do it while sitting in front of the TV like any reasonably well-adjusted American.

Afterward, we went over to the mall and had smoothies made by a rather surly young lady. They tasted good, so no harm, no foul. Then, we were off to Belk's where I had hoped to pick up the Tresor gift set I had been eyeing for a while with the 1oz perfume bottle and tubes of both shower gel and body lotion. Of course, they didn't have any of the gift packs on hand so the lady (Mika) at the Lancome counter offered to order it for me. I figured that would be fine since the last things we ordered from Belk's came in a pretty timely manner. I gave her all my information to put in the computer for the order and we ran into a brick wall. For special orders, the machine would only accept cards as payment.

That was when the trouble came up. Thinking in hindsight, I should probably have given her 'Cassandra' as the name for the order instead of '{DEADNAME}'. I guess I'm still not 100% comfortable using that name for day-to-day stuff. Now, had I not been presenting as female and at the same time, pushing my voice into my "girl-voice" range, this may not have been as big an issue for me but when she got distracted and was jetting back and forth between her counter and the one where the order was being filled out, she kept calling over to me, "Sir, I'll be right with you, okay sir? I'll just be a moment sir."

Over and over, like a belt-fed Machine Gun, she fired a withering rain of "sirs" at me. It would not surprise me in the least if I were to wake up one night in a cold sweat, having had some kind of flashback to this casual verbal battering. It took a conscious effort of willpower to withstand this fusillade without returning fire with my own arsenal of lexical weaponry. I think what made me hold back on that was that I wasn't sure if it was deliberate or something she was just doing unconsciously.

I ended up just buying the 1oz perfume bottle and she gave me the 15% off coupon they were offering as well as a sample jar of moisturizer. I walked away and met up with my wife who had gone to sit down by the fountain while I was lost in the fog of war by the cosmetic counter. I had thought that I wasn't going to let the whole incident bother me that much but I suppose she could see that something was wrong. I held back for a time and said that nothing was wrong but after a short walk, I confessed that something was indeed wrong. I told her about those few minutes dealing with the sales lady and the barrage of 'sirs' I had just endured. I told her I didn't think that sort of thing would bother me that much until it actually happened today and that it did bother me - a lot. It bothered me to the point that I spent a good part of the evening in tears, both doing some cleaning in my closet and giving the boys (kittens I adopted a year before) some attention. The cleaning helped, but spending time with the boys just made me feel worse. All of the regrets I've had in keeping them confined to only half of the upstairs because they don't get along with the other cats, came flooding back in a rain of tears. As I had no tissues or anything of the kind, every time I sniffled, I startled the poor dears. Once I had had all I could take, I went back, finished tidying my closet and got to feeding the cats their dinner.

After everyone was filling their bellies, I decided it was time to go and fill mine, but not before taking off my now surely annihilated eye makeup.

This, if nothing else, may serve to drive home the point that I'm ready for a switch in gender pronouns.

Mar 30 2017, 10.56pm
I've been sharing my experiences with "L" lately, and I've got to say, it's a lot less stressful to have a friend to share this stuff with. We went out to lunch yesterday with a couple of the other ladies from work and she mentioned that since starting transitioning, I seem a lot more at ease, especially when we were out to lunch that day. Thinking about it, I tend to agree. A year ago, I would have either said almost nothing the whole time or might not have even gone along in the first place.

She said that there had been questions about me like, "What's with the jewelry?" and "Is he gay or goth or something?"

I've been expecting questions like that, especially the gay question. I've half a mind, if asked that question directly, to respond with, "Not exactly," though I'm not quite ready to start dropping more blatant hints to my co-workers.

We all had a good time during lunch though. I felt like I fit right in.

Another experience I had that same day was another female coworker with whom I was conversing started to tell me some details about her neighbors' abusive relationship which recently resulted in a miniature episode of 'Cops'. This segued into her own story of living with an abusive spouse. Stories like these make me feel like the "river of >-bleeped-<" trans people have to swim through just pales in comparison. Granted, I've only dipped my big toe in this river so far, so I have to give nothing but respect to the women who have survived years living in emotionally and sometimes physically abusive relationships. The fact that they have come out the other side and survived intact is a testament to the strength within (I hope) all of us.

