Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

VFSRAC (VFS) with Dr. Kim at Yeson Voice Center

Started by Kendra, February 27, 2018, 07:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p

Kendra, this thread is beyond amazing--truly a wonderful resource for those of us seeking more knowledge about this procedure. I hope you are feeling great! Eat some delicious Korean food for me!!! I think I am the most jealous that you get to eat Korean food, hubby and I were just mentioning last night after watching Let's Eat 2 that we need to plan a trip.
Patti

Something is off - 2016-17
Out to husband - 2/14/17
Full-time - 3/9/17
HRT - 6/14/17
  •  

Saha

Now now Laurie.

We are not looking forward to a month of silence, seems like a long time!
  •  

Michelle_P

Kendra, I am so happy this went well for you.  Dr. Yeson's care sounds excellent, and your preperation was top notch.

I'm still pushing through lessons on speech mannerisms and such, working on pitch and resonance.  I'm hoping that my voice can sound reasonable for an older woman (I'm 64) without surgeries, so my FFS this year might be my last transition surgery. (I can hope, anyway...)
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Kendra

Thank you!

I was surprised to wake up this morning without a sore throat.  Ate breakfast, no issues.  I normally drink a lot of water and that's on their list of recovery requirements.  If I hadn't seen the surgical site photos yesterday I would find it difficult to believe the operation was 20 hours ago.  I am amazed at the accuracy of the process at Yeson and will know in the months ahead if this was a full success.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Rachel

Kendra, congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience. Bookmarked.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

Julia813

Kendra,

I agree that this thread has been very informative, and thank you for continuing the updates. Also thank you for answering my earlier question. My voice is a huge area of concern for me right now, and I am just hoping that I can improve at least somewhat with the speech therapist I am currently working with. I mean I seriously can not stand to talk on the phone, let alone the concern I have when I am in a new place.

Anyway thanks for the updates, and look forward to continue to read about your progress!

-Julia
  •  

Anne Blake

Glad to see you living your dream sister! Eat some Korean bar-b-que for me, I love the stuff. And stay warm.

Tia Anne
  •  

steph2.0

Quote from: Kendra on February 27, 2018, 07:25:11 PM
Before leaving for this trip I printed out some paper cards - planning one month of voice rest. 

Missed one:

"Please help me down from the refrigerator."

- Stephanie

Assigned male at birth 1958 * Began envying sister 1963 * Knew unquestioningly that I was female 1968 * Acted the male part for 50 years * Meltdown and first therapist session May 2017 * Began HRT 6/21/17 * Out to the world 10/13/17 * Name Change 12/7/2017 (Girl Harbor Day) * FFS With FacialTeam 12/4/2018 * Facelift and Lipo Body Sculpting at Ocean Clinic 6/13-14/2019 * GCS with Marci Bowers 9/25/2019
  •  

Kendra

Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Mariah

Kendra, Congrats and I hope your healing goes well and smoothly. It sounds like everything has gone well and I am so happy to hear that. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Laurie

Quote from: Saha on March 01, 2018, 04:05:42 PM
Now now Laurie.

We are not looking forward to a month of silence, seems like a long time!
Well it is a long time. I'm sure she will find a way to drive you and Beth bonkers and you two will love it.

Hugs to all three of you.
   Laurie

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

AnnMarie2017

Kendra,

Let me add my thanks to you for this thread. I decided some time ago that the Yeson clinic was my 1st choice for VFS. Heaven knows when I'll have the money; but when I do I'm going to hunt you down and pick your brain clean.  :)

I'm curious why you scheduled VFS before FFS. The potential for damaging and undoing the vocal surgery due to a careless anesthetist really scares me.
  •  

Kendra

All the surgeons I scheduled are aware of each other, and the timing.  :)

I figure any high quality surgeon will be working with a careful anesthesiologist, and during any pre-surgery meeting I'll make sure they are aware of the smaller endotracheal tube requirement.  FFS is scheduled with FacialTeam, they work closely with Yeson and the surgeons have presented their findings together at conferences.

The timing between previous surgery (GCS) and this week's surgery was a bit thin (6 weeks), but I'll have 2-1/2 months before the next one, and a fourth surgery 7 weeks later.  Yeson requires a minimum 2 month gap after VFSRAC.
  •  

tgirlamg

Congrats Kendra on another big leap forward and thanks for the detailed glimpse of the process at Yeson ... I may find my way there in the fall... I am checking out an option a bit closer to home first though... I have an appointment next month at UCSF for VFS evaluation and consult...

Happy Healng Sister!!!

Ashley 😀❤️🌻

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻
  •  

Megan.

Kendra,  I can't keep up with all your medical adventures! I'm very glad it's gone well,  and I hope you're recovering well. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Kendra

Thank you!

Post-surgery meeting 6 days after surgery.  VFSRAC recovery wasn't bad at all.  So I didn't sit still. 

Took the new high speed rail from Seoul Station to Jinbu in the PyongChang area, site of the 2018 Winter Olympics.  Obviously I missed the games (and the traffic) but it turned out to be a great day trip.  Seoul was a bit smoggy and cloudy that day, the mountains were clear and sunny.  There was snow on the ground but it was surprisingly warm - had a very nice walk in the mountain air.  Then back down the hill for tofu soup and bibimbap. 

Here's how I order food when I can't talk. 
1. Always carry the slip of paper that says 제가 성대 수술을 받아서 말을 하면 안 됩니다 (I've had voice surgery and can't speak).
2. Find a restaurant with one of those cool displays in the window.  Food demo!
3. Take photo of what you want, show it to the restaurant.
There's also a bunch of GS-25 ("open 25 hours") mini-marts all over the place with pretty good food.

If you plan to use the subway, purchase a "T-Money" electronic card (easier to do everything before voice surgery).  Once you have the card it's easy to reload using machines in the subway stations.  Taxis cost a lot more and get stuck in traffic. 

Next day, weather cleared in Seoul so I headed to 경복궁 (Gyeongbokgung Palace).  It's definitely on the must-see list in Seoul, been there before but I always enjoy it.  Subway station drops you off under a museum.  A special treat this time was people walking around in traditional Korean clothing.  I really like the last photo of these three.

And then I took a slow train into the east-central mountains.  Left in the morning, arrived in the mountains early afternoon.  This involved making a reservation for four trains from Seoul - I usually use the service counter at Seoul Station but figured out how to use the machines this time.  The O-Line heads southeast and then circles a mountain area.  The V-Line goes up a mountain valley.  Majority of trip was on the medium-speed O-Line with swivel chairs facing the window.  Once in the mountains I transferred to the slower V-Line which has huge windows and travels through remote areas.  It was lightly snowing near the top, the train car had a cozy wood stove.  I stood near the stove to thaw out.  This was off-season during a weekday, the cars were mostly empty.   Food options weren't great - a few smaller stations had a row of food stalls, the V-Train stops long enough to get out and take photos at some stations but the food vendors were closed.  I was okay but it's best to bring something to eat mid-day unless it's full tourist season when everything is open.  Returned to Seoul at 10pm.  Really glad I made this trip.

So... about my gender.  This is my first trip here after visibly starting transition.  Zero issues.  The funny thing is, several times men have started up conversations - in Korean language or in English.  I've never had that randomly happen in previous years.  In one of the mountain towns a friendly group of four guys tried talking me into moving over to their seating area.  I showed my "sorry I can't speak" card, they were still talkative - one of them asked (in English) if I am Russian... not sure if that's an honest guess or a pick-up line. 
  •  

Laurie

Nice pictures girl and you are looking great too. Don't have too much and forget to come home.

Hugs,
    Laurie
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Megan.

Stunning pictures and some wonderful travels, I'm very jealous on all counts. X

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Briah

Ms Kendra you absolutely amaze me.  You breeze through major surgery with a smile on your face and sort of have little more complication than brushing your hair (I know that isn't totally true) then you go galavanting around the world for more surgery looking evaen more beautiful and happy.  Truly awesome on all counts.

Besides you keep giving so much useful information through it all.  Go Girl!!
  •  

Kendra

Post-op follow up meeting. 

Spent a half hour going over voice training I'll need to start in May.  Modified vocal chords require training for brain/muscle coordination and the adaptation process may require up to a year.  Timing isn't automatic - they study each patient's vocal profile and adjust for unique issues if found.  In that 30 minutes the voice training Yeson's staff provided was more clear and easier to understand than what I'd received during many hour-long sessions with a local speech pathologist in Seattle.  They went over posture, breathing, how to stretch and massage muscles that affect voice.  For the actual voice lessons, I can't speak yet so they explained and demonstrated each step along with written instructions and a USB memory stick with additional details and videos. 

Dr. Kim ran the tiny camera waaaay up my nose again to photograph the surgical site.  Having a probe shoved that far into the sinus area is a bit freaky but not too painful - he applies a local anesthetic using special instruments.  And great news, the first week of healing is correct with no apparent complications.  I can start speaking in April. 

Here's Jessie, Chief Manager at Yeson - she speaks fluent English.  She is awesome!  Dr. Kim's language skills are also excellent, and his English handwriting is better than mine.  If I look a bit nervous in the second photo that's a minute before I had Botox injected all the way into my neck. 

Jessie promised the injection wouldn't hurt and she was right!  I was nervous having a needle shoved through my neck into the vocal chord area but I could not feel the actual needle.  They placed a gauze pad on my neck, maybe that helped distract.  Before doing that they placed a couple electrodes on my neck, I wasn't sure why - and then I could hear an audio signal.  When the needle was applied the sound changed.  The sound apparently helps guide the process and it went very fast, a couple seconds.  I was surprised when they told me the injection was already finished.  I wish electrolysis had been this easy.   

And here's Goodie Bag 2.0 - contains several pages of lab analysis, Dr. Kim's handwritten notes, USB key with photos and videos, and straws to assist with voice training.  A prescription medication is provided, start that after Botox wears off in a few months - they will coordinate when to start based on audio files I'll send every 3 months.

VFSRAC at Yeson includes a free in-person check-up within a year.  Seoul is a long drive from Seattle but I plan to come back near end of this year.  Flying coach with advance purchase the airfare isn't too terrible and I want to do everything possible to develop the voice I want. 

VFS isn't always the right answer but I am glad I did this.  Really looking forward to this fall/winter when I hope to have my new voice settled in. 
  •