Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Top Surgery Anxiety

Started by Emilatron, February 17, 2018, 02:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emilatron

Hello SPF folks. I'm a 22-year-old trans guy, 2 years+ on T, and my top surgery is in *drumroll* three days.

I've been bouncing between being incredibly ecstatic and horrible anxious since I finally got my surgery date. Let it be known that my anxiety does not have to do with the surgery itself... I've been ready for five years, and I am not shy about being poked, prodded, and cut into. (lol)

What I'm worrying about is being denied surgery on the very day of it for any reason. I have a constant paranoid anxiety that any time something good is about to happen, something will swoop in at the last second and take it away.

It's based on something though. Obviously, you aren't supposed to smoke nicotine or cannabis at least two weeks prior to surgery which is what my doctor advised me; I've smoked both. Though I have cut down quite a lot after being an all-day every-day vaper/smoker, whereas for the past two weeks I would only vape/smoke once for a short time at night.

Will they check my urine? It'll definitely still be detectable. Will they refuse to operate on me then because of the healing issues it could present? Will they do it if I take full responsibility and tell them to do it anyway?

These thoughts have just been dogging me constantly this past month.  There are so few resources on this wildly specific subject.

I suppose I'm wondering... what are the possible reasons one might be denied surgery ON surgery day? And if anyone has experience with this kind of thing, please share.

Love and appreciation to anyone willing to ease my troubled mind.  :'(

"There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin
  •  

Elis

No experience of being denied surgery. But possible reasons will be things like you telling them you smoked recently or you're deemed unhealthy- either blood pressure is too high or if you have a really bad cold/flu.  They're only looking out for you. The surgeon wouldn't want you to have healing issues because of the smoking which could be quite serious and you can't be anethecised or have the oxygen mask on if you're coughing/sneezing.

For the pre op appointment they did check my blood pressure and had to take a blood and urine sample and that was 2 weeks before surgery.
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

kitchentablepotpourri

Sorry you are having these fears, and I understand how much this surgery means to you, but for your own safety you really need to advise your surgeon that you have smoked; he or she may or may not cancel your surgery, but general anesthesia is nothing to mess around with.
  •  

Laurie

Hi Emil,

I am Laurie. I'm sorry but you find no sympathy here. I think you should be honest for a couple of reasons. First is that the doctor gave you specific instructions about smoking. There was a good reason for those instructions and not following them could have consequences including having to reschedule your appointment and perhaps then you will understand where you went wrong by not following them. As bad as that consequence may be it could pale if something failed to go according to plan during or after the operation because of your smoking. Surgery is serious business and not to be taken lightly. I cannot understand myself why you would not follow the doctor's instructions known that it could cause complications especially if this top surgery is so important to you. To me and likely the doctor it is irresponsible. What other instructions did you not or might not follow, is what would me going through my mind if I was your doctor.
  That said, Hun, if you do get your operation I wish you a safe one and a good recovery and much joy afterwards.

Hugs,
   Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Emilatron

Quote from: Laurie on February 17, 2018, 02:35:09 PM
Hi Emil,

I am Laurie. I'm sorry but you find no sympathy here. I think you should be honest for a couple of reasons. First is that the doctor gave you specific instructions about smoking. There was a good reason for those instructions and not following them could have consequences including having to reschedule your appointment and perhaps then you will understand where you went wrong by not following them. As bad as that consequence may be it could pale if something failed to go according to plan during or after the operation because of your smoking. Surgery is serious business and not to be taken lightly. I cannot understand myself why you would not follow the doctor's instructions known that it could cause complications especially if this top surgery is so important to you. To me and likely the doctor it is irresponsible. What other instructions did you not or might not follow, is what would me going through my mind if I was your doctor.
  That said, Hun, if you do get your operation I wish you a safe one and a good recovery and much joy afterwards.

Hugs,
   Laurie

... You've never been an addict have you?

Anyway, thanks for driving my anxiety through the gd roof, as if it wasn't destroying me already. So understanding you are.
"There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Emilatron on February 17, 2018, 04:47:26 PM
... You've never been an addict have you?

Anyway, thanks for driving my anxiety through the gd roof, as if it wasn't destroying me already. So understanding you are.

Emil,

I am sorry my response upset you. That was not my intention, however I see that it has and therefore I apologize to you for doing so. I will not dwell upon it further.
   To answer your question though. I did abuse drugs and at one point was basing my own rocks an eight ball at a time. It has been 24 years or so since  stopping. I was also an alcoholic and am now 19 years w/o it. It has only been 17 1/2 years since I was a pack and a half a day cigarette smoker. So I think I can answer the question of ever having been an addict with a simple yes.
  Stopping those kinds of things is not easy and hope you can find the inner strength and help needed to do so yourself someday.
  Our problems can indeed be overwhelming to the point where we seek methods of escaping them. I am no different and need help in dealing with my own issues. That is why I came to this site. To get support and help. That is why I talk to my therapist. Still somethings get to you and it seems the costs, hurt and pain is just too much to handle. That is and you just want it all to end. I was at that point only several weeks ago and that is why I am now on an antidepressant without which I might not be here today to apologize to you. There is help here and out there for you. All you need to do is ask for it.

Hugs,
  Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis