Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Man charged with hate crime in cold-case slaying of Native American *Triggers*

Started by RoryL, February 13, 2018, 02:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoryL

Man charged with hate crime in cold-case slaying of Native American
https://www.abqjournal.com/1133165/suspect-indicted-in-cold-case-slaying-of-navajo-woman.html
Elise Kaplan / Albuquerque Journal Staff Writer, February 13, 2018

"ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Eight and a half years after Cato "Terri" Benally was found beaten and left for dead near Roosevelt Park in southeast Albuquerque, detectives have made an arrest in the case, charging the suspect with a hate crime.

Officer Simon Drobik, a spokesman for the Albuquerque Police Department, said Benally was Native American. She was transgender and identified as female."

-------------------
I did not know Terri personally, but remember when it happened because it was right across the street from where my best friend was living at the time; he knew her. Though the television media in Albuquerque has been misgendering her in their reports, the Journal did not.
"I will not have my life narrowed down. I will not bow down to somebody else's whim or to someone else's ignorance" - bell hooks

"The best mind-altering drug is the truth." - Lily Tomlin

•  

RoryL

Sad follow-up to the original post  :icon_cry:

Police: Bodies found in Stanley are those of missing ABQ roommates
https://www.abqjournal.com/1138956?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook
Elsie Kaplan / Albuquerque Journal Staff Writer, February 27, 2018

"ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Police have identified two bodies found dumped in rural Santa Fe County last week as roommates who had been reported missing from Albuquerque, and were presumed killed, at the end of January.

Eugene Carrell Ray, 70, and Zakaria Fry, 28, were last seen or heard from on Jan. 18. They were reported missing after Ray's family members found their house in disarray on Jan. 29.

Fry, who is a transgender woman, had been renting a room from Ray in his Northeast Albuquerque home."
"I will not have my life narrowed down. I will not bow down to somebody else's whim or to someone else's ignorance" - bell hooks

"The best mind-altering drug is the truth." - Lily Tomlin

•