Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Transgender surgeries are on the rise says first study of its kind

Started by stephaniec, March 03, 2018, 03:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

•  

Transfused

One surgeon, dr Miroslav Djordjevic from Belgrade who is a widely reputed surgeon recently gave an interview about how more and more MtFs who had vaginoplasty came to him for a reversal surgery, he explained. Could be due to less screening and more informed consent nowadays?
  •  

AnonyMs

I think Djordjevic is the guy known for it so he probably gets most if them. Probably just reflects the increasing numbers of surgeries rather than an increasing rate. There's not really informed consent for srs in the same way there is for hrt, although it's not exactly difficult if you are determined and are paying yourself.
  •  

Devlyn

There are a handful of prominent detransitoners, and they're the media favourite. The numbers of happily transitioned people are overwhelming by comparison.

Could you tell us why you're driving the regret bus so hard? People come here to find their way, not rag on people who aren't doing it "the right way."  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Transfused

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on March 03, 2018, 04:22:32 PM
There are a handful of prominent detransitoners, and they're the media favourite. The numbers of happily transitioned people are overwhelming by comparison.

Could you tell us why you're driving the regret bus so hard? People come here to find their way, not rag on people who aren't doing it "the right way."  :)

Hugs, Devlyn

Hi Devlyn,

I think people should be informed that there is more than one way to transition.
In my country until recently HRT was refused to people who didn't want SRS also.
It's very important for people to know that only HRT and no SRS is still trans enough to transition.
Just like if you feel SRS is right for you, go get it.
Unfortunately some people feel societal pressure to undergo it.
A year ago I thought like that. I was too ashamed to tell the psychologist who approved me for HRT that I didn't want SRS. I felt ashamed. I was already a year on HRT under the care of my GP at that point. Even my GP didn't know about me not wanting SRS. I lied that I wanted SRS. Today after two years of HRT, I know that shame is not needed. Everyone transitions according to the need of their body and adapted to their dysphoria.

I'm not driving the regret bus.
Not at all. I just want to make sure that people know there is more than one way to transition.

Getting FFS and not SRS or only SRS and not FFS is ok too. Whatever cures your dysphoria.

Transfused.
  •  

Devlyn

I think you misunderstand informed consent, it only applies to beginning HRT. After that, you follow the same WPATH guidelines everyone else does. Having said that, guidelines are all they are. In my case the waiting requirements were waived and I was scheduled for surgery.

Would that be informed consent surgery in your opinion, or just a doctor following the WPATH guidelines?

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

AnonyMs

I know you can work around the psych requirements for srs, I was thinking of doing it myself while still living as male. However only a very small number of people do it this way.

I'm fine with making srs informed consent. Its working out pretty well for hrt. People have the freedom to choose how they live without fitting in to others preconceived notions of how they should do things.

The freedom to choose brings the freedom to make mistakes, and I prefer more freedom rather than less. How many people wish they had never taken up smoking or stayed at school a few more years, or married someone else? What's so special about srs?
  •