Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Can hormone levels change psychosomatically?

Started by Jenny94, February 06, 2018, 09:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenny94

Hi guys. So I'm not on hormones yet, but a few months ago I checked my hormone levels, and my oestrogen is well outside the male range and in the low female range. (T, sadly, is also high.) Since then, I've been feeling a lot more of the emotional stuff associated with oestrogen: mood swings, high emotion, wanting to cry a lot at random stuff......and I wonder if my body is producing more oestrogen, somehow in response to my brain saying "We want to be a girl now"? I'm going to check my levels again in a few days, so I guess I'll know then. Could this just be a powerful placebo effect? It'd be great to hear of any similar experiences from people in either direction.

(Also, I hope I've used the ps-word in the title correctly...?)
"Now I'm dancing with Delilah and her vision is mine" - Florence and the Machine.
  •  

Deborah

Before I started HRT my levels were like yours.  One possibility is that with higher T, some of the T is being converted to estrogen.  That is a natural process and is the reason that bodybuilders on high doses of anabolic steroids develop female nipples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Kylo

In general hormones affect mood which then positive loops back into how mood affects hormones. Mood can affect cortisol which then directly affects estrogen among other things.

I know before I began HRT, things began to change subtly for me without any external input. Not a lot, it didn't affect blood levels, but I had already started instinctively to think differently about myself and certain things. Which I know was not completely intentional.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

xAmyX

A lot of factors tally into hormone production alterations. Something as simple as exposing your scrotum to the sun can dramatically increase testosterone levels for example. Then there's the spike of testosterone release around the seventh day after experiencing an orgasm, so long as no orgasms are experienced within that window. Our diet plays a huge factor as well. Even mood. If you can find ways to benefit from these occurrences in a way that suits your needs, you should still seek treatment from a medical professional if having ovulatory peak natal female hormone levels is what you desire to feel whole. All the black tea in the world to suppress DHT conversion, phytoestrogens from plant sources etc... will not do if you want to be endocrinologically female. There are two ways; usually, to make this happen. Informed Consent is potentially the quickest method if you're already well versed in your understanding of the WPATH - Standards of Care. The next option is to get a letter of recommendation for Hormone Therapy from a qualified Therapist. Self medicating could be an option, but has high risks associated with it, and is usually not recommended for good reasons.

Kylo

Yeah that's true, I found out not long ago that intermittent fasting also makes testosterone naturally shoot up (in men and women. Probably not in those on HRT who aren't producing their own but in most people)
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Dani

Quote from: Jenny94 on February 06, 2018, 09:59:23 AM
....and I wonder if my body is producing more oestrogen, somehow in response to my brain saying "We want to be a girl now"? I'm going to check my levels again in a few days, so I guess I'll know then. Could this just be a powerful placebo effect?

In one word, no. Hormones will definitely affect our psyche, but not the other way around.

Many of us have wished that we would wake up one day and be our correct gender, but it did not happen for me. I had to take deliberate steps to transition into the person I am now. Once I was on Estradiol, I felt so much better about myself, that I knew my new feelings were definitely not a placebo effect, but an actual alignment of my physical body with my self identity.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Dani on February 10, 2018, 08:05:45 PM
In one word, no. Hormones will definitely affect our psyche, but not the other way around.

Many of us have wished that we would wake up one day and be our correct gender, but it did not happen for me. I had to take deliberate steps to transition into the person I am now. Once I was on Estradiol, I felt so much better about myself, that I knew my new feelings were definitely not a placebo effect, but an actual alignment of my physical body with my self identity.

@ Dani:  I tend to agree with your reply post however the mind is a powerful thing and in double-blind drug testing sometimes results are found even with the placebo medicines.... but as you said, many of us have wished that our gender would magically changed without pharmaceutical intervention... and it never happens, at least to you and me it didn't happen.

@ Jenny94:  Your original posting is filled with your thoughts of transitioning.  You are young and your profile picture is very nice...  the clock is ticking, if you feel that you want to transition you should see a doctor and/or therapist soon so you can make an informed and intelligent decision.
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •