Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Sarah's New World

Started by sarah1972, January 25, 2018, 12:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donica

My Endo requested one for me just after 14 months HRT. I kept asking her to put it off but she wouldn't let me get out of it any more. It was affirming my first time and will just be a bother next year. And then comes the pap-smears after GCS. UGH! Welcome to women-hood.

Congratulations on your two year HRT Sarah!!! I still have 7 months to go before my two year.

Hugs,
Donica.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: sarah1972 on January 03, 2019, 02:01:02 PM
Yes, usually 5 years into HRT is the starting point. Some doctors want it earlier though

Interesting. Right after I came out to my family doctor he made the referral to go for my first one. That was after about 10 months on HRT, and I had just barely enough for the vise. I was 59 years old then, so maybe that's it.

It was wonderfully affirming, though, when the tech asked me when my last one was, and I outed myself by telling her, "never," and why. She took a step back, her eyes went wide, and she told me she'd had no idea. That was 7 months ago and things have gotten even better since then. She made me promise that I'd go back and see her next time. She was so cool that I can't wait to go back in May - well, except for that squeezer thingy.

Stephanie.

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

sarah1972

Quote from: Donica on January 03, 2019, 04:33:43 PM
My Endo requested one for me just after 14 months HRT. I kept asking her to put it off but she wouldn't let me get out of it any more. It was affirming my first time and will just be a bother next year. And then comes the pap-smears after GCS. UGH! Welcome to women-hood.

Congratulations on your two year HRT Sarah!!! I still have 7 months to go before my two year.

Hugs,
Donica.

Oh yeah, the pep smears. When it was time to say goodbye I just said that the next visits will bring more interesting stuff for her. She laughed and confirmed. She also seemed to know enough about dilation that I can avoid having to fly to NC with every issue.

Hugs,

Sarah

•  

JudiBlueEyes

@Sarah1972 @Alaskan Danielle @Donica @KathyLauren
Well I'm certainly over the minimum age!  But I do have cancer risk as my prostate was removed a number of years ago. I should look into this sooner than later.  Thanks for bringing up this issue.   :) 
But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
  •  

sarah1972

My family doctor asked too. But she is leaving this to my OBGYN. They are on the same online portal so they see what the other does.

I filled out an appointment request form, now I have to wait for the radiology to get back to me with appointment suggestions. If they insist on mid cycle, it will be end of the month anyways since I missed this time.

We will see there is so little to squeeze [emoji1744]‍[emoji3601]

Hugs, Sarah

Quote from: Steph2.0 on January 03, 2019, 04:39:39 PM
Interesting. Right after I came out to my family doctor he made the referral to go for my first one. That was after about 10 months on HRT, and I had just barely enough for the vise. I was 59 years old then, so maybe that's it.

It was wonderfully affirming, though, when the tech asked me when my last one was, and I outed myself by telling her, "never," and why. She took a step back, her eyes went wide, and she told me she'd had no idea. That was 7 months ago and things have gotten even better since then. She made me promise that I'd go back and see her next time. She was so cool that I can't wait to go back in May - well, except for that squeezer thingy.

Stephanie.

•  

sarah1972

I noticed one interesting thing: now that I am my authentic self and I have a daughter, I am a lot more diligent with screenings and checkups. I'll be in my mid 60's when she graduates college and I really want to see that. Maybe I make it long enough to walk her down the isle.

I hope when you do your screenings, everything will come back OK for you.

Quote from: JudiBlueEyes on January 03, 2019, 04:47:24 PM
@Sarah1972 @Alaskan Danielle @Donica @KathyLauren
Well I'm certainly over the minimum age!  But I do have cancer risk as my prostate was removed a number of years ago. I should look into this sooner than later.  Thanks for bringing up this issue.   :)

•  

Anne Blake

I don't know if it had already been mentioned but my OBGYN also sent me in for a bone density screening. I am glad she did because it indicated a couple of low readings and I have upped my calcium and D intake.
  •  

krobinson103

Breast scans. Been thinking about that. Been 1 year and 3 months since I started HRT and there have many changes along with rather fast breast growth. Been thinking at some point I should get them checked just not sure when...
Every day is a totally awesome day
Every day provides opportunities and challenges
Every challenge leads to an opportunity
Every fear faced leads to one more strength
Every strength leads to greater success
Success leads to self esteem
Self Esteem leads to happiness.
Cherish every day.
  •  

Jenny1969

Following. I hadn't thought about breast exams........This is going to be interesting.
Jenny :)

20 November 2018 Got off the fence. 3 December 2018 Initial consult and GD diagnoasis. 28 December 2018 started HRT. 14 Feb 2019 Started Spiro

•  

sarah1972

Quote from: Jenny1969 on January 04, 2019, 05:04:20 AM
Following. I hadn't thought about breast exams........This is going to be interesting.
Jenny - thanks for following.

It is very rare that trans women get breast cancer, especially for late transitioning women. But there are a few documented cases. I believe (but have no proof) that the length of Estrogen exposure is a part, so the younger you start the more important these checks get.

Official recommendation is to start after 45 and 5 years of HRT but this thread shows that many doctors start earlier. If insurance covers transgender services they also cover mammograms (and the dreaded prostate exams most of us will need)

There is still a lot the medical community has to learn about transgender care.

While I am sure it will wear off, it is very affirming. Since I get my hormones at a normal OBGYN office, it always is such a great feeling when I have to make my next OBGYN appointment. Makes me feel much closer to my actual identity. The same applies for Mammograms. Right now it is affirming but I know once they squeeze the vice on my very small barely cups, I will regret it....

Hugs,

Sarah

•  

Jenny1969

Thanks for the information......I am now being seen in the women's clinic too.  Not too sure how the cis women feel about me invading their space yet....Once I'm further into transition I think this will change...

Jenny :)

20 November 2018 Got off the fence. 3 December 2018 Initial consult and GD diagnoasis. 28 December 2018 started HRT. 14 Feb 2019 Started Spiro

•  

Donica

Quote from: sarah1972 on January 04, 2019, 07:44:13 AM
Jenny - thanks for following.

It is very rare that trans women get breast cancer, especially for late transitioning women. But there are a few documented cases. I believe (but have no proof) that the length of Estrogen exposure is a part, so the younger you start the more important these checks get.

Official recommendation is to start after 45 and 5 years of HRT but this thread shows that many doctors start earlier. If insurance covers transgender services they also cover mammograms (and the dreaded prostate exams most of us will need)

There is still a lot the medical community has to learn about transgender care.

While I am sure it will wear off, it is very affirming. Since I get my hormones at a normal OBGYN office, it always is such a great feeling when I have to make my next OBGYN appointment. Makes me feel much closer to my actual identity. The same applies for Mammograms. Right now it is affirming but I know once they squeeze the vice on my very small barely cups, I will regret it....

Hugs,

Sarah

Yes, It's a good idea to start early. Along with a annual mammogram, My Endo checks me for lumps every three months.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

sarah1972

Jan 15 - Another First and Another second

So glad Susan's is back up. Not having it made me realize how much I am relying on having it. We used the time for some other fun on Discord and in private communications to stay in touch with my friends.

Another First
As mentioned earlier, today was "boob squish" time - with 20lbs of pressure exerted.  4 images, two on each side, one from the top and one in a 45-degree angle. I joked she should grab the smallest pressure plate she has but she said she needed a larger one. Sweet of her recognizing my barely cups. She also asked twice if I am pregnant, guess I really need to work harder on my diet. I only responded with a "highly unlikely". I did not have to disclose my history and I don't think anyone even noticed. If they did, they did not even blink about it. The tech was a bit surprised about this being my first. So, it did hurt as expected, especially the 45-degree x-rays pressed against the sternum pretty hard. I made it through it and now I have to wait a week for the results to come in.
Overall a very affirming experience.

Another Second
Last Friday, I met with a Psychologist for my second evaluation and approval for GRS. All went well and yesterday I did receive the letter (the second one!) Now I am all set and can start the insurance pre-approval process. I paid Dr. MacPhee's office to actually do this, so I need to send them everything and sync up to make sure it all get's done. Then I can just wait.

Weekend
The weekend was really lazy, we did get about a foot of snow over two days and our planned trip to see friends was first pushed by a day and then canceled. We rescheduled for later this months. Kiddo, of course, had a blast since it is the first time in her young life she consciously experienced snow. We spent a lot of time outside and of course built the mandatory snowmen. Hot Mommy #2 also had some fun... Snow Blower!!!! and a good workout cleaning some snow off the pool. The cover we have is only rated for 1 foot of snow.
These snow events are always fun where I live. As usual, people stocked up supplies like there is no next day: Milk, Bread and Toliet Paper flew off the shelves. And of course, Monday schools, daycare, and even the Federal Government were closed. I know many here will just burst out laughing reading the struggle we have with even a little bit of snow (@Alaskan Danielle). Even the TV stations declare "Weather Alert Day's" and go into 24/7 full coverage. Little stupid, I grew up with at least 2 feet of snow between November and March, so I don't really get it.

I still had to work given that I work home office. At least my wife was home since her work follows the Federal Government. She and Kiddo went on a playdate with Kiddo's best friend.

Nothing much else to report, I am starting to get used to my new trainer in the Gym. He is a bit quirky but I have to admit he is starting to grow on me.

Hope you are all doing well!

Hugs, Sarah

91D20H52M

•  

Northern Star Girl

@sarah1972
Dear Sarah:
Snow fun with your young kiddo....their first snow experience...this is something they will  look forward to every year, it is so enjoyable to watch them as they navigate this new stuff called snow..... and of course you (Hot mama #2) can look forward to shoveling the sidewalk and porch and using your snow blower on your driveway.

I was a little puzzled as to why there was a shortage of supplies at your local stores while folks were getting ready for the snow storm.   Here, we keep our food pantries full and stocked up, vehicle gas tanks full, extra gas for the generator, propane tanks full, and extra bottled water..... I am on a water-well that takes electricity to pump it, so if all else fails I will at least have some water other than melting snow or ice.

I read your report on your thread about your "boob-squisher" event......  not too much fun.... but as it happened to you, for me the techs had no idea that I was not a cis-woman.......  very affirming as they apply more pressure.   It is tougher with smaller boobs.   My first mammogram was when I had just an A or a small B cup, and my last mammogram with my present C cup was much easier for the techs and for me.

That was great to hear that you met with your Psychologist for your second GRS evaluation.... I am trust and hoping and have my fingers crossed for you that all goes well and progresses as you have planned.

I am glad that you are getting along with your new trainer at your gym.....  that is always a good thing to be compatible with those that are directing your exercise routines.

Thanks for keeping your followers updated....  we are always looking for what is going on in your transition life.
Hugs and well wishes as always,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

KathyLauren

Thank you for your update, Sarah.  How very affirming to get your first mammogram!  I suppose I'll have that to look forward to before too long.  And congratulations on getting your second referral letter for surgery.  I am at a similar stage: both letters received, request in to insurance.  I hope you get your approval soon.

I am with Danielle on snow preparations: we are always prepared.  A few years ago, we lived on an island with very expensive ferry service to the nearest town with real stores.  Everyone got used to stockpiling two or three weeks' worth of groceries and supplies, just to minimize ferry fares.  So a big storm was no big deal.  We are still a bit in that habit, and don't quite get the last-minute hoarding thing.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Donica

Great update Sarah! For sure, we don't know what we have until it's gone. I glad Susan's is back up and running. If it wasn't for the other social media outlets, we would hardly get to hear from each other.

Though a bit painful, I'm glad you found the Booby Squish affirming as I did. Congratulations on receiving your two letters for GCS. I would be so excited I wouldn't be able to sleep.

Here in SoCal we get a little snow once every ten years or so but it usually melts when it hits the ground. We only have to drive a half hour or so to get to the mountains where the snow stays for the winter. Right now we are in a nasty 4 day rain storm and unfortunately mud slides in the burn areas from last years fires. We will dig-out as usual.

Good to here from you Sarah!
Hugs,
Donica. 
  •  

sarah1972

@Alaskan Danielle, @KathyLauren and @Donica - Thanks for your nice comments on my update.

I found this interesting flyer about mammograms for transgender created by Fenway Health: http://www.thecentersd.org/pdf/health-advocacy/breast-cancer-facts-for.pdf. It does contain quite some useful information. As usual, I don't get any results while there, I have to wait for a letter or a call to come back.

The mammogram was also part of the surgery preparation, my OBGYN wanted it to be done beforehand. And yes, Donica, I am already at a point where I cannot sleep at times thinking about the surgery and especially the time after. I am really getting excited. We will see what my insurance says about the letters in a little while.

I really need to ramp up preparations, there is still a lot to do to get ready. I want to clean out a storage room we have and transform it into a "Dilation Dungeon"... just some quiet room where I can get this done. We also want to change our nursery into a proper toddler room. Oh, and I do need to still find names for the dilators. I have started an Amazon shopping list for supplies. Also still need to book accommodation and file for FMLA and Short Term Disability since I plan to be away from work for 4 weeks.

To round out this fun day, I had my nuts roasted a South Pole laser session. This strange feeling when the numbing cream stops working.

We are generally on the well-prepared side. We usually have enough food in the house to last for a week or two. We have city water and a 5 stage filter system for drinking water. Milk for kiddo might be the only issue but worst case, she can go without by now. Since we live in the center of our town less than 200 yards away from the main power substation, outages are fairly rare and we are usually some of the first to get power back. We still have a natural gas powered standby generator which powers the essentials in our home like heating, lights and computer infrastructure. We can (and have) also cook just on generator power. Snow prep for us is mainly to gas up the snow blower and pull it out of the back end of the carport so we can get to it. While rare, we can get one of the nasty blizzards and we had at least two in the last ten years where we did get close to 2 feet within 24 hours (61 cm to be exact). During such events, I usually help out all the neighbors to get their driveways cleared out. Anywhere between 5 and 9 houses. We have also helped neighbors charge their phones during power outages. So, we don't have much to worry about, even if it hits unexpectedly. 

•  

sarah1972

Jan 30, long time... quick update

Oh... I just realized I have been absent from my thread for 15 days. Well, I have been really busy.

So here is a quick summary update:

Mammogram came back negative but they did note the dense breasts as expected. That is good, at least no recall for added screening.

Surgery planning is moving along, I did get my insurance pre-approval. Completed the first pass of bottom electrolysis and now have to wait for new hair to show up. This also means I did get my second letter without a problem. Lots of additional planning to do and I have started shopping for all the supplies I need. All the remaining pre-op appointments are scheduled and I have all the funds I need in my savings account. I have to pre-pay the entire surgery and get reimbursed later.

Work and family life has been really busy and I can barely keep up. Still no progress on the Dilation Dungeon.

I m putting a lot of energy in getting fit prior to surgery and lose some additional weight. Bikini season is not too far away.  ;D
I have joined a women's only running group and a subset is going through a 12-week beginner training under the leadership of two experienced runners. So very awesome and affirming to be part of a women's group and there is quite a bit of other social activity to attend with the women and I am looking forward to it. I am also at the gym a lot again. So far I am down 3 lbs. Want to get at least 12 more gone before surgery.

Overall I am marching ahead. Can't really wait to wake up after surgery...

So much in short. I hope all my readers are doing well!

Hugs,

Sarah

76D22H17M

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: sarah1972 on January 30, 2019, 09:32:15 AM
Jan 30, long time... quick update

Oh... I just realized I have been absent from my thread for 15 days. Well, I have been really busy.

@sarah1972
Dear Sarah:
Wow, your timing is impeccable....  I was just in the middle of posting my reminder on your thread... AND... sending you a PM to let you know that your update are very much missed by me and probably the rest of your followers.
QuoteSo here is a quick summary update:
Mammogram came back negative but they did note the dense breasts as expected. That is good, at least no recall for added screening.

Surgery planning is moving along, I did get my insurance pre-approval. Completed the first pass of bottom electrolysis and now have to wait for new hair to show up. This also means I did get my second letter without a problem. Lots of additional planning to do and I have started shopping for all the supplies I need. All the remaining pre-op appointments are scheduled and I have all the funds I need in my savings account. I have to pre-pay the entire surgery and get reimbursed later.
This is terrific news....  the way ahead for you is clear!!!   I bet that you are getting excited.
Work and family life has been really busy and I can barely keep up. Still no progress on the Dilation Dungeon.
I will reply with my statement that many Forums readers have heard from me before...
.....  "Busy People are Happy People"
I m putting a lot of energy in getting fit prior to surgery and lose some additional weight. Bikini season is not too far away.  ;D
I have joined a women's only running group and a subset is going through a 12-week beginner training under the leadership of two experienced runners. So very awesome and affirming to be part of a women's group and there is quite a bit of other social activity to attend with the women and I am looking forward to it. I am also at the gym a lot again. So far I am down 3 lbs. Want to get at least 12 more gone before surgery.
This is wonderful news...  12 more pounds... roughly 3 pounds a week should do it.  I am rooting for you.
Overall I am marching ahead. Can't really wait to wake up after surgery...

So much in short. I hope all my readers are doing well!

Hugs,
Sarah

I am so very excited for you and this big step that you will be taking in your transition journey.
Thank you Sarah for your update... a little late but I am happy that you found yourself back at your thread....  I don't like to issue warnings to my good friends that I reguarly follow... but it was very close!!!   
As our friend @Jessica is aware, I have 3 stages of "warnings"  ....   
... stage 3 is when I come to your home and knock on your door to check up on you.!!! ;) :o :-*

I will be looking for your next updates, wishing you well as always, thanks for posting.
Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

sarah1972

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on January 30, 2019, 02:44:37 PM
Thank you Sarah for your update... a little late but I am happy that you found yourself back at your thread....  I don't like to issue warnings to my good friends that I reguarly follow... but it was very close!!!   
As our friend @Jessica is aware, I have 3 stages of "warnings"  ....   
... stage 3 is when I come to your home and knock on your door to check up on you.!!! ;) :o :-*

I will be looking for your next updates, wishing you well as always, thanks for posting.
Hugs,
Danielle

Stage 3 warning sounds very tempting. I may have to try that  ;D

•