Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Cameras - a general discussion

Started by Jessica_Rose, January 07, 2024, 06:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

Many people often ask me 'what's the best camera?'

Some people concentrate on 'megapixels', some on physical size ('bigger is better'), or any number of other criteria. In reality, the short answer is 'the best camera is the one you will take with you.' It doesn't matter how capable your 'big' camera is, if it's so big or unweildy that you don't take it with you, then it's useless when that once-in-a-lifetime photo opportunity arises. As someone once said 'you can't draw a picture if you don't have crayons.'

The cameras built into most cell phones are actually not too bad. Although the sensors in most of them are quite small, they work pretty well when there is good light. Unless you plan on printing posters, for many people a cell phone camera may be all they need. The real question isn't 'what's the best camera?', it's 'what's the best camera for me?'

The 'best camera' for anyone really boils down to what type of photos you want to take. Are you interested in sports, scenics, birds, wildlife, portraits, astronomy, underwater, flowers... it's a long list, and there are many cameras and lenses available which can meet your needs.

A corollary to this is 'you have a great camera, it must take fantastic photos.' That's like saying 'you have a nice pencil, it must make beautiful drawings.' A camera is simply a tool to capture images. You may have the best camera in the world, but if you don't know how to use it, the person next to you who knows how to use his little 'point-and-shoot' camera (which cost a fraction of your gear) can probably capture nicer images. Learn how to use the tools you have. If they can't do what you want, then research to find the right tool for the job you want to accomplish.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Maid Marion

My yard is a fantastic place to take pictures.  I grow hundreds of flowering shrubs with minimal pesticides that create a vibrant wildlife ecosystem. This enables me to use a big bulky old Nikon D70 to take photos that would be hard to take elsewhere in Connecticut. I bought it twenty years ago and it still takes good photos!
  •