Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Most trans friendly employers

Started by Robbyv213, Today at 11:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbyv213

I wanted to start a list that I hope everyone will contribute to for the most transgender friendly employers.

I have not come.out yet, and I know that once I do I will.most.likely.not be able to continue to work at my current job. I am a Mercedes Benz mechanic, and it is a very masculine environment, and from working here for 2 and a half years I feel I know where everyone stands when it comes to the topic of transgender people. I could be wrong and they could all be great, but I doubt it...

Anyways I wanted to try and get a list going of employers that seem to be the best or most trans friendly. Also any jobs in general that are great for trans people or that we typically gravitate towards. Thank you in advance
  •  

Robbyv213

This is a list from 2022 for most LGBTQ+ friendly employers. Not sure how it has changed in the last year or so

https://www.hrc.org/resources/best-places-to-work-for-lgbtq-equality-2022
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

LoriDee

I have heard good things about Lowe's Home Improvement stores from people who work there.

We have some members here who are/were auto mechanics. My ex-wife was one. It isn't about the job, but the employer environment.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - Legal Name Change /
2024 - Voice Training
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Robbyv213

Robbyv213

Yes I agree the environment will be everything, and I feel that it's hard enough for women in general in the work place yet alone to be trans.

Right now I feel that it would be best to start fresh once I get to a point In transition that I can no longer present as male.
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Robbyv213 on Today at 11:06:21 AMI wanted to start a list that I hope everyone will contribute to for the most transgender friendly employers.

I have not come.out yet, and I know that once I do I will.most.likely.not be able to continue to work at my current job. I am a Mercedes Benz mechanic, and it is a very masculine environment, and from working here for 2 and a half years I feel I know where everyone stands when it comes to the topic of transgender people. I could be wrong and they could all be great, but I doubt it...

Anyways I wanted to try and get a list going of employers that seem to be the best or most trans friendly. Also any jobs in general that are great for trans people or that we typically gravitate towards. Thank you in advance

I worked for a defense contractor building control systems for these, and other military systems.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADM-160_MALD

I doubt Mercedes is a more masculine environment. I  transitioned on the job and everything was fine...because I wouldn't have accepted it NOT being fine.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Robbyv213

Devlyn that's awesome. I also used to work for bae systems working as a field service rep contractor and then at one of their assembly factories in pa. I would agree that those defense contracts are way more of a masculine environment.

A part of would would like to give them a chance and see how things are afterwards. The other half of me doesn't, and would rather just leave quickly and start somewhere new and fresh where the people their would only ever know me as female vs having built 2.5 years or more (depending on when I start to transition) of being male and then get to a point where there is no denying it that I am transitioning and expect to be treated as a woman.

I can see it being a mixed bag. Some will be good, others will prob be in willing to change and it is what it is.

I feel like it would almost be easier to fake my own death and start new then it would be to stay with the same job trying to transition. Granted I know that's why there is a hr department and their are laws to protect us, but I realistically don't see it going over all that well.
  •  

Devlyn

I worked with some BAE guys on the Observation Island during a refit in San Diego. Small world...and  a big company!  ;D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Observation_Island

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Jessica_K

Before the takeover my company was one of the best. I think the current company is just as good, but as stealth I do not know personally. I am now on the equality stats as a female STEM employee lol.

The company and parent company are Italian.
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

•  

Robbyv213

Devlyn- Yes. I worked on a newer platform for the Marine Corps. The new acv which was my main job as a fsr in camp Pendleton ca, and then I was a tester and fixer for the acv, aav, ampv, Hercules, and the army's old track vehicle the Bradley at the factory in York pa. It was a fun job, but long hours, heavy work.
  •