Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Am I jumping in too fast?

Started by AJ3721, February 04, 2018, 09:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ3721

So I've had random feelings of dysphoria on and off my whole life but never really knew what they were. I literally figured out this whole transgender thing a week ago and it all clicked. I was like, Yes! This is me! I've been glued to my computer researching everything. (I can be a little obsessive.) Now I've ordered a binder, am in the process of picking out an stp packer. I want T and top surgery like now. I'm completely planning out my future. Is this normal? Should I slow my roll? I'm just so excited.
  •  

The Flying Lemur

There's no harm in using a binder or stp if they make you happy and you can afford them.  Assuming you bind safely, the effects are completely reversible if you change your mind.  My advice is to get a good gender therapist before you start anything that will cause irreversible changes, though.  The therapist will be a non-judgmental person who can answer your questions and smooth the path toward hormones and surgery, if that's what you want.  It's great that you're happy and excited!
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. --Joseph Campbell
  •  

Elis

It'd completely normal :). Once people realise they're trans the dysphoria often worsens and of course it's only natural for you to finally sort out what was bothering you all these years.

For me my stp made my bottom dysphoria worse but it felt awesome using it. If you want a cheap basic one; the Mr limpy with a funnel attachment worked great. From Tranzwear

Wish you the best :)
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

TK9NY

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being excited! It's a HUGE deal to finally find the answers to something that has been bugging you your whole life. I was over the moon when i found out that my own feelings of being disconnected from my female body where a "thing" (i wasn't just crazy)... and that it was possible to transition from one gender to another. I remember thinking to myself: "jackpot!"

I did a TON of research and I was like you, ready to transition ASAP and mapping out how i wanted things to go. Didn't work that way for me - family issues resulted in me giving up for several years before finally taking that step back into the battle - but don't let that discourage YOU. We all do things on our own timetable, at our own pace. If you push for it, you might be in therapy and on T within the year.

Now is the time to explore yourself, as you're doing your research. Binding, packing... cutting your hair, changing your clothes.... masculinizing yourself.... trying out different names or pronouns.... all can be done easily enough without therapy or any outside influence/assistance, it can help you find yourself, and it's all reversible if you find that transitioning isn't the right path. I was binding the moment i figured out i could, and not having a noticeable chest made me feel SO much less dysphoric and so much more confident in myself.....

You don't have to decide on hormones or surgery or legally changing your name just yet, but at the same time there is nothing wrong with planning these things either. Continue doing your research on all of that. Feel out if or what is right for you. Keep in mind that some people opt not to do hormones or surgery, some go all the way - there is no set way you have to transition! Again - this is the time to explore!

My only word of warning is not to expect to get it all done quickly - it's a long process, it will take time. But IMO that's part of the fun - i'm five months on T and i wake up everyday wondering what changes i'll notice. Sometimes there is nothing, sometimes i notice my voice is deeper or i have more hair on my chin. I'm enjoying the lead up to the major events (i've been waiting so long, what's a little bit longer, and it's actually HAPPENING so yeah.)

I recommend starting with a gender therapist, as you're doing this exploring. While it is possible to get hormones via informed consent, you won't get surgery without a referral from a gender therapist, and a therapist is going to be you biggest tool in your transition from the start. They will be able to help you find yourself, judgement free, and will help make sure your transition is as smooth as possible. There are many things that will change as you transition - not just physically, but mentally and socially as well. It's more than taking T and changing how you look - you will be viewed differently as a male, you will have to deal with friends and family as they come to terms with your change, and may have to deal with co-workers and bosses finding out or transitioning along with you.

It's a huge step, transitioning, but if you feel it's right for you then go for it. Good luck!

•