Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Cassandra's Tale - The Making of a Brave New Girl

Started by SassyCassie, January 08, 2018, 05:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

Cassie, you can do this.

When we started this journey it seemed impossible. We knew there may many steps, and we didn't even know where to start -- yet we started anyway. Think about all the things you have done which seemed impossible only a few years ago. We are much stronger now than we have ever been, because we know nothing is impossible. It isn't easy, but nothing worthwhile ever is. Have confidence in yourself, and lean on Steph occasionally -- I know she won't mind!

You will get through this, and become even stronger in the process.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on January 05, 2019, 07:43:54 AM
Cassie, you can do this.

When we started this journey it seemed impossible. We knew there may many steps, and we didn't even know where to start -- yet we started anyway. Think about all the things you have done which seemed impossible only a few years ago. We are much stronger now than we have ever been, because we know nothing is impossible. It isn't easy, but nothing worthwhile ever is. Have confidence in yourself, and lean on Steph occasionally -- I know she won't mind!

You will get through this, and become even stronger in the process.

Deep down inside, I know that what you're saying is absolutely right. A lot of the pre-transition fear turned out to be unfounded and the journey was much easier than expected. The most significant parallel being, of course, that this is not something I want to do but it's something I need to do as a matter of survival.

Stephanie and I refer to handling unpleasant tasks as the "eating of a toad". Starting January 2nd (after everyone sobered up and went back to work), I started my year by shoveling in big spoonfuls of toads in the hope of putting as much of this behind me as I can while I stand in line for my turn to finally be complete.
  •  

SassyCassie

Tearing down walls

Over the last 25 years or so, I've kept a stack of the various greeting cards I've received - mostly for birthdays and Christmases past though some were from Valentine's Day. Some were from friends, some from my parents but most were from my then-girlfriend, now wife. She used to write little heartfelt messages in each one, expressing her love.

A few months prior to coming out to the world, I attached a scattering of decorative binder clips to the inside of one of my closet doors, surrounding the mirror. From those, I hung a few of the cutest or most meaningful cards, held open to show what's written inside. Over time, things changed and only a single addition was made...from someone new in my life.

Tonight, I took down all of those cards, leaving the door completely bare, save for that one card. The rest were consigned to the past where they belong. Letting things go from the past is never an easy thing to do and this was no exception. The subsequent release was necessary and, if I'm being honest, quite welcome.
  •  

Michelle_P

Cassie, that is a hard step to take, but something I believe we all need to do somehow, taking down our reminders of that which is past, and restarting our life from the now, looking to the future.

We are where we are, and what is important is where we go next.  Living life looking in the rear view mirror, fretting over the what ifs and might have beens is a waste of our precious lifespan.

You done good.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

SassyCassie

Girls' Night In.

I'm at a friend's house tonight, having a...not really what one would call a "slumber party" but just something we have started calling our "Girls' Night In".

I've been invited over for more than a few of these without really realizing just what a "Squeee" moment it is. Being here, as part of a group of otherwise cis-women, just laughing and giggling, drinking wine and making dinner together, and it all feels perfectly normal.

Everyone is scattered about the place, getting their comfy clothes on right now so I thought I'd post a little update on what's been going on over the last...almost month.

My house is officially up for sale. Getting out from under that will relieve multiple layers of stress which have been slowly building up. It took a long time but I've finally accepted some facts about my situation. First and foremost, the drive to and from...nearly everything I do these days adds up to a minimum of two hours spent just on the road. Since I've more-or-less come out of my shell, there's so much more I want to do and see and experience but with having a full-time job, free time is so precious now. I want to make the best of every waking minute I have.

In the "before times", spending long periods of time in the car translated to lots of time to be spent in quiet introspection, often with music blaring to shut out other distractions (and maybe some other things as well). That's what "he" needed back then but I don't think that's what I need at this stage in my life.  I'd much rather spend that time with my friends or with my kitties. I'm finding that these days, I crave more interaction rather than introspection. I've already found my true self. The hardest part of this journey is past.

There are many down-sides to renting a place but I'm willing to accept those for the sake of proximity and mobility. Being close to the things that are necessities in my life yet having the ability to pick up and move relatively quickly are both very important right now.

The mere act of setting things in motion for this has done wonders for my stress levels. The events that lay ahead in 2019 were initially something to be feared but not anymore. The predominant feeling now is optimism. It's something that I can't wait to put behind me. Strangely enough, the excitement over that seems to have overshadowed that of GCS and FFS, one or both of which may be happening this year. Just the prospect of a fresh start in a new home for a new me is an exciting one. The path to get there may be long and winding but there is a goal. It is in sight and it is reachable. Unlike the other goals for this year, it's not dependent upon the whims of the gatekeepers of some shadowy bureaucracy or having to stand in a line that stretches on and on into the distance. It's something I can make happen this year and... well, at least it's something I can feel like I have control over, unlike the others.

I dreamt the impossible dream once and it came true two years ago. Why not dream a possible dream this time round?
  •  

SassyCassie

It's Mrs. Gendered, if you please. Not miss.

Being misgendered used to be a hurtful thing. Over time, the incidents became fewer and further between until they became almost nonexistent.

Note that I said, "almost".

I've heard of a phenomenon called "male fail" though I haven't gone out and deliberately tested it myself. Unlike @Steph2.0 who hasn't had a misgendering incident (by strangers) in quite some time, It's happened to me twice and relatively recently.

The delicious twist on these instances is the sheepish, guilty look on the faces of the people who misgendered me and seeing their thought process quickly go to "Oops...I hope she didn't hear that." I'm not sure if this counts as yet another level of womanhood but it should. Plus the fact that I've noticed these things but they didn't really matter to me.

I know who I am and what some total stranger has to say about has absolutely no bearing on how I feel.
  •  

Anne Blake

Cassandra, both of your posts are good news and good reads. We are glad to hear of these significant milestones being achieved. I can also relate to the occasional miss gendering, my favorite and loving niece has done this to me (quite innocently and without ill will) several times yesterday. It doesn't really hurt but then.....

Love you girl,
Tia Anne
  •  

Donica

This is all so wonderful to hear Cassie! Change is always just around the corner. Most of us start out renting when we first leave the nest and then as lifes many changes happen, we strap ourselves with mortgages and other big ticket items.

It has been a plus for me to return back to my original roots of rentals as it (as you have mentioned) helps make our life changing transitions easier and alows us to be more mobile. I must saay I don't miss mowing the lawn anymore.

As I follow Susan's forums, it seems that we all eventually experience less misgendering as we continue our transitional journey. It is a most affirming happy feeling.

Wishing you all the best girl. Keep rockin it.

Big hugs,
Donica.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Anne Blake on February 15, 2019, 06:53:04 AM
Cassandra, both of your posts are good news and good reads. We are glad to hear of these significant milestones being achieved. I can also relate to the occasional miss gendering, my favorite and loving niece has done this to me (quite innocently and without ill will) several times yesterday. It doesn't really hurt but then.....

It's always the ones closest to us who have the hardest time remembering, having to un-learn years of gender-habits that have accumulated. So far, it's only been co-workers who've been misgendering me out of habit. Maybe one day, that will stop but I honestly doubt it. As more and more of the people I work with either retire or move on to other jobs, I'm sure it will slow down but the only way to put it to a stop is for me to move on. Family is different of course and the only solution is to spend more time around them.
  •  

SassyCassie

Beauty is only bone-deep

One of the things I forgot to mention in my most recent posts was my consultation with Dr. Belinga at Facial Team late last month. Like many people had told me over and over, he also said that I don't need any work done. Being unsure as to what to expect and by what standards the pictures I had sent would be judged, I'd no idea just how this would go.

He had some very complimentary things to say about my bone structure as it is right now which, coming from a medical professional like him, I suppose I really need to start believing. The days, many years ago, when I had contemplated going through this transition, part of my fear was about my face. Of course, back then I didn't know that was the root of so many of my problems over the years - this discomfort about just who I was.

It turns out that all of that fear from back then was mostly unfounded but that's all water under the bridge. I'm happy with who I am here and now, so I've no regrets...well, not too many, that is.

I told him that there were two "pain points" for me, regarding facial structure. One is, out of all the masculine features I didn't get, I did end up with a bit of a brow ridge. He agreed that, yes it is there but not as pronounced as some. We discussed some of the details about the procedure. I asked him how that would affect my frontal sinus and whether or not it would affect the near-constant runny nose I seem to have these days. Sadly, he said it wouldn't. Oh well.

The other issue is that I'd like to get a neck lift done. That is more the type of cosmetic procedure that is not done by Facial Team, but they work closely with nearby Ocean Clinic, where they do more of the soft tissue work.

I've got my quotes from both clinics for their respective procedures and now I have to figure out how I'm going to finance this trip to Spain...and VFS in Korea...and whatever GCS is going to end up costing me out-of-pocket.

All of that, plus a divorce to plan. What a year this is going to be! When it's all over, I'd sure like to have a party of epic proportions (from my perspective, that is. Nothing on the scale of Saudi royalty or anything). Spending a few hours with my dearest friends, casting into the fire the last remnants of that former life would make me just as happy though.
  •  

Anne Blake

Cassandra, that is a party that I would love to attend!

Tia Anne
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Susan and I would do our best to attend as well!
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
  •  

SassyCassie

Quote from: Anne Blake on February 18, 2019, 03:16:32 AM
Cassandra, that is a party that I would love to attend!

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on February 18, 2019, 02:02:06 PM
Susan and I would do our best to attend as well!

I would be honored and absolutely filled with joy to have you all with me for that night!

Some time ago, I'd envisioned such a party as a sort of "grand coming-out party", on the scale of some of the Halloween parties we hosted at my place. Friends from the present and the past would all be invited to share in one of the most joyful times in my life.

My outlook on that has changed somewhat, as time passed by. Many of the friends I described above could be considered little more than casual acquaintances in comparison to the deep emotional connections I've been making with people more recently. The guest list has changed a bit but the desire to have such a gathering still remains. It will probably be close to New Year's unless of course something changes.

I can't wait to find out where it's actually going to be though!
  •  

SassyCassie

Black Bag Operation

She is sitting on her sofa, comfortable in a t-shirt and undies, savoring chocolate ice cream one delicate spoonful at a time. The raised ivy pattern feels damp to the touch with the moisture that has condensed on the white ceramic bowl. A brown and white marbled tabby looks on in keen interest at the spectacle, hope glinting in his green eyes. Easily distracted, the cat turns his back on her and dashes out of the room, clearly late for some appointment in another part of the house.

As the cat bounds away, she smiles in contemplation of the events of the past few days. Friday night, her girlfriend came over to spend the weekend. Together, they had had wings and beer for dinner and afterward, looking just too cute to simply go home, they sought out other things to do. After a "Hello ladies" at one bar, they wound up at another, eating dessert-y waffles and drinking glasses of stout while playing with a can of tinkertoys and giggling like schoolgirls.

During the course of the weekend, they volunteered at a fly-in, serving lunch to visitors who came to the airport, met some new people, and helped push back a bit on the social anxiety which had plagued both of them for much of their lives. After they had done a little shopping and gotten back home, she cooked a nice German-style recipe she had never tried before. As usual, she made way too much food but there was still some room in the refrigerator for the leftovers.

After a time, a bit of guilt threw its dark cloak over her spirits when she got to thinking about the monumental tasks which lay ahead of her in the preparations to move out of and sell her house. She expressed that guilty feeling to her girlfriend in the context of what she wanted to do and what she needed to do. The needs won out and, with her girlfriend in tow, headed to the unoccupied upstairs of the house to begin the necessary work.

Her primary focus was one room which had been used as "his" office. So much of him remained up there in fact, that it caused in her feelings of sadness at the memories it brought up. With a sigh, she began going through drawers and boxes, filling one garbage bag after another. Filling them with the acquisitions of a pack rat over many years, she could almost see no end in sight until finally tiring of the whole affair and calling it quits for the day. That evening and another evening a few nights later are the focus of her thoughts now.

There is still much to do but she's made tangible progress. The black trash bags lined up on the back porch are a testament to that and to her resolve to see this process through to its end.
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Cassie, I have always enjoyed your writing style. You have quite a way with words.

The time to start throwing out your past to make room for your future is both poignant and liberating. Things that at one time seemed so important can turn into painful reminders of who we used to be. Cleaning out closets full of our history can be like 'eating toad' (as you so eloquently state), but it makes room for the banquet of life to come. Stay strong Cassie, you got this.

Love always -- Jessica Rose and Susan
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Donica

Big hugs Cassandra! Perhaps you could save one of two of those old "him" items and have that big party in September on the West Coast road trip. I would love to attend your party and help celebrate the end of the old and the beginning of your new life. I still have one or two "him" items in my closet that I could add to that fire.

Big hugs girl!!!
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Stevi

Cassie,

Jessica is right.  Your words expressing thoughts were poetic.

The road is traveled one step at a time.  Keep your eye on the prize.  Maybe, I hope, that puts a just a little spring into each step.

If a party gets planned, I'll be looking for an invitation for two.

Love to you from us,
Stevi and Penny
  •  

steph2.0

Her girlfriend thinks back on that weekend with both happy and sad thoughts. Wonderful times meeting new people who acknowledge them as they have always known themselves to be, or showing off their cuteness and being silly, or even just mundane times grocery shopping together, are the kinds of experiences that  take on an entirely new dimension when shared with your best friend.

Such times are often balanced by the toads we all have to eat; cleaning an old house and purging reminders of old not-so-happy lives is among the toadiest. Her girlfriend was there to lend a willing hand, and sympathetically listen to the stories so many of the purged items unearthed. There were often downcast eyes and ragged sighs, but thankfully no tears. Though much remained to be done, progress was definitely made. One bite at a time.

With a desire to be out of the house, but the realization that, being a Sunday night, there wasn't much to do in the sleepy suburbs of Orlando, they ended up at a coffee shop with their electronic devices, sharing a couch and pouring their thoughts into the ether while enjoying the warmth of one another's companionship. With the poor baristas giving them longing looks as they hoped to go home, the girlfriends retired to their own home to share tasty snacks and a few silly emanations from the magic story-teller on the wall, before retiring for the night.

After another culinary curiosity the next morning, and more shared closeness on the couch while one worked remotely and the other practiced her guitar, they said their sad goodbyes as they parted for a few days, with plans made for their next time together, and the knowledge they were only as far away as their portable glowing monoliths.

Thinking back on the experience now, the most emotional realization that her girlfriend comes to, is that the chocolate ice cream was supposed to be shared.

Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Donica

I'm sorry Stephanie but if it was Haagen-Dazs chocolate chocolate chip ice cream, I would not have shared either. No intention of being unfriendly at all girl. It's just that good ;D
  •  

Michelle_P

Cassie, there are definitely points in our lives worth celebrating, and with all you have this year, well, completing all this work and getting on with life is certainly such a point.

When I went full-time I relocated, taking very little with me from my old life, about three Prius-loads of stuff.  That first afternoon here, I changed, packed the last of his stuff in a box, and dropped it off at Goodwill.  All that is left are old digital photos, and a small bag of souvenirs, submarine dolphins, a name tag from NeXT Computer, a watch my daughter gave me, a handful of things I associate with major events in my life.

I did a ritual about a month after going fulltime.  I wrote out on slips of paper things I wanted to be free of, bits of the life I once had, the bad  assumptions I had made, the elements of my life I wished to be free of, the anxieties and worries that chewed at me.  I placed all the papers into a large bowl.

On my condo balcony, I sat half-Lotus, meditating on the place I was at in my life, trying to envision what I would become.  I sang my Metta, and struck a match, dropping it into the bowl.  My anxieties, my worries, all the bad assumptions of my past, were released into faint gray smoke vanishing into the sky.

Celebrating the end of becoming, the start of being ourselves, feels right to me. 

At the end of your labors this year, I hope you do find the opportunity to celebrate, honor yourself, and rejoice in finding your true self and living your life fully.   You have earned this.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •