Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Old things youngins might like to know

Started by Laurie, January 11, 2018, 03:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julia1996

Quote from: Cali on January 11, 2018, 04:19:03 PM
Or taking an old pair of roller skates, hammering them down and attaching them to a board to make a skate board. Or Swanson tv dinners in metal trays.

Frozen dinners with metal trays........ok, how could they have metal trays? That would wreck the microwave.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Deborah

Computers were something mysterious that took up entire rooms.  The only time you saw one was on science fiction TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Deborah

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 11, 2018, 04:47:56 PM
Frozen dinners with metal trays........ok, how could they have metal trays? That would wreck the microwave.
Microwaves were unknown.  Everything went in the oven or on the stove and took a long time.

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Cali on January 11, 2018, 04:25:22 PM
And a shooting star was a meteor or meteorite, not a part of skylab coming down :)

Skylab?  Do you mean the international space station? Why would it ever crash down?
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Deborah on January 11, 2018, 04:48:41 PM
Computers were something mysterious that took up entire rooms.  The only time you saw one was on science fiction TV.

Very true.  I was working on a computer merit badge and visited the local IBM company.  Not only did they take up an entire room, they were heat sensitive.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Deborah on January 11, 2018, 04:49:44 PM
Microwaves were unknown.  Everything went in the oven or on the stove and took a long time.

Oh. Well that sucks.  The main reason to make a frozen dinner is because it's fast.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 11, 2018, 04:50:09 PM
Skylab?  Do you mean the international space station? Why would it ever crash down?

Skylab was the United States' first and only space station, orbiting Earth from 1973 to 1979, when it fell back to Earth amid huge worldwide media attention.

Also, as I recall, it crashed in Australia.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Deborah

We used slide rules to calculate the math in physics class.

They are actually pretty fast once you learn to use it.

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Deborah on January 11, 2018, 04:55:55 PM

Slide rules??
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 11, 2018, 04:51:28 PM
Oh. Well that sucks.  The main reason to make a frozen dinner is because it's fast.

Didn't have microwave popcorn back then.  Two ways to have popcorn; grease in a pot and kernals in and you stood there shaking the pot, or Jiffy Pop which is still around.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Cali on January 11, 2018, 04:52:25 PM
Skylab was the United States' first and only space station, orbiting Earth from 1973 to 1979, when it fell back to Earth amid huge worldwide media attention.

Also, as I recall, it crashed in Australia.

Oh wow. I didn't know they had space stations back then. How cool! Well except for it crashing into earth. Did it kill a lot of people?
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

S&H Green Stamps or Blue Chip Stamps - When you purchase stuff at a store or bought gas you could or would get these stamps which were placed in a booklet.  Once the booklet was filled you could exchange them for merchandise at either the S&H or Blue Chip Stamp Stores.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Cali on January 11, 2018, 05:00:06 PM
Didn't have microwave popcorn back then.  Two ways to have popcorn; grease in a pot and kernals in and you stood there shaking the pot, or Jiffy Pop which is still around.

I've seen that popcorn you set on the stove and the wrapping blows up full of pop corn. I always thought that looked cool. I didn't know they still made it though.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 11, 2018, 05:00:43 PM
Oh wow. I didn't know they had space stations back then. How cool! Well except for it crashing into earth. Did it kill a lot of people?

Skylab's atmospheric reentry began on July 11, 1979,[4] and people on earth and an airline pilot saw dozens of colorful firework-like flares as large pieces of the space station broke up in the atmosphere.[5] Skylab did not burn up as fast as NASA expected, and Skylab debris landed southeast of Perth in Western Australia, resulting in a debris path between Esperance and Rawlinna.[4] Over a single property in Esperance, 24 pieces of Skylab were found.[4][5] Analysis of some debris indicated that the Skylab station had disintegrated 10 mi (16 km) above the Earth, much lower than expected.[5]

Snatched this from Wikipedia.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Cali on January 11, 2018, 05:02:21 PM
S&H Green Stamps or Blue Chip Stamps - When you purchase stuff at a store or bought gas you could or would get these stamps which were placed in a booklet.  Once the booklet was filled you could exchange them for merchandise at either the S&H or Blue Chip Stamp Stores.

That sounds like reward point cards. Except for the putting them in books part.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Julia1996 on January 11, 2018, 05:03:47 PM
I've seen that popcorn you set on the stove and the wrapping blows up full of pop corn. I always thought that looked cool. I didn't know they still made it though.

I've seen it for sale in a few stores and you can buy it on-line at Amazon too.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Devlyn

Black & white TVs, and rotary dial telephones.
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Deborah on January 11, 2018, 04:55:55 PM

Please enlighten Julia as to what a sliderule is.  My experience was limited to hitting people with them :)_
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Devlyn

•