News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Jessica's Rose Garden

Started by Jessica_Rose, January 17, 2018, 08:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

« on: April 9, 2023, 08:09:03 pm »
Susan and I visited the Garvan Woodland Gardens on Saturday. It was a beautiful day -- no clouds, light breeze, and a temperature in the low 70's. With all the ugly going on around us, sometimes we just need a beauty break...

Love always -- Jessica Rose

Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: May 8, 2023, 02:32:10 pm »
I'm done, almost. I had to take out two 401k loans to pay for my facial surgeries. Last year I reached the age where I could make a 401k withdrawal without a tax penalty, so I 'repaid' the first loan early last year by making a 401k withdrawal.  Over the last several months I've been making extra payments on the remaining loan. My final payment is set for 13 May. It's been a long, painful, expensive road, but it was the only option I had which would not lead to my sudden departure from life.

I realize most cis people can't understand why someone would transition. I was suffering from a condition which caused a lifetime of intense pain. There were no physical symptoms, no medical tests which could find the cause. Every night I went to bed hoping that a miracle would occur as I slept, and in the morning I would awake to a new life. The resentment at feeling trapped caused a steadily growing anger. As time passed, the anger became a sometimes uncontrollable rage. There were countless times I considered taking my own life, but I couldn't bear the thought of what would happen to my wife and daughters if I were no longer around to support them. My pain wasn't their fault, but they suffered from it nearly as much as I did.

One day my pain became so great, so terrifying, that I considered ending all of our lives. I was thinking 'who goes first?' My family and I only exist because for a brief moment, logic overruled my rage. That moment, that heartbeat of time, is what led me to where I am now. Whenever I wonder if it was worth it, I just think of that moment and instantly know I made the right decision.

I have been posting a lot of news articles over the last few months. All of the negative articles finally got to me last week, so I took a break. We shouldn't have to fight so hard for the simple right to exist. We don't tell others how to dress. We don't tell them which books to read. We don't restrict their medical care based on our personal or religious principles. We don't ask about the configuration of their genitals. All we ask for is the same respect we are expected to give, the same rights everyone else enjoys. We are rare and beautiful people, getting trampled by those who are being incited by misleading information presented by media, politicians, and extremists.

Every day we get knocked down, every morning we rise once again and dust ourselves off. We are being relentlessly attacked, yet we refuse to yield. Maybe that's why we are hated and despised -- because we are more resilient, because we are stronger, because we have discovered the internal strength which only comes through living an authentic life. That's really all we want, a chance to be ourselves.

Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: May 15, 2023, 08:29:31 pm »
We finally finished replacing the plants that didn't survive winter, and planted a few new ones to fill in other spots in our flower bed. I replaced the dead plants with either hydrangea or daylilies. I think daylilies are some of the hardiest plants around, as long as they have adequate drainage. I also added a dark red rose that Susan picked out. It's right outside our bedroom window. I even made a spot for some vegetables, Susan planted some squash and zucchini. I think our hydrangeas are still a bit waterlogged from all of our recent rain, but hopefully they will recover.

I have enjoyed photography for decades, and began working with digital cameras back in the mid-1990's. When I was in the USAF, I requisitioned an Apple Quick Take 150 so we could print our own photos for security access cards. That same year I ordered some Kodak DCS420 cameras and 170MB PCMCIA hard drives to support F-117 maintenance. The planes were at Holloman AFB, and the logistics center was at McClellan AFB. Maintenance folks used the cameras to take photos of damage and send them via encrypted communication back to the engineers at McClellan for review. I switched to all digital in the late 1990's. Every photo I took of our youngest daughter is digital, and she was born in 1998.

The point of the stories is that I have been working with digital cameras for a long time. Anyway, I finally decided to switch from digital SLR cameras to mirrorless cameras. I had been using a Canon 5D Mark IV for years, and bought a Canon 90D about 18 months ago for wildlife photography. The features in the Canon R7 are like magic (I'm sure Nikon and Sony are also magical), just looking through the viewfinder made me smile and giggle! The new Canon RF lens mount also adds some useful capabilities. Canon offers a lens mount converter so I can use my old EF and EF-S mount lenses on the new bodies, but many of the new RF lenses are optically superior to the older ones. I have already sold my Canon 90D and a few lenses, and the Canon 5D will be listed for sale soon. It's an expensive hobby, but it often brings joy to my life and allows me to easily share parts of my life with others.

