Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

FYI prostate cancer.. thought you should have a read if you're post op (pre too)

Started by Doreen, January 29, 2018, 12:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinaVane

Big gulp and I was just thinking bout the prostate and this popped up on my notifications

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C'est Si Bon
  •  

Doreen

Quote from: TinaVane on January 29, 2018, 12:24:57 AM
Big gulp and I was just thinking bout the prostate and this popped up on my notifications

See here's the thing.  This was in another discussion and got me thinking... After years of no androgen (talking decades).. I'm pretty sure the prostate is non palpable usually.. but would its existence be missed in MRI's, ultrasounds, CT scans, and pelvic cystoscopies?   Like 5 different docs have looked 'in that region', and nothing was seen of either the prostate or seminal vesicles.  PSA came back negative (which itself just means no elevated chance of prostate cancer, doesn't mean it doesn't exist though).

So would all the docs I've had looking there (I've had chronic pelvic pain for past couple months) all miss it? Or is it just simply not there.  I've been given multiple intersexed diagnosis, but I'm always allowing for the option that that's the closest thing they have to labels for me at this time.  Especially since some of the docs knew of my genetic makeup in the first place? (Meaning they would have reason to look for it).

Nature is a mystery...
  •  

echo7

There are so many unknowns when it comes to long term healthcare for transgender women. This article is a stark reminder of that reality. Every day is a gift when you're transitioned, I guess. I'll be happy if I make it to 80 like the trans woman in the study.
  •  

Chloe

The incidence rate among TS is very rare. My father died of prostate cancer in 2010, was told I was "high risk", and after putting him through the absolute mill with different ineffective "treatment & procedures" I discovered they never gave him bicalutamide which was relatively new in 1998. One study states:

"a (1/5th) daily dose of bicalutamide has equivalent efficacy to a corresponding flutamide  . . . (and) is considered to provide equivalent survival outcome compared with castration in patients . . . (with) the benefits of a better quality of life and better palliation combination regimen. Treatment with the bicalutamide combination regimen resulted in a longer median survival than with the flutamide combination regimen"

Combining THAT with the only positive side effects of bicalutamide (not to mention long half-life which makes healthy low dosing almost just as inexpensive as "spironolactone") I get very frustrated with the prejudice that our scripting doctors and certain members here seem to have against it. Having also had personal experience with a former member here that had an orchidectomy I know which has better outcome, is the more effective choice!!

But then again, everyone is different, results may vary??
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

TinaVane

Why they don't remove that ish or does it give us a benefit (even if post op) ?

C'est Si Bon
  •  

Doreen

Quote from: TinaVane on January 29, 2018, 01:06:39 PM
Why they don't remove that ish or does it give us a benefit (even if post op) ?

From what I understand the rationale is its used to help lubricate the vaginal canal during intercourse... cis born females have an analogous (similar) gland that functions much the same.  Plus its a very blood rich gland, meaning there are more risks of complications with a prostatectomy.
  •  

Dena

The prostate is still involved in sexual sensation even after surgery. In addition, it's difficult to remove with affecting your ability to control your urine flow. Unless it's a problem, it's better just to leave it alone. I recently had my PSA checked and the reading was <0.1 ng/mL so after surgery it's possible for it to just shut down.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

AnneK

Quote from: Doreen on January 29, 2018, 12:20:31 AM
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3758950/

My take on that article is that it's extremely rare, with the first line of the abstract stating:
QuoteThe incidence of prostate cancer in transsexual patients is very low with only few reported cases.

So, relax.  It's a far lower risk than a CIS male.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

TinaVane

Quote from: AnneK on January 29, 2018, 04:48:32 PM
My take on that article is that it's extremely rare, with the first line of the abstract stating:
So, relax.  It's a far lower risk than a CIS male.
I doubt if she was trying to cause fear but instead start a discussion

C'est Si Bon
  •  

Doreen

Quote from: TinaVane on January 30, 2018, 10:05:05 AM
I doubt if she was trying to cause fear but instead start a discussion

I believe in being aware of risks.  I am not trying to discourage anyone from anything.   But it is something to have floating around in the back of your consciousness. 
  •  

TinaVane

Quote from: Doreen on January 30, 2018, 11:18:16 PM
I believe in being aware of risks.  I am not trying to discourage anyone from anything.   But it is something to have floating around in the back of your consciousness.
Thanks for the article sis

C'est Si Bon
  •  

Joelene9

My PSA was 5.8 before going on HRT. It went down to around 1 on HRT for nearly 6 years. I've been off HRT for 17 months, the T level is at a normal of 550 for my age and the PSA shot up to 6.8. The cancer DNA test showed the lowest chance (2%) of a Gleason of 6. Still the PSA rose and they did an MRI. The MRI showed a lesion of 1.6 cm and the highest probability of a Gleason of 5 or above (95%). So they did a biopsy. I got the results 2 weeks ago. No sign of cancer from each of the 8 samples in the lesion but shows a light tissue color (good) and inflammation. This was suspected before. My younger brother got the cancer and eventually got it removed. We may both have been exposed to DES in our mother's womb.
  PSA is a crude test. The cancer DNA is a urine sample after the doctor massages the prostate for a couple of seconds to loosen prostate cells to the urethra. This type of DNA test has about a 5% rating of false positives and negatives. But the doctor wanted to make sure. However, prostatitis has no known treatment as it is less than 1% of suspected cancer cases. Like DES, the evidence and treatment is anecdotal beyond that caused by infection. No sign of infection either here. Lower salt and spicy food intake is about the only treatment found. Pelvic pain is a symptom as well evidenced by just snuggling with my girlfriend.
  Take care.

Joelene
  •  

Doreen

Quote from: Joelene9 on January 31, 2018, 12:22:34 AM
  My PSA was 5.8 before going on HRT. It went down to around 1 on HRT for nearly 6 years. I've been off HRT for 17 months, the T level is at a normal of 550 for my age and the PSA shot up to 6.8. The cancer DNA test showed the lowest chance (2%) of a Gleason of 6. Still the PSA rose and they did an MRI. The MRI showed a lesion of 1.6 cm and the highest probability of a Gleason of 5 or above (95%). So they did a biopsy. I got the results 2 weeks ago. No sign of cancer from each of the 8 samples in the lesion but shows a light tissue color (good) and inflammation. This was suspected before. My younger brother got the cancer and eventually got it removed. We may both have been exposed to DES in our mother's womb.
  PSA is a crude test. The cancer DNA is a urine sample after the doctor massages the prostate for a couple of seconds to loosen prostate cells to the urethra. This type of DNA test has about a 5% rating of false positives and negatives. But the doctor wanted to make sure. However, prostatitis has no known treatment as it is less than 1% of suspected cancer cases. Like DES, the evidence and treatment is anecdotal beyond that caused by infection. No sign of infection either here. Lower salt and spicy food intake is about the only treatment found. Pelvic pain is a symptom as well evidenced by just snuggling with my girlfriend.
  Take care.

Joelene

Interesting experiences, and thanks for sharing your story.  My psa did come back negative.  Don't think we have any history of prostate issues in the male side of the family either.. or they simply haven't informed me (also not out of the question).   I'm still pretty convinced that after all the scanning, imaging, tests, etc... *someone* would've pointed out the existence of a prostate.  I've looked pretty thoroughly at all of the imaging myself, and nothing remotely resembling that exists. (The prostate surrounds the urethra, and is fairly well identifiable).  I do have a suspicious rather large organ located under the bladder that the mri doc theorized might be prostatic in nature (though in the wrong place for it, and certainly has no urethra going through it.)  If I did have a prostate and it was that big, surely that would've been a sign of BPH (as its even larger than BPH prostates are).   

Eh, anyways, my silly story that I relay all too often.   I do hope that you can see some positive results from HRT in dealing with that issue.   It wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn of DES exposure either.. I suspect birth control and hormonal 'help' was used in shame by a lot of women back then, and they'd go to their graves before admitting they used it.
  •  

Gail20

My father died of Prostate Cancer and 3 of my 4 brother have been treated for it.

I've been on HRT for 17 years. My 80+ year old proctologist retired recently but I saw him shortly before that,  He had an intern in his office when he examined my Prostate.  He said, "that's the smallest, smoothest Prostate I've ever felt".  He then asked the young lady intern to feel it too.

HRT really made a big difference for me. Before HRT my PSA was over 3 and I had a biopsy once. Since HRT my PSA has gone down to below 1. . .  I believe it kept me from getting Prostate Cancer . . . .
"friends speak for you when you can't speak for yourself" :)
  •  

Doreen

Quote from: Gail20 on January 31, 2018, 07:34:42 PM
My father died of Prostate Cancer and 3 of my 4 brother have been treated for it.

I've been on HRT for 17 years. My 80+ year old proctologist retired recently but I saw him shortly before that,  He had an intern in his office when he examined my Prostate.  He said, "that's the smallest, smoothest Prostate I've ever felt".  He then asked the young lady intern to feel it too.

HRT really made a big difference for me. Before HRT my PSA was over 3 and I had a biopsy once. Since HRT my PSA has gone down to below 1. . .  I believe it kept me from getting Prostate Cancer . . . .

So glad it worked for you... I do know sometimes estrogen therapy is used to combat prostate cancer too.. or at the very least anti-androgens.  You're just getting extra 'fringe' benefits :D
  •