Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Does experience shape our Death Penalty Opinions? part 3

Started by RebeccaFog, July 25, 2007, 08:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please choose the option which best fits you.

Yes to Capital Punishment - I have not associated with lawbreakers
Yes to Capital Punishment - I have associated with law breakers
No to Capital Punishment - I have not associated with lawbreakers
No to Capital Punishment - I have associated with law breakers

RebeccaFog

Hi,

I am performing a fact finding expedition concerning the Death Penalty.

This poll is NOT MEANT to encourage a debate.  It's purpose is to gather some statistics on what it is that influences a person's opinion on using the death penalty.

The desired response is for a voter to choose an option which best fits their circumstance and, if desired, to write some comments related to their vote.  It is not required to leave a comment.

I purposely left ambivalent opinions out because I don't think they contribute to the friction between the 'for' or 'against' sides

There is no argument here.  If arguing is your game, then please start a thread for that purpose.

Posted on: July 25, 2007, 08:15:42 AM

I said no to capital punishment.

I have associated in some way with lawbreakers for much of my life.  Even when I 'went straight' I had associations with people of terrible backgrounds.

I will admit that I have cut them out of my life purposely.
  •  

Jay

Quote from: Kiera on July 25, 2007, 08:21:55 AM
As per SOP, I totally decline any comment . . .

What's SOP?

No to Capital Punishment - I have associated with law breakers. Thats what I have chosen. I have friends that have broken the law and they have been punished correctly and you know my views anyhow Rebis.

DAMN!!!! I chose the wrong one!! To much anger and angst. I am going to re-vote now if I can......  ::)

•  

Jay

•  

tinkerbell

Why do we always focus on the lawbreakers?  What about the victims? or perhaps the family, friends, partners of the victims?

Perhaps some of us are pro-death penalty because a relative, a friend, or a partner was raped, tortured and murdered by one of these scum bags.

tink :icon_chick:

P.S.  I did not vote.

•  

RebeccaFog

I'm really only wondering if the way we feel is based on how we live or have lived.  Life experiences.

I noticed that people really become entrenched in their opinions concerning this topic. I am curious as to why we each believe as we do. And why it is difficult to accept another person's opinion.

Victims are the most important people in all of this.  Nobody is more important than the victims, however, even victims disagree amongst themselves concerning this topic.
  •  

tinkerbell

There are things that are better left alone buried in the past.  I'd imagine that these experiences are extremely profound for people to talk about in a public forum.  My two cents.

•  

RebeccaFog

Yeah, Kiera,

who is Shelley?

Posted on: July 25, 2007, 10:11:13 PM
Quote from: Tink on July 25, 2007, 10:07:20 PM
There are things that are better alone buried in the past.  I'd imagine that these experiences are extremely profound for people to talk about in a public forum.  My two cents.

You're right.  I really do not want to bring up bad memories for anybody.  As I said, I really just want to better understand why people think the way we do.

No offense to anybody.  You know me.
Seriously, if several people (3) respond to each of these threads and ask that each be removed, I will remove it.
I don't want to hurt anyone.
  •  

Sarah Louise

Life's experiences effect every part of our life and how we react to things.

I worked for a mafia restaurant when I was young, I sat is some card games in the back room and saw things, I don't think this had anything to do with my opinion on the subject.

One of my parameters in a different thread here was definately colored by my "life's experiences" [pedifiles and their ilk].  Enough said.

Sarah L.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

Keira

Our opinion of death penalty is shaped by our lives, no question.
Just as the experience of the killer himself lead him to horrible end.

Since we cannot undead the dead and undo the harm done to the psyche of violent criminals, through more death, and more enforcement in general, I'd rather concentrate on why would someone kill? Why is the US such a violent place when other places with similar profiles and not death penalty and a lot less prisons and police, are not.

How different a society the US would be if for example, drug law enforcement money at all levels (prison, courts, police, etc) were redirected into education and support to the poorest.

I'd rather focus on not having murders/rapes/assaults through a more global solution than satisfying our visceral urge for punishment and revenge.

•  

Kylo

I will not say absolutely for or against.

There are different contexts to serious crimes against human life.

Manslaughter or extenuating circumstances - no. Perhaps even mentally ill serial killers should be studied as that might eventually help in understanding what is going on in their brains. It's known that the death penalty is not a great deterrent.

However.

Members of terrorist organizations hell bent on mass murder of civilians for political/religious conquest - I am not concerned about their lives. Particularly when they are a threat to large numbers of innocent people and encroach on stability of a free nation. In their case I see no issue with the death penalty, especially when they show absolutely no remorse and a joy in having killed people for its own sake. In this scenario if they are killed in the process of arrest I don't care. They have dedicated their lives to causing destruction and often of destroying themselves in the process anyway.

I don't identify as a lawbreaker. I've broken the law but in minor and inconsequential ways. If I caused extreme amounts of pain and suffering for others who did nothing to me, I should not be surprised if my life was ended by that society. There comes a point when whatever your justification or circumstances are, they cannot outweigh the harm you have done to the undeserving. And if they did it because they were having a moment of gullibility or stupidity... well, if I with all my problems and deficiencies in life have managed to avoid mass murdering, they should have been able to as well. I do NOT believe poverty or alienation justifies mass murdering/terrorist behavior. I have been poor and alienated and never descended to such a level. I have no sympathy for criminals of that caliber.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Deborah

I do not support the death penalty in the USA because I do not trust the justice system and think that in many cases it's corrupt with police and prosecutors favoring getting a conviction over any sense of right and wrong.

However, some people need killing, particularly mass murderers, rapists, and child molesters.  In those cases, if guilt is clear and indisputable, I'll volunteer to pull the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •