Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Beard Removal 100-300Hrs=12k USD OR Full Electrologist Cert + Machine = 12k USD

Started by Asakawa, March 10, 2018, 09:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asakawa

Hi All,

I was looking at AIE electrolysis school in California Irvine and noticed their full cert program for CA based people costs a little under 9K and the machines they suggest, which are the ones they use, cost between 2.5k to 5.5k.

I read online that full beard removal takes about 100 to 300 Hrs and the average price for electro work is 60 USD give or take. If I go for a medium of 200 hrs x 60 usd that is 12,000k used for beard removal alone.

That is about the same amount of money I'd pay if I were to go to AIE and do their full cert electrologist program and get a medium price ranged, brand new machine. Plus, I guess, I'd have a nice job? and the students seem to work on each other as they earn their hours, which is like free electrolysis work while studying; more savings?

QuoteIf you interested in becoming an electrologist in California, the "Golden State" is what we refer to as a licensed state, which means it regulates the practice of electrology through licensing. The state of California requires that electrology students complete 600 hours of training before being allowed to sit for the state electrology licensing exam.

Our licensing program for California is delivered in two modules. All theory can be completed online and constitutes 45% of the curriculum or 272 hours, while the hands-on practical training is done in-school and is 55% of the curriculum or 328 hours. Theory and practical training modules may be taken separately or together.

So since they required 328 hours of hands on training and students can work on each other that is a possible free 328 hours of electrolysis work on yourself? 328x60(USD)=19,680 usd possible (IN THEORY) savings of electrolysis work on yourself? While studying? Which in terms of value is more than the price of full cert & brand new electro machine and almost the full price of beard removal on top of that?

So, if full beard removal is about 12k and that is just beard with out taking costs for other body areas... why exactly wouldn't I just want to pay the same amount (12k) for full cert + a brand new electrolysis machine and some free electrolysis work on myself?

Plus a nice job that pays you $60/hr for your work?

???

What am I missing here?
  •  

VeronicaLynn

It could be a somewhat tedious job. I'm also not sure just anyone can do it, you need a steady hand and good vision. You would have plenty of work though, judging on how things are at the place I go to.

•  

Kendra

This is an interesting, creative idea and I'm surprised more haven't done this.  If you run into a barrier to something you need for transition, instead of stopping at the barrier consider if there are ways around it. 

The equipment my electrologist uses cost more than $10,000 USD 4 years ago (not including supplies) and she just replaced it with the newest version which cost even more.  But I don't want to scare you off - that's the cost for high-end thermo-electrolosys equipment and is more than the minimum necessary.  My understanding is expensive equipment has a faster and more controllable voltage spike, with the goal of killing the follicle before the brain has time to completely register what just happened (the ouch part).  As electronics are continuously improved, I imagine it's quite possible to gain similar results from lower cost hardware. 

Although a student learning while doing electrolysis on you might sound a bit scary, I think that's better than some electrolysis outfits I have heard of with high employee turnover.  Dentists go through a similar process - my dentist told me about learning to do dental injections on another student, and then it was their turn.  Don't pick the lab partner with shaky hands...

As for the hourly rate, keep in mind not all of that money ends up in the hands of the operator even if they own the business.  Taxes, liability insurance, professional licenses, supplies, communications costs, and the time required to manage an office or pay someone to take care of it adds up.  The precision tweezers my electrologist uses cost $40 USD each, require ultrasonic cleaning (that's additional supplies and equipment), and need to be discarded once they are dull or bent.  The electrolysis needle/probe is another consumable cost to factor. 

But I still think you have an interesting idea.

Kendra
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Asakawa

What you are saying about the high-end high tech cost machine sounds a lot like what they are saying here for their suggested high tech Evolution 5 HD epilator:

http://www.aielectrology.com/electrolysis-reimagined.shtml

QuoteSo, how is this accomplished? Tap your foot pedal and signals are sent in 2 / 1000ths of a second, the fastest output in the industry. When combined with a lower and very stable 6.78 MHz wavelength you have great efficiency and accuracy. The speed of the Evolution is calibrated to get very close to the pain threshold without ever crossing it. There is complete control of the output. This is a good example of "less is more".

And from the Silhouet-tone manufacturer website:

QuoteIn 2013, with the arrival of the Evolution 5HD by Silhouet-Tone, maximum efficiency and ultimate comfort were combined and introduced to the world. In fact, the decision to go back to a low frequency of MHz was made to assure optimum efficiency and comfort. Vector modulations are the fastest on the market at 2/1000 of a second. They optimize energy transfer thanks to greater wavelength accuracy and stability. We can therefore get as close as we possibly can to the pain threshold, without ever reaching it, while maximizing the energy that is being delivered.

Seems to be a relatively new-ish machine. I could only find one thread in hairtell forum on the evolution 5hd and it was this one:

http://www.hairtell.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/111825/Re_Uses_sequentium_VMC_is_too_.html

It's half the price of the expensive ones. I don't know anything about the epilators, but it does sound nice and I guess if the school is using it with their students then it should be somewhat good.  I'd want something like that if I could afford it.

The school has a nice pay-as-you-go plan that is interest-free for up to 18 months and no credit check needed if you use pay direct. The other one is 24 months, but does require a credit check. The first with tuition comes out as 500 usd per month which I don't think is bad at all and the other comes out as 375. All in all nice payment options specially the first one. They also offer scholarships to licensed Aestheticians, Cosmetologists and Nail Techs and also consider all nurses, R N, LVN and Nursing Assistants. My mom is/was a nurse assistant and I mentioned it to her, but she is not interested AT ALL lol....

Are you a licensed Aesthetician? If so you might qualify for their scholarship!

I actually never thought of how much electrologist spend on consumables and such and how much they take home per person over all. I have read that if you do genital work that your hourly pay can go as high as $130/hr which is a lot!

•  

KathyLauren

Interesting idea, and perhaps a good career opportunity.  But you can't do your own face, so you'd have to spend another $12K getting someone else to do yours.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •