Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Baltimore Anarchists Rescue Church of Transsexual United Methodist Minster

Started by LostInTime, December 14, 2007, 05:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

Baltimore Anarchists Rescue Church of Transsexual United Methodist Minster
http://christiannewswire.com/news/79365090.html
Contact: Loralei Coyle 202-682-4131, 202-905-6852 cell, lcoyle@ird-renew.org; Radio Interviews: Jeff Walton, jwalton@ird-renew.org; both with the Institute on Religion and Democracy

St. John's garnered attention earlier this year when its pastor, Ann Gordon, announced her change of gender identity from female to the male Drew Phoenix, sparking an ongoing controversy over transsexual pastors in the 7.9 million-member United Methodist Church.

--------------
" Your future dream is a shopping scheme
Cause I
I wanna be
Anarchy
In the city
How many ways to get what you want
I use the best
I use the rest
I use the enemy
I use anarchy
Cause I
Wanna be
Anarchy"
  •  

Kate Thomas

"But who is that on the other side of you?"
T.S. Eliot
  •  

Hypatia

That's interesting. I went to Baltimore with my Pagan group to hold Samhain celebrations in that church. I spent a couple days at the church but never heard about the transsexual pastor. I did notice some trans people showing up for the Samhain ritual.

The inside of the church is heavily decaying. Some of us appreciated the punk Goth aesthetics of this. They don't actually hold church services in this main hall any more, but in a meeting room in back.
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

NicholeW.

What a wonderful outreach they have. Thanks for both of the links LIT and Kate Alice. I have shipped them to my partner who has been working on a project that involves counseling and being able to refer LBGT to appropriate congregations that are inclusive of all varieties of people.

This one is a bit far from our regular area of operations, but hopefully we will visit sometime soon. We like road-trips and Baltimore is not that far away for a Sat evening/Sunday road- trip down Interstate 95.
  •