Susan and I visited Garvan Gardens today. I wanted to test my new photo gear by getting some photos in and around the Anthony Chapel. It's usually quite crowded, but today it was deserted. It was warming up fast, so we only stayed an hour or so. I took Susan out to lunch at Red Lobster, then we headed home.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: May 28, 2023, 08:22:53 am »
The weekend had been going well until last night. For some reason, Susan deadnamed me. I haven't spoken to her since. I planned to sleep in a different bedroom, but she had the same idea. I'm not sure where she slept last night. I did see her for a few minutes this morning. I refused to speak. She went for a walk about an hour ago, returned, then left again. We have still not spoken, but she knows what she did. I am at a loss for words. There is nothing in this world that hurts so much as someone calling me by my deadname. The one person I thought I could always count on has shattered my world. I'm lost, and alone...
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: June 11, 2023, 07:35:16 pm »
Friday afternoon, I registered both of our cars at the Department of Revenue. The fees in Arkansas are very reasonable (much lower than Colorado), except for the extra $100 fee they tack on for hybrid vehicles!

Susan and I visited my dad over the weekend. My older brother and his wife live near my dad, but they are out of town for a few weeks. My dad lives in a rural area, and sometimes he goes for days without seeing anyone. We gave him some fresh muscadine jelly, some homemade pecan brittle, and a cordless angle grinder (he uses them to sharpen the blades on his mower).

It rained most of Saturday afternoon, but that didn't keep Susan and I from doing a little shopping. Susan usually heads towards housewares, while I look at clothing. We both found a few things to bring home. We also picked up a bag of dog food for my dad. He has some 'regulars' which come by every night looking for an easy meal -- raccoons, an opossum, some feral cats, and an occasional fox. He leave table scraps and occasionally a handful of dog food for them. We have a game cam set up to monitor the visitors. This time it caught a few photos of a kit (baby fox)!

My dad had been having trouble with his garage door opener for several months. It would only work occasionally. While I was checking out the wiring, one of the wire nuts fell off. I put it back on properly, and the opener seems to work every time now.

Sunday morning I took photos of the flowers around my dad's house, while fighting off squadrons of mosquitoes. Later in the morning we visited the cemetery where my mom and brother rest. My dad visits them every weekend and leaves a fresh flower from one the the plants around his house. A few hours after lunch, Susan and I headed home.

I've finished swapping out my camera equipment, finally selling the last 'old' lens on an online auction site. I had to get the lens serviced before selling it. I used it at softball games for years and there was quite a bit of dust inside. The cleaning was expensive, but I would have had a very unhappy customer if I had sold a dirty lens.

I had planned on going to Colorado Spring this weekend, but my electrologist canceled all of her appoints due to an unexpected death. I told her to take all the time she needs. Hopefully I'll be able to visit this next weekend.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: June 20, 2023, 08:37:57 pm »
During our last visit, my dad made a comment about all of the things I have given him lately. He thinks we're spending too much money on him. I told him not to worry, because eventually I'll get everything back! That made him laugh.

I was supposed to see Kris in Colorado on the 9th, but that fell through. I saw my local electrologist yesterday and he did a good clean up. I'm hoping to visit Kris near the end of July.

Susan and I visited Garvan Gardens last Saturday. We only stayed an hour or so because it warmed up quickly. We had lunch at Red Lobster, then headed home. I spent the rest of the weekend going though a few more boxes of junk from our move (nearly two years ago), it seems to be a never-ending task.

I'm going to visit my doctor this afternoon for a hormone level check. It's been about four months since I switched to injections, and she wants to make sure the dosage is correct. I still don't like jabbing myself with a long needle every week, but for me it's preferable to seeing those patches all the time.