In spite of having grown up assigned male from birth, it still boggled my mind that guys like that are so common out there in the wild. Then again, I never really got the whole 'machismo' thing that seems to rule the lives of so many men and boys.
  •  

SassyCassie

Mar 31 2017, 10.42pm
Today was the International Transgender Day of Visibility.
Rather than go to one of the local gatherings planned for the day with which I'm still trying to achieve a comfort level, I took another step toward my future.

I decided to make myself visible to one more person. I came out to my friend and Director of our department at work. I had hoped to have 'the chat', as I've come to call it, with him in a nice relaxed environment with a couple of pints in hand. Instead, we had it in the cab of my truck while on the way over to Mellow Mushroom which is where I had hoped to do this. All of my fears about this moment were desperately clamoring for my attention but I had 'trying not to plow into another vehicle' to focus on while I spilled out my story to him.

I had earnestly hoped that this would go well and it did - well beyond my wildest expectations. I told him that I love my job and enjoy working with the people we have around us and that my intent was to transition while on the job and hopefully actually keep my job. He reassured me that barring any sort of major slip-up, that wasn't going to be an issue. He was so kind in telling me that he would support me 100% in this and was in agreement that we would need to have that meeting with the HR folks in the near future.

My heart leapt when I heard this and it was such an incredible relief to have finally had this conversation and it going so well.

After all that, we took the time to go in and enjoy a couple of pints as I had originally planned. In all, it turned out to be a good evening.

The full impact of what I had just done, what I had just achieved, didn't really hit me until I was on my way home. I actually had to pull off into a rest area on the highway for a few minutes while I cried joyful tears at the thought of what a huge milestone I had just crossed.

Author's note: Shortly after we had arrived at our destination and seated ourselves at the bar, "Rajah"'s wife showed up and sat on the bar stool opposite him. I was already on a roll, so after sharing greetings, she struck up a conversation with a gentleman next to her, and I continued with my story. There I was, pouring my heart out to my Director and friend of almost 15 years, while his wife sat mere feet away, completely oblivious to exactly what was transpiring between us. In retrospect, it's funny in a weird sort of way. At the time, I felt like I was making a desperate throw of the dice with all the money on the table. It was my make-or-break moment and it worked out!

Because of this, in my mind, the somber tone of TDOR will always be tempered with the joy I felt after that moment.

Apr 04 2017, 09.40pm
I had a followup conversation with our director yesterday.
One significant thing he said to me was that out of all of us at work, he saw me as the most 'macho' of the bunch. When I sat back and gave him a confused look, he cited all of the activities which I'd been known to enjoy, such as shooting, hunting, camping, hiking, and general outdoors-y stuff.

At first, I chalked up some of this to a pretty typical type of overcompensation for my denial of my own self. Thinking about it further though, I realized what these activities all had in common - at least with the way in which I partook of them: Solitude.

Whether I was out hiking, camping or hunting, beyond the rare exception, I always went by myself.

Even shooting, though I almost always did it at a gun range of some sort, surrounded by other people, I was still alone. When the earmuffs are on and my sights are aligned perfectly with the target, the outside world and everything in it momentarily ceases to exist. All that exist are the target and the gun in my hands. For that brief moment, we are the center of the universe, a triumvirate joined together in an elegant display of chemistry and physics until the shot is taken and the outside world all comes flooding back.

These brief moments, stolen from the outside world, I keep close to my heart, with the understanding that they above all else are what has helped me survive this long.
  •  

SassyCassie

Apr 15 2017, 08.23am
It makes my skin crawl...
For about two weeks now, I've been experiencing this "skin crawling" sensation around the vicinity of my right shoulder blade. According to what I've researched, women experiencing menopause sometimes have this happen. It seems to be linked to fluctuations in estrogen levels which has me a bit puzzled since the transdermal patches should give a fairly consistent dosage over the course of each week I'm wearing one.

I suppose I can tolerate it until my next appointment with Dr. {HRT DOCTOR} in June. I expect she'll want to adjust my dosage levels anyway, so the problem may resolve itself at that point. Either that or maybe my body will get accustomed to the new levels.

For now though, it's not distressing in any way. It's more of a distraction and occasionally an annoyance.

•  

SassyCassie

Apr 15 2017, 09.04pm
"D"'s birthday celebration was today.
We went to Fogo De Chao (Brazilian steakhouse) for lunch and it was awesome!

The awesome-ness was actually on multiple levels. First and foremost, the food was amazing! The dessert (cheesecake) was far superior to any I've had before. I've never been one to use the term 'orgasmic' in reference to food, but this cheesecake was without a doubt, orgasmic!

On top of all that, we had an entire battalion of servers coming by the table, up to and including the manager, bringing us food, checking on us, etc. To my delight, not only did they all address us as 'ladies' but individually, they alternated between calling me 'miss' and 'ma'am'. I couldn't help but be happy as can be with the way we were treated.

I was wearing that pintucked black top I have along with my jeans and ankle boots with the 3" heels. My hair was twisted up in a clip with the end ratted out and I was wearing that A-cup bra I bought a while back. I can't quite fill that bra with what I have now but that, combined with the padded cups gave me, I suppose, a convincing enough bust to reinforce my feminine appearance.

It was only at the point when I paid for the meal that the manager saw the name on my card and gave me kind of a strange look as he brought it back to the table. I guess I should step up my timetable for the legal name change. When we left there, I changed into my new outfit with the glittery t-shirt, the new capri jeans, and my black sandals. With that shirt on, my...endowments were much more obvious. The material of the bra cups was creasing a little bit at the top but I think the print of the shirt kind of disguised that from being too obvious. I wonder how long it will take me to completely fill out that bra?

Afterward, we went and saw the new Beauty and the Beast at the theater in Citywalk. The movie was excellent but, having never seen the original, I have nothing to compare it to. Maybe I'll check out the original and see how it measures up.

We went into the Islands of Adventure side of the park when we left the theater and headed over to Hogsmeade to see a couple of the stage shows. The first act was an acapella group with singing toads who sung, among other things, the 'Double Double, Toil and Trouble' song from one of the Harry Potter films. The second act was a song and dance routine featuring the visiting students from the other schools of magic which was from Goblet of Fire.

Apr 16 2017, 07.23pm
Transgender bathroom issues.
I had almost gotten up the courage to use the ladies' room yesterday but backed out at the last minute both times out of fear of being 'read' and someone freaking out about my being in there. I used the 'not wanting to ruin "D"'s birthday' idea as my excuse. It's not an entirely invalid reason, in my opinion.

Today however, I finally went and did it. We went to the mall and while we were enjoying some drinks in the book store, I started getting the urge to pee. As I sat there, pondering whether or not I wanted to take a chance and hit the ladies' room, a couple of things occurred to me. One is that I needed to check and possibly fix my hair and two, I needed to reapply my lipstick - both of which would not be terribly welcomed in the men's room. So, I took the advice I read a while back and walked with my chin up and tits out and went straight to the ladies' room. It was completely empty - not surprising, considering it was Easter Sunday - which definitely helped me take those first steps in. I chose a stall that looked fairly clean, sat down to do my business, flushed, washed my hands, and proceeded to address the hair and lipstick issues. While I was doing that, another woman came in to heed the call of nature. She didn't cast me a second glance and by the time she was done in her stall, I was already gone.

I think I can declare this another milestone happily passed along my journey.

Of course, it will be interesting to see how it goes when I walk into a busy ladies' room. As is the hope of every trans person, I hope I'm passable enough.

I must say though, I'm REALLY looking forward to getting the name and gender marker changed on my drivers' license in preparation for the day some woman with an overinflated sense of self-importance decides to declare herself the bathroom police that day and question whether or not I belong in there. Then I can flash my license and point out that, not only does the 'F' stand for 'Female', but it also stands for '{EXPLETIVE} you!'
  •  

SassyCassie

Apr 26 2017, 07.56pm
Went to the podiatrist today.
I was completely "En femme" and in spite of what it said on my license and insurance card, all of the ladies in the office made and effort to address me as "Miss Bradley" and "she" and "her" in reference to me. They were all so sweet! In spite of the bad news, they made me feel happy.

On to the not-so-nice part. The bone spur on my heel is something I'm pretty much stuck with for the rest of my life but some physical therapy might help ease the pain after a day of walking. We shall see. I have my first PT appointment scheduled for the same day as my next laser treatment and visit to the therapist.
  •  

SassyCassie

May 01 2017, 11.11pm
"Passing privilege"
There's a term I've heard tossed around here and there in reference to trans people. That term is "Passing privilege".

It's used in the same context as "white privilege", where it suggests certain advantages that exist just because someone is the way that they are - something like a trophy awarded to someone for "just showing up".

Passing privilege refers to a trans person (man or woman, though I'm mainly speaking from my experiences as a trans woman) who is able to be seen by others as their true gender - i.e. not the one assigned at birth. I can't help but be somewhat offended by this term.

Back when I started transitioning, I expected to have a long hard road ahead of me with regard to being seen as a woman by just random strangers I encounter in my daily life. There were some not-too-pleasant moments to get where I am now, but I've come so far in such a short time. Now, when I'm out "en femme", which is nearly all of the time I'm not at work, I routinely get called "ma'am" or "miss" or addressed as "ladies" when with other women. This happens regardless of whether I'm wearing a bra with a little padding in it or one that only shows off what genetics (and hormones) have given me thus far. Makeup I use is generally very subtle, usually but with some exceptions, following the "less is more" principle.

I didn't get that way "just by showing up". I have worked very hard in the last few months to break 45 years of male habits drilled into me by a society that insisted I behave in accordance with the configuration of my genitalia.

Sure, one can dress in women's clothing, put on makeup, and wear their hair long, which are all superficial parts of the female archetype. There is so much more than that, however. Not only have I been breaking down all of those old habits commonly associated with males, but I have made an effort to integrate behaviors and mannerisms associated with women. For a while, this practically consumed the entirety of my attention. Always mindful, always evaluating, always adjusting - even when no one else was around, I made sure to keep it up.

Breaking the old male habits and adopting my new and proper female habits has come easier to me than I had expected. I've started to get to a point where walking a certain way, standing a certain way, gestures, speech patterns, posture, have all become less of a conscious effort on my part, and have just become regular habits. Whether or not that reinforces the idea that, yes I have been psychologically a woman all my life is certainly open for debate but it does certainly suggest that such is the case.

The reasons for changing these habits are many. They say that when people meet someone for the first time, an impression is made within the first 15 seconds of that meeting. During that 15 seconds, beyond the visual (attire, hair, makeup or lack thereof), there are so many other, more subtle cues that people pick up on subconsciously. The way one stands, the way one walks, one's hand gestures, posture, whether one folds one's arms beneath or on top of the breasts, the tilt of the head at certain times - all of those are little subconscious cues that stack up on top of each other to build the unquestionable idea in the mind of the observer that they are looking at and talking to a woman. Some have referred to it as the way "one carries oneself".

Confidence is also a factor, but that can't be learned from a book or taught in class. It certainly can't be conveyed by a social media posting. Confidence is the house of oneself which must be built, brick by brick. All of the little victories - for trans people, it's being addressed or referred to as our proper gender - add bricks to this house. Some things will serve to break down parts of this house, but if we are attentive and can recognize such moments, we can learn from them and experience fewer of those, going forward. Eventually, sooner for some and later for others, we can present the outward appearance of a woman, coupled with the aforementioned subtle cues, and radiating confidence like the brightest star in the heavens. We can hold our head high, walk proudly into any social setting and positively light up the room through personality alone.

In conclusion, I may be accused by some as having this "passing privilege", but damn it, I am EARNING this, I am WORKING for this, and I am going to OWN it!

•  

SassyCassie

May 06 2017, 01.16am
Something smells foul...
In the last few days, I've been noticing smells. Not really pleasant smells, mind you - rather foul smells.

Last Saturday, we were at the IHOP in Leesburg when the Bikefest was in full swing. Seated at the table next to us was a couple who intermittently stank of baby powder. During the work week, I rode the train to work a couple of days and during one period, I made the mistake of sitting across the aisle from a guy who had some very distinct, very pungent B.O. going on. Seriously, it was FUNKY. It certainly explained why there were so many available seats in that part of the train. Had he not gotten off shortly after I sat down, I probably would have had to move.

On Friday, during the trip home, I noticed a sharp stench of liquor coming from one of the nearby passengers. Again: FUNKY! In fact, on Thursday, I noticed what smelled like an alcoholic beverage smell coming from one of the managers with whom I was working at the time. He didn't seem debilitated by it, but it was noticeable.

I've had a pretty sensitive nose to begin with but lately, it seems to be working overtime. I've read that supposedly, women have a better sense of smell than men, so I can't help but wonder if this has something to do with the HRT.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but it will be interesting to see if it is just a passing thing or if it intensifies. Of course, the latter prospect is a bit unsettling.

May 28 2017, 01.45pm
Road trip!
A club up in Daytona is doing their once-a-year 701 South goth night tonight. Originally, I was interested in going but not sure about the logistics of going out on a Sunday night and then driving straight to work on Monday morning. That was until "I" reminded me that Monday is Memorial Day and I have the day off. A fact which I had forgotten on at least three separate occasions this week!

So, I decide I am going and staying at "I" & "S"'s place. I picked out the things I was going to wear the night before and packed it all into a suitcase this morning. It was only when I was almost to their house that I realized this was another one of those little milestones in my transition. That being, going on a road trip and overnight stay as Cassandra. I'm a bit proud of myself that it took me that long to realize just what I was doing. I did my normal morning routine, packed my clothes and makeup and hit the road like it was no big deal - business as usual.

I'm damned proud of myself!
  •  

Laurie

I read progress in your more recent posts. Becoming comfortable with Cassandra and enjoying your time en femme. Liking who you are. Progress all.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Jessica

Hi Cassie 🙋‍♀️ I'm Jessica!  Just discovered your thread.  I've got some catching up to do. 

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Jessica on January 31, 2018, 12:11:48 AM
Hi Cassie 🙋‍♀️ I'm Jessica!  Just discovered your thread.  I've got some catching up to do.

Hi Jessica! Welcome to my thread!

Right now, what I've posted are still events from the past, but I'm moving pretty quickly and should be arriving at real-time very soon. I can only hope to keep things as interesting, given the frequency at which I'm doing journal entries these days! :D
  •  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Laurie on January 30, 2018, 11:56:45 PM
I read progress in your more recent posts. Becoming comfortable with Cassandra and enjoying your time en femme. Liking who you are. Progress all.

I was honestly surprised at how quickly things that would have been terrifying just a short time before, became no big deal.
  •  

SassyCassie

May 28 2017, 02.02pm
The splinter in the mind.
This is the theme I've been using as a way to help people understand what it's like growing up transgender and not really understanding it.

I borrowed this theme from "The Matrix", where Morpheus describes the feeling Neo is experiencing as a "splinter in your mind".

When I'm having "the chat" with each of my friends, in which I come out to them and explain that I'm transgender and what that's like, I have been telling them this and it seems to be an effective way of describing how I've felt.

Have you ever gotten a splinter in your finger? One of those splinters that gets just below the surface of the skin and, try as you might, you just can't extract it? It hurts, but only for a while. Soon, you forget it's there and go on with your life but every now and then, you bump it or brush it against something and it starts to hurt again.

Now, imagine having this splinter in your mind and there are certain things that affect it like bumping it or brushing it against something and it hurts now and again.

Imagine having this splinter for 30 years and not really knowing what's wrong. All of these little things hurt as the years go by. The pain typically manifests itself in many different ways - sometimes anger, sometimes depression, sometimes frustration, but always there is a general underlying feeling of wrongness. Something is wrong, but you can't quite figure out what.

Well, it took a lot of years, but I finally figured out what that wrongness is and what I can do about it. It took about another 15 years of denying that to finally get to the point where I was able to both accept that fact about myself and have the courage to finally act upon it.

Since making that choice, and coming out to more and more of my friends (and getting comfortable even using the term 'coming out' in reference to myself), I've become more confident that I've made the right choice and am actually eagerly anticipating what the future holds for me on this journey. I'm finding out just how blessed I am, given how many people have expressed their willingness to stand by me during this part of my life.

Jun 03 2017, 10.31pm
Tears of joy...
I wrote this on the T-Network page and decided I need to keep a copy for myself as well:

At the most recent event, hosted at {TRANS ALLY}'s home, we had many memorable conversations.

One in particular which sticks out in my mind is a brief exchange between "A" and myself. Forgive me if I don't get the quote exact - I'm dredging this up from a memory which was lovingly sprinkled with wine that evening. ;)

"A" said, "That's the best part of being a woman."
"What is?" I replied.
"The hugs."

I smiled and nodded.

This conversation, brief as it was, gave me a bit of food for thought. The concept percolated to the surface of my consciousness every now and again over the next few days until it hit me why that notion had stuck with me. I disagreed.

Allow me to qualify that before you compose and fire off a sternly-worded hashtag in my direction. :)

The hugs may be "A"'s "best part of being a woman", but it's not mine. Sure, hugs are nice but there is something that I personally find much more moving and powerful than hugs. It is a much more introspective thing as opposed to interactive like the act of hugging and can be summed up in three words: Tears of joy.

In all of the years I have been circling the sun on this ball of mud we call the Earth, I had never ever EVER experienced tears of joy. I had tears of sadness here and there but those moments were few and far between. Since accepting who I am and deciding to finally let her out of her prison cell to walk in the sun, I have been able to experience this most powerful feeling. My friends and people I work with have said that I seem so much happier now and they are absolutely right. I can feel so happy that I break down and cry.

With what I've experienced in these few months since starting my journey toward my authentic self, I can't go any direction but forward and no one will be able to take this away from me - least of all myself.
  •  

SassyCassie

WARNING - This post features features a theme of suicidal ideation.

Jun 05 2017, 07.14am
How goth saved my life.
Having grown up feeling a sense of general wrongness most of my life which I only much later figured out was being trans, I had some rough periods in my life. One particularly rough time was in my mid-to-late twenties. It was during that time that I was dealing with a lot of stress and depression which manifested itself in, among other things, a bout of anorexia.
Also during that time, like so many other trans folks, I had contemplated suicide. I even had a .45 caliber silvertip hollowpoint bullet all picked out for the job. I chose silver because many of the old legends say that it takes silver to destroy a monster. I never actually pulled that trigger, but came pretty close on a couple of occasions. I remember vividly one such occasion where I had that round in the chamber of my 1911 with the hammer back and just sitting there staring long and hard at the exit door right there in my hands.

As a side effect of the anorexia, I was rapidly losing weight, as one would expect. Having been overweight most of my life, the weight loss served to ease some of the disgust I had felt for so long about being stuck in a body that didn't feel right. In addition to that, I started to get into the goth scene, mostly in South Florida (West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, etc.), and to a lesser extent Orlando, though I didn't live there. Where I did live at the time, there was no actual goth "scene" to speak of. I also became involved in a goth mailing list (old-school internet-style) called The Florida Coven. Through that list, I met a number of amazing and wonderful people, some of whom I still call my friends.

I quickly became comfortable with this group, going to clubs, having parties (or Sleazefests as some of them were called), but the biggest impact it all had on my life was the freedom of style. I didn't yet know I was transgender at the time, but just having the freedom to do all of these little things like grow my nails out and paint them, dress in ways that cross gender boundaries, play around with makeup, all of it helped to ease the dysphoria I had been suffering from for so many years.

It was almost therapeutic for me, being among a group with whom I felt so comfortable just being myself. After a time, I decided I didn't need that bullet and instead made it into a pendant which I wore around my neck for several years afterward. It served as a reminder that no matter how bad things get, I can work past it.

•