Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Transsexuals and Vegetarian/Vegan

Started by Valerie Elizabeth, May 01, 2009, 06:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maria77

I've been a vegetarian close to vegan for 30 years.  It is just me and I don't miss meat one iota.  My husband is a rabid carnivore.  ???
  •  

SeptagonScars

I keep seeing every other trans person seems to be vegan/vegetarian as well, but wonder if that's really so or just a coincidence of sorts. I've noticed very many FTM's being vegan/vegetarian also, and not just MTF's though. Could be because of health reasons, if wanting to have a better diet for hrt and/or losing weight or whatever. Could also be moral ideas in some way or another.

I've tried it in the past but it really wasn't working for me at all, so I decided to go back to being an omnivore and stop beating myself up for liking meat and hating vegetables. Morally I don't think it's wrong to eat meat, just natural, but peer pressure has had me thinking about that in the past. Other animals eat meat, and last I checked humans are animals too.

Restricting my diet was a bad move for my serious lack of appetite and having no interest in food. I just ate less and worse and hated eating even more. I've recovered from my former eating disorder and have no wish to lose weight (nor do I panic over gaining), but I've just never liked to eat and that's been a struggle of its own since my early childhood. Restricting my diet made it more inconvenient/complicated which resulted in a negative impact on my health. At least when I'm eating meat I'm eating something.

Also I've just started trying to build muscle mass, so me not being vegan/vegetarian is probably an advantage in trying to get enough protein, which is already super difficult for me with no appetite, but I'm trying to force-feed myself as much as I can and can only hope it gets easier with time and patience. Why I'm like that, I've no idea. I'm physically healthy. Seen doctors but they don't know. It could possibly be some weird asperger trait though, for all I know. But it's gotten worse the past year and that's what's most annoying.
Mar. 2009 - came out as ftm
Nov. 2009 - changed my name to John
Mar. 2010 - diagnosed with GID
Aug. 2010 - started T, then stopped after 1 year
Aug. 2013 - started T again, kept taking it since
Mar. 2014 - top surgery
Dec. 2014 - legal gender marker changed to male
Jul. 2018 - came out as cis woman and began detransition
Sep. 2018 - stopped taking T and changed my name to Laura
Oct. 2018 - got new ID-card

Medical Detransition plans: breast reconstruction surgery, change legal gender back to female.
  •  

annaleaver

Vegan and transexual/gendered, I'm not sure there's a link or whether it just stands out more in people's minds/how they perceive you
Deed poll 17/10/2017
Passport 09/02/2018
Drivers License 07/03/2018
Electrolysis 03/07/2018
  •  

Allison S

I was vegetarian for a few months when I first started hrt. I goofed and didn't eat much protein.. Well I think my hair was growing slower because of lack of protein. I think it's a thing.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

•  

Kylo

I trust what my body seeks out. It's not stupid. When I was largely vegetarian as a kid, it was because at that age I could not digest red meat properly. When I had an eating disorder I was craving meat from a lack of protein, my hair and nails suffered at the time. When I eat too much carbs, I naturally don't think about eating much the next day. When I eat too much junk, I start craving vegetables and healthy stuff.

In the end the best balance was struck by eating once a day, eating some meat protein with almost every meal, salad or vegetables with it, and limited refined carbs like bread. Red meat is the type I eat least, white meat next, and fish most of all.

My body seems to know what it needs and how much of it, and I've always been pretty healthy when I actually follow its instincts.

Moral philosophical arguments for veganism never held up for me. Maybe because clearly human beings do not have the digestive systems of strict vegetarian animals. Maybe because I studied biology and saw that everything is interconnected and everything consumed by everything else, and life always returns to be used again by something else. My abstaining from eating an animal isn't going to change that. If anything, being omnivorous was probably what enabled human beings to become as intelligent as they are and reach the evolutionary stage we have. A hunter needs a more complex brain, social and organizational structure than a grazing ungulate, a big brain needs protein and good fuel like meat is far more efficient than spending 12 hours a day collecting and eating leaves, and a big brain devised ways to make life easier for our species. If we had been like the cows grazing on the grass in the early stages of our evolution there would have been little incentive and push to have become more intelligent and evolve a highly complex brain. So I can't see the issue there. The only issue I have is that animals should be kept and slaughtered in a way that inflicts the least suffering and stress on them during their lives. So I don't eat foie gras etc. I also believe the "halal" method of slaughter is not a good one, compared to one that should be used in my country which is usually disablement by boltgun. Having experienced a traumatic brain concussion myself as a kid I can say that it was frankly a peaceful experience with no panic and no pain. It was a dreamlike state. Having your throat cut while aware and alive however is clearly not. So I'm certainly against the spread of halal slaughter techniques in the UK on moral and scientific grounds.

"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

gracefulhat

Transgender female here and I've been on a vegan/plant based diet since August 2017. Some of the benefits that I have seen are wt loss (from 168 to 150 # and maintaing 150 for 6 months), regulated digestion (used to go for 4 or 5 days without going but now it's one to two times a day and it's never constation or loose), less sexual drive (for me this is good), less heat/redness to face, much more muscle tone and much less bulk. For me it's just easier to eat this way. It did take about 6 weeks for my gut microflora to get on board, but once the pathogenic bacteria die off it's much easier because you literally don't crave meats. In fact it somewhat grosses me out when I smell meat now. Now I do cheat every now and then when I have to. For example I just went to Seattle for vacation and my wife's family fixed a Korean dish called bulgogi with meat in it. It woukd have been insulting for me not to eat it. So you don't have to be too extreme, but just make it your over all goal to try and eat less meat. BTW my lipid panel and Hgba1c were ridiculously good.
Above all, love
  •  

Kokoro

Veganism and vegetarianism has been gaining ground in the last decade or so and there has been a big increase in people cutting down on meat or 'Flexitarian'. Not full-blown vegetarianism, but people are dramatically cutting down on how much meat they consume.

I'd put myself in this category. I no longer look at meat as an essential part of a meal,  but as something that can be added to help round out everything else.

When eating out I'd use to focus on how much meat was in a dish and that was the deal-maker. Now I look at everything that comes with it and not if the steak is 8oz or 14oz.

As far as a link between trasngenderism and being vegan/vegetarian, as someone mentioned early on, I think its because people are forced to confront the way they view the world and look deep inside themselves rather than just living on the surface. And that naturally leads to more people considering where their food comes from and if they are REALLY OK with that?
  •  

laurenb

Transgender+Vegetarian+Buddhist here. It's better for this body, better for this planet and better for my Karma ;)
  •  

RobynD

I question whether statistically, we are any more vegan than the rest of the population. I'm omnivorous, I do favor veggies though and probably eat meat 3 days a week.

•  

Shy

Well I've been vegan for a month now and feel much better for it. Lots more energy, slowly loosing weight, skin's never been better.
I did a lot of research before switching though to make sure I'm getting the right balance. I also supplement B12, Iodine, DHA and EPA.
The toughest part for me was getting others close to me to respect my decision, and because I did a lot of vegan internet searches I'm now getting bombarded with meat adds on google. Strange world we live in.

Peace and love and all that good stuff,

Sadie
  •  

gracefulhat

Quote from: Shy on July 06, 2018, 09:41:24 AM
Well I've been vegan for a month now and feel much better for it. Lots more energy, slowly loosing weight, skin's never been better.
I did a lot of research before switching though to make sure I'm getting the right balance. I also supplement B12, Iodine, DHA and EPA.
The toughest part for me was getting others close to me to respect my decision, and because I did a lot of vegan internet searches I'm now getting bombarded with meat adds on google. Strange world we live in.

Peace and love and all that good stuff,

Sadie

That's awsome Sadie! It usually takes 4 to 6 weeks for your stomach bacteria to adjust and it's smoother sailing after. I'm coming up on one year vegan diet next month and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
Above all, love
  •