Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

A speaking engagement at Queens University.

Started by Steph, February 25, 2008, 08:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steph

Well tonight was the night.

Last month I was asked if I would speak to the "Women's Studies Course - Introduction to Contemporary Women's Issues" at Queens University, and tonight was the night.  This was not the first time that I've been asked to speak at Queens but it was the first time that I presented in a large auditorium.

I arrived a little early so that I might meet the professor before hand to cover how the lecture would proceed and he offered that I stay or I could wait outside until my appointed time.  I chose to stay and observe, where upon I chose a seat in the front off to the side.

The students began to file in and the lecture started with the professor making a few announcements and passing on how the remainder of the semester would proceed.  The first part of the video "You don't know Dick" was played for the students by way of an introduction to the topic I would be discussing with them.  It's a great video which tells the story of several FtM's (in their own words).  After 20 min the video was stopped and I was introduced to the students.

I spoken to several groups in the past but never to a group as large as this.  150 bright eyed faces, that looked as though at this time last year they were in high school, and most of them had been.  I gave a brief introduction of myself, who and what I was, where I work, and a brief summary of my transition and my present family status.  I summed up my summary by saying that "It's every trans hope and dream that they will be able to live their life as any other woman in this world without causing a ripple, by being able to pass through a room and not even be noticed, to live in what we call 'A life of stealth", I paused and continued, "I guess I've blown blown my cover", which brought a round of laughter.  And then the questions started.

They were great questions, challenging, and reflected that these students were really interested.  They ranged from "How did I know", to sexual preference, was I gay, reactions from family and friends, human rights issues, medical and treatment issues, how did I feel about my condition being listed as a mental disorder, how did religion affect my life, abuses, attitudes, and stereo types etc.

After about an hour the professor had to call a halt to the discussion as they were running overtime and judging by the huge round of applause I can safely say that there maybe hope for the human race yet, as this group of wonderful people clearly showed a caring, understanding attitude.

A wonderful experience.

Steph

•  

Ms Bev

Steph.....I'm surprised you didn't get a huge round of applause right here on Susan's.  So, :eusa_clap:
Thank you so much for representing us to a group of young, malleable minds!
Bravo!

Bev
1.) If you're skating on thin ice, you might as well dance. 
Bev
2.) The more I talk to my married friends, the more I
     appreciate  having a wife.
Marcy
  •  

Frank

Steph,
That's pretty cool. I hope you get the same reception with all you do.
Frank
  •  

Steph

I guess word is getting around.  I was asked by Ryerson University to speak in April to their Gender Studies Course.  Could this be another career?

Steph
  •  

Dennis

If they pay as much as I've been paid for speaking to university classes, I'd suggest mixing a little cat food in with your dinner now so you can get used to having to eat it when you try and live off the money :)

Dennis
  •  

Steph

Quote from: Dennis on March 11, 2008, 08:43:58 PM
If they pay as much as I've been paid for speaking to university classes, I'd suggest mixing a little cat food in with your dinner now so you can get used to having to eat it when you try and live off the money :)

Dennis

That's so true, honorariums generally suck :)

Steph
  •  

buttercup

•  

Sheila

I use to speak in classrooms and at womans study groups. I did it for free except one time I was paid 50 dollars. So, I guess I'm a professional speaker. Who would have thunk.
Sheila
  •