Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

My doctor says I need to drink more wine

Started by TonyaW, February 15, 2018, 07:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyaW

Ok, not really, but you can twist the logic there. 

Had my one year check up.  Blood test all csme back really good except LDL cholesterol a little high.  Never had that before.

Here's where the more wine fits in.  She suggested a Mediterranean diet, which can include red wine, up to two glasses a day I think, which is more than I usually drink.  So following the logic, drink more wine. 

Generally though,  looks like a diet I can handle, except I really don't like fish.  I'm sure the heavily beer battered and deep fried Friday night fish fry version is not what they have in mind. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•  

Jin

I wish my Dr. would give me a prescription for wine! And if my insurance would cover it...

The Med diet is great, we do not follow it exclusively though. Fish can be horrid if not prepared right, heavenly if it is right!
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.
-- Popeye

A wise person can learn more from fools than a fool can learn from a wise person.
  •  

AnneK

I'll drink to that!   ;)

Actually, the benefits of red wine have been known for years.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Laurie

Dang I couldn't use the Mediterranean diet then. The foils of alcohol are well known to me and after 19 years I don't think imbibing again would be a good idea. But feel free to enjoy it yourself.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

AnneK

Quote from: Laurie on February 15, 2018, 11:05:03 AM
   Dang I couldn't use the Mediterranean diet then. The foils of alcohol are well known to me and after 19 years I don't think imbibing again would be a good idea. But feel free to enjoy it yourself.

Dark chocolate is also good for you.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Deborah

Another thing you can do is raise your HDL cholesterol to counteract the LDL.  I managed to raise mine up to almost 100 (94) last year by changing my diet and exercising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

TonyaW

My HDL is high and my total is ok.  I've had in past where HDL has been high enough to make total higher than recommended while the LDL was in range.

The Med diet does say it's ok to not add the wine if you don't drink alcohol.  I believe  it's a recommendation to switch to moderate amounts of red wines if you do drink.

I believe I can substitute more poultry and vegetarian dishes for the fish.  Think I'm going to add fish oil supplement to my pile of pills.

•  

TonyaW

Quote from: AnneK on February 15, 2018, 11:32:57 AM
Dark chocolate is also good for you.
Dark chocolate and pinot noir are an awesome combo

•  

barbie

I have drunken a bottle of red wine everyday during the past one year, and now I think I should reduce it as my blood pressure has increased. I exercise regularly and no problem in the liver check-up.

As most of wines are imported ones here, I suspect they contain some preservative chemicals, which may be not good in the long term. I guess local wines without any additive would be better if they are available.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Dena

Quote from: barbie on February 15, 2018, 02:41:26 PM
As most of wines are imported ones here, I suspect they contain some preservative chemicals, which may be not good in the long term. I guess local wines without any additive would be better if they are available.

barbie~~
Almost all wine contains some preservative unless you haven't bottled it yet. The preservative stops the fermentation process and prevents nasties from destroying the wine. Normally they use potassium metabisulfite and the label should indicate sulfites on it as some people have problems with them. It is possible to filter out the bacteria but it's far more common just to add the sulfites.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: TonyaW on February 15, 2018, 07:43:58 AM
Ok, not really, but you can twist the logic there. 

Had my one year check up.  Blood test all csme back really good except LDL cholesterol a little high.  Never had that before.

Here's where the more wine fits in.  She suggested a Mediterranean diet, which can include red wine, up to two glasses a day I think, which is more than I usually drink.  So following the logic, drink more wine. 

Generally though,  looks like a diet I can handle, except I really don't like fish.  I'm sure the heavily beer battered and deep fried Friday night fish fry version is not what they have in mind. 

The Mediterranean diet would be a wonderful thing if it were true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: Gertrude on February 15, 2018, 10:32:10 PM
The Mediterranean diet would be a wonderful thing if it were true.

I don't know that I understand what you mean by not true.

•  

Jennifer.Diamonds

Lucky you! So how many bottles of wine would you need to buy.. I get about 3 glasses per bottle, so I would need like 5 bottles a week plus one to have a good time on the weekend.. Sounds like healthy fun ;)
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: Jennifer.Diamonds on February 16, 2018, 05:36:07 AM
Lucky you! So how many bottles of wine would you need to buy.. I get about 3 glasses per bottle, so I would need like 5 bottles a week plus one to have a good time on the weekend.. Sounds like healthy fun ;)
Don't think the wine is a requirement and I know you're not allowed to save it up for the weekend. 
So how much to buy though....
Most bottles are 750ml.  A glass I think is usually considered 6 oz or about 180ml.  That would mean a bottle would give 4 good sized glasses or 5 skimpy glasses. 

•  

barbie

Quote from: Dena on February 15, 2018, 04:25:06 PM
Almost all wine contains some preservative unless you haven't bottled it yet. The preservative stops the fermentation process and prevents nasties from destroying the wine. Normally they use potassium metabisulfite and the label should indicate sulfites on it as some people have problems with them. It is possible to filter out the bacteria but it's far more common just to add the sulfites.

Dena, thanks for the info.

http://winemakersacademy.com/potassium-metabisulfite-wine/

My friend once said to me that opening the wine bottle for about 10 min before drinking will greatly reduce the sulfite, simply by evaporation. It sounded plausible.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

TonyaW

So as fate would have it, World Market sends me an email that their half case member discount is 30% at the moment.  That was on top of usual sale prices so came out to about 40% of full price.  Not a bad haul for $58, especially when I splurged on one bottle which was still $17 after discounts.

•  

ChrissyRyan

Does your doctor own a winery?   :)

That store I hear has some good deals from time to time.  On furntiure, food, and imported items also.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: TonyaW on February 15, 2018, 11:02:01 PM
I don't know that I understand what you mean by not true.

Basically the Mediterranean diet was based on post WWII diet in Southern Europe when there was scarcity. The real diet is more akin to the French. A lot more fat, wine yes, but not as heavy with grain and carbs as we're led to believe. Fat doesn't make one fat. Too many calories do as does too many carbs, which cause inflammation as does vegetable based oils, of which olive oil isn't.

•  

barbie

Quote from: TonyaW on February 17, 2018, 09:42:49 AM
So as fate would have it, World Market sends me an email that their half case member discount is 30% at the moment.  That was on top of usual sale prices so came out to about 40% of full price.  Not a bad haul for $58, especially when I splurged on one bottle which was still $17 after discounts.

Yes. Casillero del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon is my favorite one. A 2-year old bottle usually costs about US$13 or less here. No headache when waking up in the morning. Any product from Diablo is nice. Probably I drink at least 50 bottles of Diablo every year  :D

Any 2-year old Malbek from Argentina is also nice to my taste.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: Gertrude on February 17, 2018, 11:23:29 AM
Basically the Mediterranean diet was based on post WWII diet in Southern Europe when there was scarcity. The real diet is more akin to the French. A lot more fat, wine yes, but not as heavy with grain and carbs as we're led to believe. Fat doesn't make one fat. Too many calories do as does too many carbs, which cause inflammation as does vegetable based oils, of which olive oil isn't.

Ok I get that.  She suggested it to me as a cholesterol controlling approach as my LDL was slightly elevated this last blood test.  I do know that to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you take in no matter what type of diet.  I've had some success with a lower red meat diet in the past. 

As far as the wine goes, I do drink it some and prefer the dry reds.  Just thought I would put a mildly amusing spin on it since  the Med diet does include red wine if you so desire.  It was also a triple coincidence that I got the email coupon at the same time that she suggested the diet and I had recently finished my last bottle.

•