Our daylilies are still blooming, and the hostas are also now in bloom. Susan's tomatoes are doing well, better now that we caught the rat which was snacking on them! We didn't hurt it, just took it back to the field behind our house and released it. We cleared out the area where it had taken up residence, so hopefully it will not return.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: June 22, 2023, 07:43:24 pm »
I've been thinking a lot about the Harry Chapin song 'Cat's In The Cradle'. My dad and I actually had a lot in common, which is probably why we didn't get along very well for many years. I was also afraid of him, a byproduct of the whippings I received as a child. The phrases 'I'll spank you so hard you won't be able to sit down for a week' and 'I'll whip your rear until your nose bleeds' still ring in my ears. I have forgiven him, but I can never forget what he did.

Memories of him controlled my life for many years. The thought of his potential response kept me from beginning my transition in 2002. I finally grew strong enough to break out of his grip and begin my transition in 2017. I nearly turned into the same kind of person my dad was, but transitioning allowed me to find the freedom I never tasted as a child.

I had to make a grocery run this evening. While I was in the store I heard 'Just The Way You Are' by Bruno Mars playing, and I began to sing along softly... something my dad would never do in public. I did not grow up to be just like my father. In my mind, that's the best compliment I could ever receive.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: June 27, 2023, 11:06:53 am »
It has been warmer than usual here. Wednesday through Saturday our low's will range between 74 - 78 with high's between 99 - 103. Humidity will be around 60%. We bought a dehumidifier a few weeks ago, and it usually collects about 2 gallons of water every day. We have it set to keep the indoor humidity around 45%. Our thermostat is set on 76, which is very comfortable for me, but I think Susan would prefer it to be a few degrees cooler. We also have ceiling fans in every room.

Sunrise: 6:00am
Sunset:  8:28pm

Susan and I visited my dad over the weekend. Saturday afternoon the thermometer in the car read 105 degrees! We did the usual:

- Picked up sandwiches at McAllister's Deli for lunch with my dad.
- Reviewed game camera photos from his patio (raccoons, opossum, fox).
- Susan and I went shopping and picked up things my dad requested.
- Picked up supper at McDonald's (per my dad's request).
- My dad picked up Saturday morning breakfast at McDonald's.
- Took some photos of the flora and fauna around his house.
- We went to the local cemetery to visit my mom and brother.
- We met my survuving brother and his wife for lunch at Red Lobster.
- Back to my dad's house to load up the car.
- Drove home (a little under 3 hours).

While at my dad's house:

I fixed a clock -- the battery was dead.
I fixed his stereo -- the batteries in the remote control were dead.
I fixed his TV -- someone changed the selected input to 'USB' instead of 'antenna'.

The garage door was still working well.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: July 25, 2023, 04:38:00 pm »
Susan and I had a nice visit with my dad last weekend. The mosquitoes were voracious, but I still got a few good photos around my dad's house. In addition to putting a light fixture back together and fighting with the stubborn garage door opener again, we helped celebrate my brother's wedding anniversary. I think it was number 45. My brother and his wife recently visited Ireland, and I had let them borrow a compact camera. They liked it so much that they had offered to buy it from me. Since we knew they wanted it, we gave them the camera for their anniversary.

Tomorrow (Wednesday), I will be heading back to Colorado Springs. Thursday afternoon I'm scheduled to meet with someone in Castle Rock to pick up a gift related to a fundraiser I participated in. If all goes well, I'll provide more details when I get home. The meeting is in the middle of the afternoon in a public place that I'm familiar with, so it's safe.

I plan to meet some friends for dinner at least once while I'm in town, but my primary goal is to see Kris again. She lost someone very close to her a few months ago, and it put her into a deep depression. She canceled all of her electrolysis sessions for weeks. I'll be taking her a giant load of hugs, and I hope I will be able to cheer her up a little. If @Rayna is available, we'll probably get together for lunch at least once while I'm there.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: July 30, 2023, 06:47:33 pm »
My first stop in Denver was to pick up something very special. A few months after COVID became a nuisance, I discovered the Denver-based electric string quartet 'Spinphony'. They mix pop and rock tunes with classical pieces to come up with great music. For example, their version of 'Thunderstruck' by AC/DC is called 'Toccatastruck'. A few months ago they asked for donations to cover the recording studio fee for a new album. I love their music, so I made a generous donation. As a 'thank you' they gave me a violin which had been painted and used as a prop for some promotional photos. It is gorgeous!

My second stop in Denver was to close out an old bank account. We were still having issues with one of the credit reporting agencies when we bought our 2019 Honda CR-V. The dealer found a credit union who would provide a loan, but we had to become a member. We traded the Honda last year, and discovered there was more money in the account than we expected. It wasn't enough to cover my trip, but it helped quite a bit.

I had to deal with some awful traffic in Denver, but once I got into Castle Rock it cleared up nicely. After I checked into my hotel, I met some friends for dinner. Carl and Gina meet with me nearly every time I visit. It was really nice they could join me for dinner on my birthday, and they even brought me a big vase full of flowers! We talked for nearly two hours. I was really tired by the time I got back to my hotel.

I didn't have anything planned on Friday until my 1:00pm visit with my hair stylist, so I decided to take a short hike along the Siamese Twin trail in the Garden of the Gods. By the time I was done, it was starting to get hot. I picked up a few things at the gift shop, then went back to the hotel for a shower.

I met my hair stylist at 1:00pm for a trim and a 'Brazilian Blowout', which really helps to smooth my hair (at least for a few weeks). I met Kris around 3:00pm for about 3.5 hours of electrolysis, then picked up a quick meal which I ate in the hotel.

On Saturday morning I did a little shopping, then met Kris at 11:00am for more electrolysis. We took a break at 1:00pm to meet Brenda and @Rayna for lunch at the Garden of the Gods Market. After lunch, Rayna went home and the rest of us went back to Kris's office for more electrolysis. I had planned to leave around 3:00pm, but since I had not seen Kris for three months she had some extra work to do. I finally left town around 5:30pm, and arrived in Amarillo near midnight. I hit the road around 7:30am Sunday morning and made it home at 4:30pm. I'm really tired, but I got everything done that I had planned, so it was a very successful trip.

Spinphony violin

Garden of the Gods

Siamese Twins
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: August 11, 2023, 07:13:23 pm »
It's been quiet around our house, other than a few hummingbirds taking selfies on our backyard security camera!

I've finished updating all of my camera equipment, at least for now (famous last words). I started posting one of my photos every morning on my team's group chat at work, and my manager really liked the idea. Somedays they will get a photo of the moon, the sunrise, maybe an insect, or the previous days' sunset. I think it's a nice way to start the day.

I have been selling off some of the things I accumulated before my transition. I used to be a bit of a hoarder, and it's something I still struggle with at times. If one is good, two is better! You wouldn't believe the pile of flashlights and knives I have uncovered, along with quite a few rifle scopes -- all still new and unused. I have at least discovered the root cause of this behavior...

When I was growing up, like most kids I had a habit of leaving my toys out after playing with them. Of course, my parents always told me to pick them up. Apparently if I left them out too often, my parents would pick them up and either throw them out or donate them without telling me. My favorite toys would simply vanish without explanation. I'm sure they thought it would teach me a lesson, but they probably had no idea how that would affect me later in life. The lesson apparently was: if you find something you really like, get two... because one of them may vanish.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: August 19, 2023, 07:42:34 pm »
Susan and I plan to do some decorating this weekend. Many of our walls are still bare, and it just doesn't feel like 'home' without photos and decorations on the walls. I know we won't finish this weekend, but in reality that job will never be finished. I ordered a few odd-sized frames we will need, but they won't arrive until later in the week. We still have plenty of empty frames though, we just need to find photos we love and figure out where to put them.

I've started going through my softball photos. I assumed the role of 'team photographer' for a club softball team one of my daughters played on years ago. She was only on the team one year, but I loved it so much that I covered seven seasons! I took over 360,000 photos at their games. I'm deleting the 'bad' ones (out of focus, exceptionally poor lighting, etc). I plan to give a complete set of them to their coach once I'm done with cleanup.

A few days ago, I saw someone in the meadow behind our house with survery equipment. I hope I'm wrong, but that may be a prelude to more home construction and loss of the meadow. The only thing I don't like about living in a subdivision is not having a 'view'. When you look outside and all you can see are other houses, it just seems a bit depressing. If we do lose our meadow, we will probably put up a privacy fence and go nuts with plants. We need to have something pretty out there.

A friend of mine had one of her social media accounts hacked yesterday, and the hacker masqueraded as my friend during a chat session we had yesterday afternoon. They texted a few things which seemed out-of-character, so I contacted my friend through a different channel and discovered what was going on. She had discovered the hack earlier in the day and had changed her password, but she was still trying to do damage control. In an effort to prevent that from happening to my social media account, I turned on two-factor authentication.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: August 22, 2023, 06:51:17 pm »
We were able to get a lot of decorating done over the weekend. I printed and framed six 8x10 prints, two 8x16 prints, and reframed a 12x18 print. I also hung several other decorative items. I even pulled two large prints from their frames so I could clean the glass. Both sides of the glass seemed a bit foggy for some reason. We still have some work to do, but it definitely looks more like a home now.

I visited my local electrologist yesterday for a one hour session. My face and neck only took about 10 minutes, and there was no underarm hair. There were a few thin, light-colored hairs on my chest and legs, but most of the appointment was spent on my arms.

The voice therapy classes start up at UAMS soon, but I will no longer be a client. Although I'll probably get some unofficial voice therapy, my main role will now be as a mentor to the UAMS student therapists. Our first staff meeting is scheduled next week, so I expect to learn more about my role then.

Monument Valley - 19 Sep 2008
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: August 25, 2023, 05:40:36 pm »
I had an eye exam yesterday, a follow-up from the cataract surgery I had several months ago. I mentioned that the prescription for my left eye was 'off', anything more than 40 feet away was out of focus. They checked my prescription, and everything looked correct. Then I showed them how they had adjusted my glasses during my previous visit. It looked like they had just twisted them at the bridge, which caused the lenses to be at different angles. They agreed that wasn't right, and mentioned it could be what was causing my vision issues. They adjusted my glasses properly, and my vision does seem to be much better.

Both of our cars need service. I took one of them in today. The dealer even made a purchase offer, close to the price we paid for it a year ago. Since we received a tax incentive on the purchase, we would actually come out ahead. We like the car though, so it will be staying with us for a while. Our other car has over 140,000 miles, and it has held up well. I ordered new air filters, which are simple to change, and it also needs an oil change, tire rotation, and transmission fluid swap. I'll try to get that taken care of next week.

I build my own PC's, and I like them to be quiet. I'm not a gamer, but I've noticed some of the photo editing tools are now taking advantage of GPU's. In the past, I had always gone with the best fanless card I could get. My nine-year old Radeon HD7750 with 1GB memory was probably the weakest part of my system, so I decided to upgrade. I now have a Radeon RTX 4060 with 8GB, which should be all I need for a while. 

Susan and I are going to do some additional decorating and general cleanup in our house this weekend. I'm on-call, so I can't go too far.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: September 13, 2023, 06:52:48 pm »
A good friend of mine recently visited with some of her buddies from college. It made me think about my friends, and how few I really have. I have moved eight times -- Texas, Virginia, Louisiana, Nebraska, Nevada, California, Arkansas, Colorado, and back to Arkansas. My 'oldest' friends are some of my current co-workers, but none of them are really 'close' friends. My oldest close friend is my first electrologist, CJ. We still keep in touch, and I visit her in Colorado when our schedules allow. Is it odd that my oldest close friend is someone I met just seven years ago?

There are many songs which can provoke an emotional reaction from me. Probably the most powerful one is 'Cat's In The Cradle' by Harry Chapin. Despite my frequent visits, my dad is not one of my favorite people. Until I discovered my truth, in many ways I was just like my dad -- and I blame him for that. He was an authoritarian bully who controlled everyone in our family through intimidation. If someone asked what one word best describes my childhood, it would be 'fear'. His punishments were carried out with the belt from his Air Force uniform. What he did would be considered child abuse now, but back then I thought it was normal behavior. Although I have broken free of his control, my family suffered from some of the 'lessons' I was taught. Although we have a good relationship now, I will not shed any tears when his time comes.

We discovered that the next phase of our housing development will be behind our house, so we will soon be losing the meadow and trees. We do have a 20-foot easement behind our lot for drainage, so at least we will have a reasonable amount of separation. The lots will be larger, around 1/2 acre. Hopefully the larger lots will result in single-story homes.

I'm going to be busy later this month:
20 Sep    Medical appointment (Hot Springs, AR)
22 Sep    Electrolysis (Colorado Springs, CO)
23 Sep    Hair appointment (Colorado Springs, CO)
23 Sep    Engagement photo session (Colorado Springs, CO)
26 Sep    Steph2.0 and SassyCassie visit (Home)
29 Sep    P!nk Concert (Arlington, TX)

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: October 25, 2023, 09:18:49 am »
After fighting through Friday afternoon traffic in Dallas on 29 Sep to get to our hotel, we discovered that just hours before our arrival the concert had been postponed. The hotel reset our reservation for the new date, and they didn't charge us anything. We fought our way back out of town, and spent the weekend with my dad.

I love listening to music while driving. Last week I decided to set up a new flash drive filled with my favorite tunes. While working on it, I realized the music software I was using with 'Android Auto' wasn't playing all of my songs. I discovered that it wouldn't play 'wma' files, and over half of my library was in that format. I tried a few other players, but none of them worked well for me. I couldn't find a good file converter, so I decided to re-rip all of my CD's (I have several hundred) using the 'mp3' format at the highest sampling rate I had available (320kbps). It took about three days for me to get through all of my CD's. I copied the music to a flash drive and removed the songs which don't bring me joy. After nearly a week of effort, I finally have my new flash drive ready, and yes, I made a backup!

One of our neighbors invited us to dinner at their house. Nothing fancy, just spaghetti with our choice of two different sauces, garlic bread, and salad. They also had some chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream for dessert! Several other families had been invited, and we all enjoyed the evening. The most interesting part was that I never mingled with the men, I stayed with the group of women all night. Susan left after dinner to attend an HOA meeting, and I stayed on the patio with four other moms. We were all just talking about the things going on in our lives. At one point I nearly began to cry, but I was able to recover quickly and I don't think anyone noticed. What brought on the emotion? I realized the situation I was in, a group of five moms simply talking about our lives and our families, and I was one of them.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: October 31, 2023, 07:31:37 pm »
We visited my dad over the weekend. After unloading our luggage at my dad's house, we all headed down to McAllister's for lunch with my brother, his wife, and their son. After lunch we took my dad home, then went back into town for a little shopping. Sunday morning we visited the cemetery, where my dad placed a fresh rose on the markers for my mom and brother. My dad wanted a sandwich for lunch, so we stopped at a Subway. Believe it or not, this was my dad's first ever visit to a Subway sandwich shop! After lunch, I replaced the lettering on my dad's rural mailbox. Once that task was done, we loaded up the car and headed home.

During past visits, my dad had mentioned that when he finds things I may be interested in taking home, he would leave them on top of the dresser in my old room. On this visit, a childhood toy was there - my  Fisher Price 'Huffy Puffy' train. I remember pulling that little train all over the house. The plastic string broke, so someone tied it to the smokestack on the engine. It's at our house now, and eventually I'll find a nice place to display it.

The Sunday after Thanksgiving, 2020, my mom broke one of her legs. Surgery was required. It wasn't healing properly, so she was moved into a care facility.  In early February they performed an MRI and discovered she had terminal cancer. After she passed, everything from her room was quickly boxed up. A few weeks ago, my dad found some Christmas gifts in one of the boxes, and one of the gifts was for me and Susan. Even though she knew her time was short, she was still thinking of others. It's a small gift, long and narrow, not very heavy. I may never unwrap it. What's beneath the paper can't be nearly as precious as the love it is wrapped with.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: November 1, 2023, 07:43:42 pm »
I plan to save the gift from my mom for sometime far into the future. The name tag is in my mom's handwriting, and I expect she wrapped it herself. Having that little sample of her is priceless. I do have a few other items my mom made. Years ago, she did a lot of ceramic work. I have a 'football player', a 'cheerleader' and 'Viking' figurines she gave me in the early 1970's. I was never a football player, nor was I a cheerleader, and I definitely was not a Viking, but my mom made them for me. The 'Viking' was my high school mascot.

The little toy train is a reminder of happier times. I remember playing with it quite often when I was four or five years old. I know it was a bit noisy and I expect my dad made me put it away on several occasions, but I do remember the little train being a source of joy.

Susan and I did a little shopping yesterday, our first stop was a local Harbor Freight. I needed a very sturdy hand truck (dolly), and I bought the biggest one they had. We also made a visit to TJ Maxx. I didn't find anything for myself, but I found a jacket for Susan, and Susan bought a ceramic snowman and some Christmas decorations.

They are clearing some land behind our house for new construction. The process exposed quite a few large quartz rocks, and we have been retrieving some of them to use as decorations in our garden. Several weeks ago I found a fairly large one, but it was too heavy to get into a wheelbarrow. After thinking about it for a while, I decided that a big hand truck might work. Yesterday afternoon, we successfully retrieved the rock. I'm not sure how much it weighs, but it is roughly 28in x 15in x 12in.

My mom when she was 17 years old.

Our new rock!

Sunrise from our backyard.
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: November 16, 2023, 06:57:01 pm »
I had a mammogram today, my first in Arkansas. It went well, but my breasts are already starting to feel a bit sore. After verifying my identity, the radiologist asked 'how old were you when you had your first period?' I told her that I usually don't mention this, but I was assigned male at birth. Then I said something like 'are you OK with that?' She gave me a sweet smile and said 'yes, it's not an issue'. We had a nice conversation, she asked why I moved to Arkansas, then we talked a bit about Colorado. She treated me as well as all of the other radiologists have, and no different than any other person with breasts. I should have the results in about 10 days.

After leaving the hospital, I stopped off to do some grocery shopping. On the way home, I encountered someone in one of those big, oversized pickup trucks who apparently thought the size of his vehicle granted him right of way on a one lane traffic circle. I had to hit the brakes to avoid him, so I also hit my horn. The truck stopped in the road, and the male driver got halfway out and was yelling at me, flipping me off, and motioning me to get out of my car as if I wanted a personal confrontation. I waved at him using the same number of digits he was using, and he got back in his truck and began creeping down the road at under 10mph. I quickly passed him, but then he acted as though he was going to follow me home. He made a good decision not to follow when I turned onto my street.

I have a front and rear dash cam, so I have video (and audio) of the event. I probably could have handled it better, but I handled it much more calmly now than I would have several years ago.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: November 18, 2023, 06:28:07 pm »
I got new tires for my Honda today. The tread was down to 4/32s. Although still 'legal', at that depth driving at highway speeds in the rain becomes a safety issue. I'm also going to be getting a new windshield in a few weeks. All the driving I did in Colorado winters with the 'traction material' they use on the roads left my windshield hopelessly pitted. Driving towards the sun creates way too much glare.

After dropping off my car, I walked to a nearby sporting goods store to kill some time. About 15 minutes later, a man walked up to me and asked how long it was going to take them to finish working on my car. I thought it was an odd question, then I noticed an envelope from the tire store in his shirt pocket. Did he follow me over, or was it just a coincidence? He was heading back to South Carolina and his truck suddenly started feeling odd, apparently the belts in one of his tires had separated.  We talked for 10 - 15 minutes, then it was time for me to get my car.

The mammogram I had Thursday did not cause lasting soreness. Although they felt a little bruised after the exam, they didn't get worse. It was one of the least uncomfortable mammograms I've ever had.

My on call rotation continues to be difficult, easily the most calls I've received in the last year. Luckily, all of the calls have been something I knew how to handle. My two-week rotation ends Monday morning.

Still no update on the P!nk concert schedule. I plan to visit Colorado again 8 - 10 December, if the weather cooperates.

My pitted windshield... yes, it's clean.
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •