Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Do you color your hair regularly?

Started by KarlMars, January 26, 2018, 05:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you color your hair regularly?

Yes, always the same color consecutively.
15 (46.9%)
No
10 (31.3%)
Sometimes, and I switch colors.
4 (12.5%)
Sometimes, and mostly the same color.
3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Anne Blake

I get mine colored every two or three months, mostly to cover the gray from the temple area. I enjoy what the highlights do for my look. The  base color is very close to my natural color.
  •  

Christy Lee

Quote from: Allison S on February 12, 2018, 06:17:10 PM
It didn't for me either even though I always really wanted to. What difference would it make with an inch of hair lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Ive always had long thickish hair thats just something i was blessed with, i use to grow it out to like an afro style at school, i think i was trying to grow it out like a girl, but still it just never felt right to die and it i like having black hair, but ive thought about going either red or blonde in the past but as i said its never felt right as a boy
Whose that girll?
ITS CHRISTY

02/05/2018
Started Therapy
  •  

Cassi

I haven't progressed enough to pass as a woman yet but I have been experimenting with temporary colors.  Tried a "brown" look and my daughter tells me you are and always will be a blond!  Not sure if it was to compliment me or tell me I'm fer sure a blond, duh.

I would like to try some darker colors just to see.  When my daughter dyed my a darker shade than what my hair was it seemed that my facial color changed to. 
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

kitchentablepotpourri

I've been getting partial highlights with a toning glaze every 6-8 weeks, and full highlights with a toning glaze every 4 months; I love the color, but the longest my hair will grow is what you see in my avatar, so I'm going to give my hair a break from the bleach for awhile, and just get toning glaze treatments every 3 weeks since it is gentle and won't damage my hair.
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: kitchentablepotpourri on February 12, 2018, 09:43:49 PM
I've been getting partial highlights with a toning glaze every 6-8 weeks, and full highlights with a toning glaze every 4 months; I love the color, but the longest my hair will grow is what you see in my avatar, so I'm going to give my hair a break from the bleach for awhile, and just get toning glaze treatments every 3 weeks since it is gentle and won't damage my hair.

Your hair looks nice.  Mine, as opposed to my avatar is not Ben Franklinish, but not too far off :)
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

big kim

Been going grey since 19. 3 years since I had a colour, I'm now a natural ash blonde at 60. Have never got my hair to grow past shoulder blades, don't know if it's a family thing as my sister (58) is the same
  •  

SeptagonScars

Yeah, I always maintain my hair dyed. For a year now I've maintained it black, and re-dye the roots about once every 6th/8th week or so. Not very often but that's because my natural hair colour being dark brown, the difference is very small and barely even noticable. I also dye my beard and eyebrows black, which I do more like once every 2 weeks, cause I have light blonde stray hairs in my beard.

For me, I've always disliked my natural hair colour. I think it looks very dull, ashy and brought out all the flaws of my skin. I hated it as a kid and kept begging my parents to let me dye it. And I've also always been very drawn to contrasts, so black hair with my very light skin speaks to me. Fierce or intense looks in general, really though.

I generally prefer having a very masculine style, but if there's one aspect of me I like to be feminine about, it's my hair. I often tend to wear it in half updo's, curl it or braid it. Basically style it in ways men typically don't. Cause I feel confident now that I'll pass as a guy even if I wear my long hair like a bride's maid and that feels liberating somehow, for me. Sometimes I put fake-dreads in it though, like in my profile picture, so those dreads are not real but just temporary extensions.

I like going wild with my hair, but it's more so a means for me to express my creativity rather than my gender. I just want to show the artist in me.

I've gone with lots of other colours before though, but always keep going back to black. That feels the most "me" but sometimes I get bored with it. I haven't had my hair natural since I was 12 years old, which was almost 17 years ago now.

When it gets naturally grey though, I want to stop dyeing it, and be a total silver fox! But with long hair, like a wizard. I do look forward to getting grey hairs, but I suspect that will take another decade or two. Unless my harsh way of living will let me earn that prematurely.
Mar. 2009 - came out as ftm
Nov. 2009 - changed my name to John
Mar. 2010 - diagnosed with GID
Aug. 2010 - started T, then stopped after 1 year
Aug. 2013 - started T again, kept taking it since
Mar. 2014 - top surgery
Dec. 2014 - legal gender marker changed to male
Jul. 2018 - came out as cis woman and began detransition
Sep. 2018 - stopped taking T and changed my name to Laura
Oct. 2018 - got new ID-card

Medical Detransition plans: breast reconstruction surgery, change legal gender back to female.
  •  

HappyMoni

What does it usually cost to color and how often done? If you are thin up top and you color hair does it help or make the thinness look more obvious?
Monica
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: HappyMoni on February 22, 2018, 06:18:41 PM
What does it usually cost to color and how often done? If you are thin up top and you color hair does it help or make the thinness look more obvious?
Monica

My colour, cut, and style is $100, then a tip. Add in a Christmas present, too. My hair grows like weeds and the roots are pure white so I'm in every four or five weeks.
  •  

Anne Blake

My salon isn't quite as fancy as Devlyn's so it costs me between sixty and eighty for cut, color, highlights and styling plus tip. I get it done every three or four months. As for covering thin areas, I think it would only help if the color or highlighting that you are using is quite light so that your scalp would be less contrasty and wouldn't stand out as much.

Tia Anne
  •  

SeptagonScars

I dye my hair at home with store-bought hair dye (brands like Schwartzkopf, Loréal, etc), so it only costs me about 7-8 dollars, roughly conversed from Swedish krona. I also cut my own hair at home, with varying results, of course, but it saves me a lot of money nonetheless. I have no education in hair styling/dyeing, just self taught through many years of trial and error.
Mar. 2009 - came out as ftm
Nov. 2009 - changed my name to John
Mar. 2010 - diagnosed with GID
Aug. 2010 - started T, then stopped after 1 year
Aug. 2013 - started T again, kept taking it since
Mar. 2014 - top surgery
Dec. 2014 - legal gender marker changed to male
Jul. 2018 - came out as cis woman and began detransition
Sep. 2018 - stopped taking T and changed my name to Laura
Oct. 2018 - got new ID-card

Medical Detransition plans: breast reconstruction surgery, change legal gender back to female.
  •  

Janes Groove

I'm afraid to, my hair grows so slow, if they messed it up it would be a disaster for me.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Anne Blake on February 22, 2018, 06:50:43 PM
My salon isn't quite as fancy as Devlyn's so it costs me between sixty and eighty for cut, color, highlights and styling plus tip. I get it done every three or four months. As for covering thin areas, I think it would only help if the color or highlighting that you are using is quite light so that your scalp would be less contrasty and wouldn't stand out as much.

Tia Anne

I pay a yard waste/brush removal charge each time they cut my barbed wire, it drives the price up.  >:-)
  •  

Battle Goddess

I refresh my highlights about every six months. Every time I go, we keep shifting from more blonde to more red, and it keeps getting better and better.
Spironolactone January 10
Divigel January 20
Estradiol Valerate March 14
  •  

Maid Marion

I really like my natural salt and pepper hair.  It makes it really hard to guess my age! 
Since I've reduced my stress level while growing it out it has more areas of black.  ;D
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: Mendi on January 26, 2018, 09:58:00 PM
Red...you can't have enough red  :)
What she said.

So yeah, my red comes from a box. Do it about every 6 weeks.  Once in awhile I get it done at a teaching salon.  Not too expensive there.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

Linde

Yes I do.  I think I will let my hair go to it's natural grey, once it is as long as I want it o be (shoulder length).  I have lots of hair on my head, and once it will go grey, I will have a head full with lots of grey hair!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

LizK

Absolutely although  you wouldn't know it at the moment...its a lovely light brown with discerning grey roots...time for a redo but have been so busy lately I haven't made the time. After seeing myself the first time I did it I vowed I would never go back to grey with flecks of brown...it seemed to take years off my appearance.
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •