Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Terminology used in every day setting.

Started by SashaHyde, January 26, 2018, 11:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SashaHyde

I unfortunately work construction for the next while and today I was talking to a guy about where he lived and he said there are a lot of 'man-women' around that area. Now as I'm still closeted and have to be for a little while, I let it slide but it was interesting to note that while in the past I have heard people use varying terms and in the past have even participated in it to maintain the illusion. The shock came that after he said it I was, "oh yeah?" then I realized I AM one of those "man-women" he was referring to. I wasn't SUPER offended by it and I will have to have tough skin (but silky smooth, lol) to endure the next few years but to realize and accept I'm in that demographic now. Interested to note that I felt a kinship with those he was referring to. Another thing that got me thinking is the deliberate intonation to make that term derogatory.

Think positive thoughts, think positive thoughts! ugh

--Sasha
--Sasha  :P
  •  

Kylo

I find context is more important than words used. If it wasn't meant hurtfully, don't take it as such.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

rmaddy

Quote from: Kylo on January 27, 2018, 12:55:39 AM
I find context is more important than words used. If it wasn't meant hurtfully, don't take it as such.

Really?  In 2018, you think someone doesn't know the word transgender, but came up with "man-woman" innocently enough? 
  •  

SashaHyde

I think you'll find that in any malecentrc industry. It's part of posturing for male behaviour; anything soft or feminine is considered weak. And historically men needed to prove to others that they are tough. I don't know where you live but I think old tired norms still very much exist in your average male. Evolved men are special and uncommon. At least in my day to  day experience. :(

--Sasha
--Sasha  :P
  •  

Lynne

I'm still not out at work and I heard the same phrase recently from someone there and I'm not sure what to make of it. I wouldn't think my colleague was trying to be offensive but hearing it did not feel good and made me feel even more scared of coming out.
  •  

DawnOday

Quote from: rmaddy on January 27, 2018, 01:55:28 AM
Really?  In 2018, you think someone doesn't know the word transgender, but came up with "man-woman" innocently enough? 

Until the late 70's transgender was not even a word and was not adopted by the mainstream until the 90's.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

rmaddy

Quote from: DawnOday on January 28, 2018, 11:54:21 AM
Until the late 70's transgender was not even a word and was not adopted by the mainstream until the 90's.

It's been 40 years--two generations.  I would be willing to bet that "man-woman", in this case was a slur.  "He-she" and "it/that" are pretty common too.
  •