Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Masculinity shaming in the trans community.

Started by AquaWhatever, December 28, 2017, 11:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daisy Jane

That's horrible! Let's call this what it is, misandry disguised as feminism. Now that you pass, you are the enemy.
  •  

Laurie

:police:  I have edited a couple of posts that were infringing on TOS 9 & 10. Let me remind everyone to be careful  in what they say and how they say it.  :police:

Quote9. If you disapprove of people who are Transgender, Gay, Lesbian, or Bisexual; or activities which cross gender boundaries; take your arguments to a more appropriate website.

10. Bashing or flaming of an individual or group is not acceptable behavior on this website and will not be tolerated in the slightest for any reason.  This includes but is not limited to:

Advocating the separation or exclusion of one or more group from under the Transgender umbrella term. The same restriction applies to advocating the removal of the T from GLBT.
    Suggesting or claiming that one segment or sub-segment of our community is more or less legitimate, deserving, or real than any others.

Suggesting that Trans people are not really men (FTM) or women (MTF).
    Posting any messages that engages in personal attacks and/or is actively or passively aggressive no matter the provocation.
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

SeptagonScars

Your friend doesn't seem to understand or accept you at all, or to even be willing to try. It sounds like he demonised you for no good reason at all, but I'm sure he had his reasons. Masculinity isn't toxic in and of itself and it's not wrong either, just like feminity isn't either. But sure, there are toxic aspects of both as well. But we don't choose what way of expression makes us comfortable or not, and that should be respected. Just like any of our boundaries. Also, forcing/coercing trans men to wear dresses seems incredibly messed up. It would have been fine if it had been an open choice like "for anyone who wants to" though. I thought the purpose of a trans group was to offer support to trans people, not to purposely trigger their dysphoria. I don't know if it's just willful ignorance or maliciousness, but either way, I think you made a good choice to run away from there och also keep the friend at a distance. If it was me though, I think I might have taken a dress and worn it tied around my waist over my regular masculine outfit, or around my neck like a scarf, just to mess with them cause that's how I like to rebel sometimes. (But maybe that's just me).
Mar. 2009 - came out as ftm
Nov. 2009 - changed my name to John
Mar. 2010 - diagnosed with GID
Aug. 2010 - started T, then stopped after 1 year
Aug. 2013 - started T again, kept taking it since
Mar. 2014 - top surgery
Dec. 2014 - legal gender marker changed to male
Jul. 2018 - came out as cis woman and began detransition
Sep. 2018 - stopped taking T and changed my name to Laura
Oct. 2018 - got new ID-card

Medical Detransition plans: breast reconstruction surgery, change legal gender back to female.
  •  

RedSoxMichael

Wow, that is some toxic crap. I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a dress either. Yeah, I did so in the past just like you, I mean they realize that, right?

Of course you have a male ego, you're male. Seems like "cody" is jealous that you are passing more and projecting a lot of his own issues on you. <expletive deleted> that whole toxic lot.

<Edit of unacceptable language by moderator>
  •  

RedSoxMichael

Quote from: CMD042414 on December 28, 2017, 07:52:52 PM
I remember when the gay marriage debate really took hold. There was a ground swell of mainly gay men who were not on board because they felt the community was becoming to mainstream. That part of gay identity is bucking the norm and challenging socially accepted forms of relationship and sex roles.

I feel like the trans community does the same thing in a way, not about marriage though. Those of us that are NB or genderqueer or agender what have you, have a visceral reaction to trans folks that do fall squarely on a side of the gender expression binary. Especially the masculine side. I think they feel we are conforming too much for their liking.

I think you are right about this. I think some people even romanticize trans people mid transition and get annoyed when we complete our transitions and blend in with boring cis people. (Some of the people who are obsessed with this are >-bleeped-<s. Which is gross because you've eroticized the consequences someone else's self harm (that is, being in a chronic dysphoric state).)
  •  

RedSoxMichael

Quote from: Viktor on December 28, 2017, 09:09:36 PM
Some of femininity is toxic as well. But we never hear anything about that.

You know, that is true.

You do hear about that in 2nd wave lit but it's not a well formed notion. Femininity is cast as the creation of patriarchy to bring women down, which of course is not true, but it seemed logical in a world where women in the workplace and in the home were forced to conform to a certain standard of femininity which was policed by men. That was horrible and oppressive.

Women absolutely do bully and police other women for not conforming enough, just as men do to each other. This absolutely does get talked about in feminist media a lot although I don't think there's a blanket term for it.
  •  

RedSoxMichael

Quote from: kayla1618 on December 29, 2017, 12:15:26 AM
You'd think as trans people we would understand other peoples needs to exist within the spectrum and not have to fully be masc or femme.

Seriously. We are all going through the same pain. It seems like whatever decade within the trans community there is this push to balkanize into subgroups by sexuality or gender spectrum.
  •  

AquaWhatever

Quote from: RedSoxMichael on January 20, 2018, 10:24:02 AM
I think you are right about this. I think some people even romanticize trans people mid transition and get annoyed when we complete our transitions and blend in with boring cis people. (Some of the people who are obsessed with this are >-bleeped-<s. Which is gross because you've eroticized the consequences someone else's self harm (that is, being in a chronic dysphoric state).)

I realized I was harsh on the NB community as it's not all of their faults either.
But I agree with the romanticizing of the trans people among young cis girls and NB people.
Especially trans masculine identifying people.
I think that's when the trans movement went south for me. Everyone wanted to twist it and make it their own.
That group was really toxic because they went out their way to portray these fantasies in real.
I'm not the one to undermine someone's transition or trans status whatever you wanna call it,
But when you say you are trans with no dysphoria that really rubs me wrong.
  •  

November Fox

I think most of what I think has been said.

I'm really glad that the people at Susans are accepting of every type of trans person. Where I live there is a trans group too and they are fairly into the nonbinary/anarchist thing. Which is fine but I know quite a few transguys in the area who don't go to their meetings because of it.

I think a lot of men (and by implication transmen) deal with socialized shame towards (their own) masculinity. This is really >-bleeped-<ty. Healthy masculinity is nothing to be ashamed of.
  •  

rmaddy

Quote from: November Fox on January 20, 2018, 11:54:41 AM

Healthy masculinity is nothing to be ashamed of.

Agreed!

(We just haven't been given opportunity to see what it looks like yet)
  •  

CMD042414

Quote from: November Fox on January 20, 2018, 11:54:41 AM
Healthy masculinity is nothing to be ashamed of.
This is so important. As I take in all of the news about the #MeToo movement and come across story after story of violence committed by mainly unhinged young males, I am reminded of how important it is to promote and cultivate models for healthy masculinity. It's so important. I think the shaming of masculinity you see in the trans community and in society at large right now is born out of pendulum swinging hard in the opposite direction as as pushback towards toxic masculinity that has gone unchecked for eons. Ideally the pendulum comes back to center. But men and women alike have to teach men that to be a man does not mean violent, mysoginist, sexually aggressive, emotionally repressed neanderthal. In our community add to that the issue of gender identity and expression and we'll, it's a powder keg.
Started T: April 2014
Top Surgery: June 2014
Hysterectomy: August 2015
Phalloplasty: Stage 1-August 2018
  •  

Kylo

The main problem here is people are now equating normal male behavior with sexism and "toxic masculinity".

For example.

The other day I was watching a Jarmusch film called Paterson. There is a scene in the film where two guys are sitting next to each other on the bus talking about women. If you watch the movie there is nothing they say to each other that could be construed as hateful (i.e. misogynistic) toward women, they are only talking about the attractiveness and potential for a date of two women each of them had met. They both were interested in the women and I assume were hoping to meet them again, or for their interest to be reciprocated. The way they speak is quiet and relaxed, it isn't loud and obnoxious, the way they talk about the women is as if they (the men) are the passive actors in the situation, waiting for the women to show interest, not trying to force themselves on them or anything. If it was meant to be a nudge-nudge wink-wink sort of thing it was the subtlest and most harmless I have ever seen. Halfway through their conversation, a random female stranger gets up to leave the bus and gives them a dirty look as she leaves. The main character, who has been listening to the conversation sees this and stops smiling as he is listening to the men talk.

So you have two men talking about their interest in particular women and a third listening and empathizing with them, then a woman walks past and they all shut up, and the main character listening suddenly thinks about it from her point of view and stops smiling.

Fine.

Except what they were talking about and the way they were talking about it was hardly misogynistic or deserving of a dirty look. How many times had the main character heard a woman on the bus complaining about men, I wonder. Or a wife about her husband. Like I have in real life. Did men walk past and give dirty looks in response? I doubt it.

So then I happened to be reading a review on the film and whoever was reviewing it for The Guardian claims that: "There is a very real, nuanced moment when, listening in to his passengers' conversation, Paterson starts smiling at the machismo of a couple of bragging, sexist guys – but a female passenger frowns at them while getting off: Paterson sees that and thoughtfully corrects his own smirk."

That's right, men being interested in women, and talking about them (in non-derogatory way), is sexist.

This is a good example of the problem right here. This is perfectly normal, harmless behavior for men to engage in. No woman is being insulted, no woman is being treated like dirt, in fact the women are clearly the object of admiration and desire of the men, made evident by the way they speak about the encounter. They are not broadcasting it to the entire bus, at least it's not implied they are. It's a private conversation only they are having, that the driver is able to overhear, and the women who passes them while leaving the bus. But it's interpreted as two men being utterly skeevy about women. It's interpreted as bragging. If that scene was bragging, it was rather subtle. And what were they bragging about? Having slept with the women and dumped them after? No. One was "bragging" (or more likely excitedly relating, almost like a little boy) about how he had a nice conversation with the woman and how she was keeping eye contact with him. The other talked about how the woman he was interested in was being flirtatious and gave him her number. It was kind of sad really, how that scene felt to me - two guys so happy about the fact a woman looked at them or even talked to them. And even sadder that some idiot at the Guardian interpreted this as sexism.

It will be a miracle in the near future if men want to have anything to do with dating or with sharing their emotions at all if we are at the point where just talking about women is some kind of sin. The movie implies it's bad to talk about women, and the review implies it's sexist to open your mouth about them too.

But let's take the script and flip it shall we?

Two women talking on a bus about two guys they had met. One says,

"So you know that cute little guy who works at the Doner place?"
"Yeah, yeah, he's pretty hot."
"Turns out he was in my neighborhood. The other day after I came home from work, tired, I'm having a drink, I hear a knock at the door, I answered it and it was him. he was looking really good."
"So what happened?"
"We just talked there at the door for a while... he was laughing a lot, making eye contact... he wanted to hang out, you know?"
"What else?"
"We had a nice conversation but I was really tired, I hadn't showered or anything, so he left. But I think he was into me. You know?"
"Oh yeah, for sure. These guys are out of control."

[This is the point in the film a woman walks past and gives a dirty look].

Would that be sexist and should a man have walked past and given them the daggers?

If that's sexist I'm the Pope. It's like the movie actually went out of its way to make the conversation as sweet and nice as possible and a woman still gives them the eye.

I think we need to recognize what the hell sexism is actually supposed to be and stop equating it with everything a man might do or say. I find it highly disturbing. And more and more men I know are choosing not to risk relationships with women at all... I think that's down to several factors but the fact we aren't apparently even permitted to speak about women without being called pigs isn't helping. It's also a huge double standard, since the women I know will freely drool over men, as well as call them for all kinds, without anyone being upset.

If people think we can live in a world without any risk at all, without any possibility of hurt feelings or having to deal with a man's feelings by crushing men further and further into a box they do not fit into, or by "training" men to be more like women, not only does that leave you open to the truly predatory men out there, who will refuse to be trained and will be able to walk right through all the men who have been trained not to stand up for themselves or others to get whatever they want, but we are probably actually causing mental illness in men by thinking we can even do this. Our school systems are already better geared for teaching female children than male ones, and I am surprised to learn the extent of the pro-female sexism that we are heaping on kids these days. I have read that here in the UK there are far more female teachers than male ones and many have admitted giving higher scores to girls out of their own bias toward women. They also have admitted to punishing boys for being naturally energetic, and children in the US have had this happen to them as well - dosed up with pills for not sitting still and quiet for long enough in school, diagnosed with various disorders etc. We already know this affects boys more than girls, from the statistics. I know over here, energetic activities are slowly being done away with for children on the grounds of safety - they even banned playing tag for god's sake. But masculinity in general is being treated like a disease. It has to stop or society is going to create several generations of very, very screwed up men and that is never good.

The only place I have seen boys less affected by this society-wide grudge against them is in private boys-only schools, where the teaching is specifically geared for them and the intent is that their parents pay to have them excel. This is awful that only those boys whose parents have the money to send them to such places can really see them get the teaching environment that works well for them. Personally I think segregation based on sex is unnecessary in schools and shouldn't have to occur, but if the current situation is that if boys and girls learn together than everything should be geared to make only the girls comfortable (or indeed that boys are graded down just for being boys) this is also wrong. A compromise has to be made.

We sorely need some common sense brought into male-female relations and what society thinks they should be like, because at the moment they are insane. There can actually be a good balance. I believe we hit it and overshot it about 10-15 years ago. When there was increasing respect for women, but not some flat-out hatred and demonization of men. Now it's simply gone too far. A generation now believes everything around them is sexist, men are inherently evil, women are inherently good and pure, and that women deserve revenge against men. None of those things are true.   

"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

WolfNightV4X1

This thread has likely already been talked about in earnest, but they completely missed the point of what "toxic masculinity" is supposed to mean, assuming we're saying it exists.

Toxic masculinity is meant to refer to the extreme necessity of cisgender males who are homophobic/transphobic to not show ANY behavior or emotion that could constitute as feminine, and to shame and degrade other men who do not follow the masculine culture. Can they follow the "typical" masculine culture, yeah, but as soon as they do it to the point they're afraid of losing their masculinity by acting the wrong way and trying to enforce it on others, THAT'S toxic masculinity.

Those people are basically becoming the thing that they hate, and they don't even know it

•  

SonadoraXVX

Yea, I used to be like that at times, WolfNightV4X1, pre hrt.  Aquawhatever, I think that cody was superimposing his will on you. Guys, can sniff out other guys, almost pheromonic I say. 5 years hrt MTF, guys nowadays just pass me up and attend to rugged dudes, over femmydude/her?(ie.me) at carparts places, home depot, automechanics places, welding shops.  Having the group leader making you uncomfortable in wearing a dress, is a no no, if you don't want to do it, find another group.

Funny true story(ie.for me)similar to aquawhatever experienced the other day: I was at a tire/automechanic shop, having a passenger side cv boot/halfshaft replaced on my car(I bought the part), but could not remove it at home(i.e.guess I lost a lot of upper body strength/shrugs). So I am watching the mechanic take out the halfshaft at a lift, so I can do it at a later time and date on my cars(ie.save me the $140 I paid to have the part removed and replaced), mechanic dude advertently farted to get(i.e.femmydude/her) me away(i.e.school trained in small engine/diesel/automechanics/very little experience), I did not flinch an inch, and just focused on his workmanship and once I seen what I needed to know, thanked him, then I went my own way. No offense taken, just know dudes do that to get other undesirables away.

In my manly days, in the USMC, we used to have farting contests, you talk about disgusting and wanting to truly vomit at the smell, whoever dry heaved and/or vomited first, lost the bout/fight, it was hilarious, but turned disgusting after a time, so I know the drill.
To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".

•  

KarlMars

It's just plain bullying. No rhyme or reason to it. Don't let this person upset you because they're trying to.

SonadoraXVX

Yea, what Karl says, Cody is feeling insecure. Been bashed before too, especially because I won more, specific military awards, then my military brother. Scenario goes something like this:"Yea, you won more rifle and pistol awards than me, but I'm duel cool aka force recon, jump and scuba, MFer", I was like I can shoot straighter than you Mfer, but in my young mind, I was WTFO, he just wigs out at times because of it, even today, 30 years after the fact.

Trying to be the top dog, him, not me.
To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".

•  

Charlie Nicki

I think Cody has a lot of insecurities and he probably resents the fact that you pass better. I think it is absolutely out of place for one trans person to judge another on being either too masculine or too feminine. One of the things we learn is that we can build our identity as we see fit, so he should be able to respect your gender expression just as you respect his.
Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •