Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Comment: Renee Richards is a trans hero

Started by LostInTime, December 18, 2007, 10:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

Comment: Renee Richards is a trans hero
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-6367.html
18th December 2007 14:20

As one of the first recognised professional transgendered athletes, Richards made waves and broke down barriers, creating a legacy that would change the face of sports forever.

---------------
Not to me she is not.
  •  

Sandy

Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Hypatia

I will never forgive her for the vile crap she spewed against us until she recants and apologizes for it.
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

Dennis

Not familiar with that, Hypatia. What did she say?

Dennis

edit, oh, never mind, I did find some stuff about her regrets:

http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/Warning.html#Renee

It's kind of sad, rather than malicious. Sad and uninformed. Her reality didn't meet her expectations, so she generalizes to everyone. I think people should take a close look at whether they transition and be aware of cases of regret. But I also think that Renee Richards has no idea what her life would have been like if she hadn't transitioned. She's comparing herself to someone born male who is happy remaining male. I'm not sure that that is possible.

Dennis
  •  

SusanK

The first thing we forget when we make people heroes is that they're first a human being with all their flaws with their personality, temperament and experience. Making someone a hero only leads to disappointment when you discover they're human. At best they're an outstanding human being, but only by your standards, and not those of others.

Meaning? If she changed sports forever, why is it only in recent years transatheletes are now accepted in the Olympics and others sports. Sorry, I'll give more credit to Michelle Dumeresq, Mianne Bagger, and others who are getting father and doing more to change minds which changes policies. I won't discount Renee's contribution, most pioneers rarely accomplish more than those who follow because they're role is to wake people up to the possibility than actually doing anything. That she did, offer a new face in sports. Outside of that, she had a life, her life. Something she chose, and personal anger and regret doesn't sell well.

--Susan--
  •  

Sandy

I somehow have the feeling that if Dr. Richards would come out today, her therapy and compliance with WPATH would be extensive.

Perhaps she came out a little early and since there were no real therapy paths during that time, perhaps  she proceeded before she had a chance to truly examine her life and understand the consequences of her actions.

That is about as charitable as I can feel.  Her denigration of the entire community because of her regrets really doesn't sit well with me.

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Keira

This is also a case where FFS, if it was possible would have helped immensily,
she has very male traits and always had them, which certainly
didn't helped integration and relief of GID.
  •  

Sheila

I wouldn't call any of us heroes as we are doing what is necessary. I feel that if Renee would have had better counseling, I believe she would have waited until she felt right. She was a person who has a big ego and the money behind her to do what she wanted. She made the paths for a lot of us. Just like a lot of us, she has lost a lot. She not only lost her profession ( I don't know if she is still working as a dentist), lost her family and lost a lot more. She has been out in the media, like some are even afraid to be known. She has done a lot, and I don't condone her remarks.
Sheila
  •