Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Oral / Transdermal converstion

Started by Megan., March 02, 2018, 01:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megan.

Mods - please remove if this breaks TOS.

As Transdermal delivery avoids the first pass via the liver, is there any guidance (ballpark) on equivalent dosages if moving between the two?

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

•  

Devlyn

I went from patches to pills. I PMed the patch/pill conversion for my dosage to you.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Transfused

Absorption is different for everyone when it comes to different delivery types.

On pills I needed massive doses of Progynova within the range of what is prescribed to cis women undergoing an IVF treatment. I was grumpy, experienced anxiety,...

I switched to patches. I'm on a moderate dose patch of what is prescribed to menopausal cis women. My levels are in the mid of the menstrual cycle.

My skin absorbs patches very efficiently.
My stomach breaks down Estradiol Valerate pills too quickly.

I feel more relaxed on Estradiol Hemihydrate which is found in most patches except for Climara, than on Estradiol Valerate.

Estradiol Hemihydrate works better for me.
Other people do better on Estradiol Valerate.

YMMV.

Whipe your skin clean with alcohol first, make sure that the surface is completely hairless and put some Tegaderm over it. Plaster tape is needed for those patches. They have a own will! Lol :-)
  •  

KayXo

Quote from: Transfused on March 02, 2018, 06:03:16 AMEstradiol Hemihydrate works better for me.
Other people do better on Estradiol Valerate.

Both forms of estradiol, as per studies, have similar pharmacokinetics when delivered by the same route because EV quickly gets hydrolized, whether in the intestines or in the blood. You may be seeing a difference because you are taking estrogen transdermally vs orally.

As per equivalences, studies have estimated around a 5% bio-availability from oral estradiol, on average, so that 2 mg oral estradiol would result, on average, in an absolute bio-availability of 0.1 mg or 100 micrograms estradiol. Double check with pharmacists and guidelines.
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

Transfused

Quote from: KayXo on March 02, 2018, 06:26:45 AM
Both forms of estradiol, as per studies, have similar pharmacokinetics when delivered by the same route because EV quickly gets hydrolized, whether in the intestines or in the blood. You may be seeing a difference because you are taking estrogen transdermally vs orally.

As per equivalences, studies have estimated around a 5% bio-availability from oral estradiol, on average, so that 2 mg oral estradiol would result, on average, in an absolute bio-availability of 0.1 mg or 100 micrograms estradiol. Double check with pharmacists and guidelines.

Patches give me a smoother supply of hormones which I prefer over the oral hormone bombarding of Estradiol pills.
Estradiol pills gave me anxiety.
Patches and gel never gave me side effects and my E-levels are higher on patches and gel than on oral like Progynova or Estrofem.
  •