Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Jessica's Rose Garden

Started by Jessica_Rose, January 17, 2018, 08:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayna

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on December 02, 2018, 10:08:32 AM
Carl may get out of the hospital soon, but his kidneys have failed. I still don't know the full extent of his condition.

...I was a tall, beautiful teenage girl when she first saw me!
Good luck to your brother. Many people live without functioning kidneys; I hope he'll be able to do as well.

Now you don't have to worry about misgendering. You have a misageing (?) problem ;) Are you a cross generationer? You were misgenerationed?

Sent from my Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

If so, then why not?
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Still no update on Carl, but no news is good news.

We had a Winter Craft Fair at work on Tuesday. I bought a necklace, a cranberry scented candle, and a few other small items. The best part was a conversation I had with one of the vendors. After asking me to smell one of her handmade soaps she asked "How tall are you?", I told her that I was 6" 1'. She was very petite, and we started talking about clothing sizes. She showed me her shoes -- size 1 1/2, so I showed her my boots -- size 13! I noticed she was really craning her neck to make eye contact so I got down on one knee, then we were eye-to eye. We kept talking for about 15 minutes, and eventually I mentioned my daughters. She said something about me being a mom, then I told her there was something I had to show her -- I pulled out my old driver's license. She couldn't believe it, and in the next few minutes I got four or five hugs from her! Encounters like this really make my day.

On Wednesday Susan told me about something she had been doing that made me smile. She had started writing letters to the publishers of magazines we subscribe to, asking them to change the name on the subscriptions. I had never asked her to do this, she was doing it because she knows how much pain my dead name causes. I'm not sure that I deserve someone like her.

Thursday was another visit to the lightsabre salon. They treated my upper and lower legs along with my stomach. My lower legs and stomach are nearly hair-free now, they plan to spot-treat those areas during future appointments. My upper legs are getting better, but it is still exceptionally painful in a few spots, much worse than upper lip or south pole electrolysis.

Today I received a letter from USAA. This was the third letter I had received regarding the title of my car. USAA had released the lien so I could register the car under my name, but now they are having trouble recording the lien because the name on the loan does not match the name on the title. I called them after the first letter, and sent my own letter in response to their second request. I was expecting something different this time, but sadly I was mistaken. The letter I sent them made no difference. The envelope contained exactly the same 'one and the same' affidavit as before, which requested me to sign using my dead name. I called USAA again.

After explaining my situation to the first representative she said there was nothing they could do. I had to either sign the document or refinance my loan, at more than double my current interest rate. I told her neither of those options worked for me, so I was transferred to another office. I told my story again and received the same options, so I provided the same response. One more transfer, but the third representative was the jackpot.

I explained the situation to 'Lily' and told her how much pain my dead name causes. She understood. It seems her daughter shares an apartment with a transgender man! Lily said that I am the first transgender person their office had encountered with an issue like this. She worked with me for over 30 minutes, and no solution was apparent. However, she agreed that I could not sign the document using my dead name since that was no longer my legal name! Score! She created a 'work item' explaining the situation, which will be reviewed by their legal folks so they can come up with a way to deal with this situation. Lily also noted that they should stop sending me letters and documents with my dead name. I told her that she had made my day, and I thanked her profusely. Lily even gave me her extension in case I needed to contact her again. I am hopeful this has put the issue on a path to resolution.
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

LizK

Hi Jessica rose

I have finally caught up with your thread. Firstly I hope your brother is doing Okay again but from your description it sounds like a tough battle.

What a thoughtful, kind thing for Susan to do about your name change...wonderfull. I think she might love you a bit [emoji3]

This whole name change can be a right royal pain and end up in in catch 22. Frustration is par for the course...It is fantastic to see you sounding so positive....and whats that I see at the bottom of your post...a count down....yahooo for you

take care

Liz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Thanks Liz. My 'Time since starting HRT' ticker wasn't really that useful anymore, and a countdown is more appropriate. Now I'm heading towards that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! I realize that won't be the end of anything, just the beginning of a new chapter in my journey.

Although your new chapter got off to a rough start, it sounds like the skies have cleared and hopefully it will be smooth sailing for you now. As always, I wish you the best of everything Liz.
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
  •  

davina61

Yes the dreaded name change game, have been trying to kill my old email that has my dead name. Trouble is its linked to some forums and finding it hard if not impossible to do.   
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Donica

Hi Jessica!
Yes, this name change thing can be challenging at times. You would think this wouldn't be such a problem as many people change their names. I have sent 3 request to my auto insurance Co to change my name on my account but haven't heard back yet. I'm still waiting for my new Medicare card so I can change my medical insurance and prescriptions. Everything else flew right through but these last 2 things are just ugh!!
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Carl is back at the nursing home, but he may never be able to return home. I remain hopeful.

I got a call from USAA on Monday afternoon, and twice the representative (not Lily) mentioned my dead name. After the second incident I asked her to please stop using that name, and I explained 'deadnaming' and why it was so painful. Later that day I went to my electrolysis appointment, and by the time I arrived my anger had grown to the point I couldn't contain it any longer. Only my electrologist (CJ) was there, so I found a nice sturdy wall and threw my forearm into it as hard as I could. Luckily the wall held. I sat down with CJ, and she comforted me for 10 - 15 minutes. I was crying because of the pain from my past and my shame at not being able to control my anger. Once I calmed down we started my session, and I fell asleep while she was working on my face.

Yesterday Susan took down two plaques in my office that had my dead name, she replaced them with signs containing inspirational sayings, like 'The best thing to hold on to is each other.' Yes, I am lucky to have her in my life.

Today the same USAA representative from Monday called. I asked her if they had ever received training about dealing with transgender members, and she said 'no'. She mentioned she had worked in that office for over 12 years and had never knowingly dealt with a transgender member. I told her how angry the deadnaming had made me, but then I said I couldn't be upset with her because she had no idea about the pain deadnaming could cause. I told her that I would be happy to educate them if they had any questions.

After work I had another electrolysis session for a 'south pole' clearing. We are making good progress, and it is slowly becoming less painful.

I also had a nice surprise when I got home. In addition to some chocolate chip and oatmeal scotchie cookies Susan baked, my Blondo winter boots arrived! Blondo sizing runs small, I had to order size 14! They do fit, and hopefully they will help keep my feet warm. 
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

LizK

Deadnaming sucks and I hate it...unfortunately its one of those things that is really hard to prepare yourself for as it usually happens when you least expect it...I got an email out of the blue yesterday addressed to my old name...some advertising...I went to the site and stopped my account and subscriptions

Your loverly partner has your back and so does your electrologist...which is soooo good!

I hope you are feeling better

Take care

Liz

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Margarine

HI Jessica,
I am happy you are using Dr. Ley! She has been amazing with GCS, Stage 2 and BA! She called just today to see how I was and came to the Hospital on numerous occasions during the GCS procedure. I am so please she will be holding clinic's in Portland, so much nicer for a 6 hour round trip drive and not a flight!
Take care
-M
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Margarine, thanks for letting me know about your positive experience with Dr. Ley. I know two other women who went to her, and they were also very happy with the results. Although a surgeon at Denver Health recently started performing GCS after some training from Dr. Bowers, I would much rather go to someone with more experience. Now knowing three women who are happy with Dr. Ley gives me even more confidence. She is a 12hr drive from my house, but I know it will be one of the best rides I ever take!
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

I don't understand how this happens. Yesterday one of our managers from Cleveland came to meet a potential employee. He had never met me before, but he knew I was transgender. I showed him around the building and we talked for about 30 minutes. About two hours later he brought the potential employee up to talk, and the manager introduced me using the wrong pronoun! He quickly corrected himself, and I talked with the potential employee for about 20 minutes. The manager apologized to me later. I told him that I knew it was a simple mistake and that he meant no harm, but that didn't make it any less painful. When he had some time I joined him in a guest office and told him my entire story, as much as I could cover in an hour or so. He said that he was glad he had met me, and that he learned a lot from our discussion.

How can someone who had never met me before, who only knows me as Jessica, introduce me with the wrong pronoun? When I look in the mirror I don't see 'him' anymore, I only see Jessica Rose. Am I deluding myself? Is it that obvious I used to present myself as a different gender?
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

GordonG

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on December 15, 2018, 02:45:56 PM
I don't understand how this happens. Yesterday one of our managers from Cleveland came to meet a potential employee. He had never met me before, but he knew I was transgender. I showed him around the building and we talked for about 30 minutes. About two hours later he brought the potential employee up to talk, and the manager introduced me using the wrong pronoun! He quickly corrected himself, and I talked with the potential employee for about 20 minutes. The manager apologized to me later. I told him that I knew it was a simple mistake and that he meant no harm, but that didn't make it any less painful. When he had some time I joined him in a guest office and told him my entire story, as much as I could cover in an hour or so. He said that he was glad he had met me, and that he learned a lot from our discussion.

How can someone who had never met me before, who only knows me as Jessica, introduce me with the wrong pronoun? When I look in the mirror I don't see 'him' anymore, I only see Jessica Rose. Am I deluding myself? Is it that obvious I used to present myself as a different gender?

I would guess that he heard about you before he met you. Maybe you could have asked him when you were discussing your story.
I'm a gender confused guy who lives an hour north of Seattle.
I believe that I was influenced by DES. I have crossdressed in public a handful of times, see avatar picture (enhanced with FaceApp).
I don't plan on transitioning, no GRS, FFS, nor BA.
I consider myself TransFeminine. But reserve the right to change my mind at any time.  ;D

Spironolactone; 7-16-2018
E sublinguals; 10-5-2018
Orchi; 2-15-19
No more Spiro. 

•  

Rayna

I think this is one of those "elephant in the room" things. Despite never knowing you as anyone but Jessica, he had heard about it, and it was circulating in his mind. I did this to a transgender friend once, and likewise apologized immediately (I had never known her as anybody but "her"). How did I, a "fellow traveler" do this? The subconscious can be an insidious force...
If so, then why not?
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: RandyL on December 15, 2018, 03:17:30 PM
I think this is one of those "elephant in the room" things. Despite never knowing you as anyone but Jessica, he had heard about it, and it was circulating in his mind. I did this to a transgender friend once, and likewise apologized immediately (I had never known her as anybody but "her"). How did I, a "fellow traveler" do this? The subconscious can be an insidious force...

Yes, exactly.  I am part of a church group that has never known me as anyone but ME.  I moved as part of going full-time, and have established myself in this community.

Despite never having seen me or knowing my old name, appearance, or anything about my past, once even fully accepting folks learn I am trans, they start misgendering me.  Much of this is that subconscious knowledge that the person they are facing was once a different gender.

I have also found some other quirks, where people misunderstood what 'transgender' means.  I have had folks who thought I was a drag performer, a guy who enjoyed cross-dressing, and a lovely confused older gal who thought I was transitioning to become a man.  Education is important.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

LizK

Hi Jessica-Rose

This kind of misgendering is always the most painful...the physio who got me out of bed day 2 after GCS at Knox hospital came out of my room and turned to my wife and said "He" is all set to go now...she glared at the woman and pointedly said you mean "she"...oh yes sorry she replied "she".

I read Michelles comments and remember the posts she made about this at the time and have thought about it for a long time...why?...I agree you both are easily identifiable as a women. I have seen and met women who more masculine looking that I am...but even still, they do not get misgendered as a matter of course....

My thinking goes something like this...

You look like a woman, sound like a woman, move like a woman, interact like a woman, wear female clothes jewellery, perfume and makeup...you have no beard or excessive hair....Hmmm but yet a newly met colleague misgenders you?? On basis of what they may have "heard"

Is it that people will believe the misinformation before the correct information especially if it works with their own(undeclared) internal transphobia...I am not saying these people are bad or deliberately set out to denigrate you...they have been bombarded with the same messages for years.

When you look at all the messages within our society about trans women and the derogatory things that are alleged, implied and eventually said out loud, the messaging is constant.

I turn on the TV and so many programs will make  derogatory jokes regarding trans people or maybe its a drama  featuring a trans character played my an"cis person" The messaging is always the same..."trans women are not women" being "trans" is a lifestyle choice...many times this is dressed up in different language but the meaning is the same. You then have this same misinformation repeated in various ways reinforcing this bigotry so when they come across a trans woman their bigotry is triggered no matter how hard they may try.

I don't know if I am even close to the mark here and it is something I am still trying to wrap my head around but its my "best guess" so far. I can't seem to make

Just a few of my thoughts

Liz

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Rayna

What Liz says undoubtedly applies in some cases, and I'm sorry you've had to endure misgendering. I'm sure it's painful (as NB/gender-fluid myself I have a different experience).

That said, we are all, and I mean ALL, conditioned to gender everybody we meet. This is especially difficult when applied to NB people who don't even want to use gendered pronouns of either type. I remember meeting a person "Pat" at work and it took a number of meetings before I could decide she was a cis woman. It made me, and I know others, uncomfortable for a time.

But from observing my own experience of meeting trans people, I immediately "classify" them as their presenting gender and it sticks -- I don't usually even notice the other gender's characteristics any more. But if somebody learns, or clocks, that you are trans, they may flip the switch in their mind. This would be more common with non-allies, but could occur with anyone. Even with a fellow trans person, the switch might flip momentarily and lead to an accidental misgendering, as I did to a friend. This might be due to prior-gender characteristics temporarily coming to the fore (take a look at me without a wig or a hat lol).

Great discussion, thanks.
Randy

Sent from my Victor 9000 using Tapatalk

If so, then why not?
  •  

Jessica_Rose

I had something quite affirming happen today. We went to the Ross store where my new friend Deva works and I found a few items to try on. As I was heading into the dressing room another woman came out and asked me to help her with the zipper on a dress. I made sure the zipper was up all the way and fastened the button for her. I then followed her back into the dressing rooms and helped her unzip also. No strange looks, only some nice conversation and a 'thanks' when we were done. I tried on the clothes I was considering, and as I left the dressing room Deva was smiling. She said I did that perfectly. That made me forget the troubles I had earlier in the week.
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on December 16, 2018, 06:38:32 PM
I had something quite affirming happen today. We went to the Ross store where my new friend Deva works and I found a few items to try on. As I was heading into the dressing room another woman came out and asked me to help her with the zipper on a dress. I made sure the zipper was up all the way and fastened the button for her. I then followed her back into the dressing rooms and helped her unzip also. No strange looks, only some nice conversation and a 'thanks' when we were done. I tried on the clothes I was considering, and as I left the dressing room Deva was smiling. She said I did that perfectly. That made me forget the troubles I had earlier in the week.

That sounds positive!

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Today was awesome! I got a call from USAA. They have given up trying to put the lien back on my car title, and I will not receive any more calls or letters on the subject!

My afternoon electrolysis appointment went well. I had not shaved since last Thursday morning, and although I could feel a few hairs I couldn't see them. CJ (my electrologist) cleared my face and neck, then worked on my chest. She said that unless the dark facial hairs come back strong after my recent laser treatment, I could probably stop shaving! It is too early to celebrate a total victory, but at least the grey hairs are now under control. January 31 will mark two years since I first visited CJ and began seeing her 2 - 3 hours each week.

CJ also gave my me a few gifts to take home. One would have been difficult to wrap, an orchid for Susan, and the other was a small box for me. I should have opened the box before I left. When I got home and unwrapped it, her gift brought tears to my eyes. I discovered I was holding a box from Kay Jewelers. Inside was a beautiful silver necklace. No one had ever given me something like that before... now I'm crying again.

CJ and her husband are truly wonderful people, and I realize how lucky I am to have found them. I honestly don't know how far I would have made it without their advice, comfort, and kindness. I will never be able to thank them for all they have done.
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

I visited CJ again today. She did another 'south pole' clearing and worked on my chest hair. My last shave was Thursday morning (13 December). Except for a few hairs on my chin, my face is still smooth. I won't see CJ again until 27 December, so I will probably shave again soon. It certainly is a good sign.

Something new happened today. In the past my 'equipment' had never been a source of dysphoria. Up until about two years ago I was happy to have it, although I had always yearned to trade it in for a different model. Today, suddenly I don't like what I see. My mind tells me that it shouldn't be there, and now it really bothers me. Only 108 days to go, but it feels like an eternity.
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •