Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Are these voice-changing resources legit?

Started by Blucatt, March 11, 2018, 03:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blucatt

Hey there, so I'm transgender and am now looking into changing my voice to sound more feminine. In my search, I have found these 2 resources that seem to be able to help me do exactly that. They seem legit, but I don't know if either are real or worth my money.

The first is this http://www.genderlife.com/products-page/ultimate-packages/transsexual-voice-video-download/ -- a Finding Your Female Voice coaching course. It seems like it may have a lot of good information for me, but the price was lowered from $36 to just $6, which makes me a little wary.

The second is this http://professionalvoice.org/feminization.aspx , a transgender voice surgery that claims to have a lot of good results. It's the first thing that comes up when I google "transgender voice surgery", but I asked my gender therapist about it and he had never heard of it before. So that raises a red flag.

If any of you have used these or know others that have, I'd like to know. IT'd really ease my worries and I could move forward with things.
  •  

PurplePelican

Quote from: Blucatt on March 11, 2018, 03:47:23 PM
Hey there, so I'm transgender and am now looking into changing my voice to sound more feminine. In my search, I have found these 2 resources that seem to be able to help me do exactly that. They seem legit, but I don't know if either are real or worth my money.

The first is this http://www.genderlife.com/products-page/ultimate-packages/transsexual-voice-video-download/ -- a Finding Your Female Voice coaching course. It seems like it may have a lot of good information for me, but the price was lowered from $36 to just $6, which makes me a little wary.

The second is this http://professionalvoice.org/feminization.aspx , a transgender voice surgery that claims to have a lot of good results. It's the first thing that comes up when I google "transgender voice surgery", but I asked my gender therapist about it and he had never heard of it before. So that raises a red flag.

If any of you have used these or know others that have, I'd like to know. IT'd really ease my worries and I could move forward with things.

I can't comment on voice videos, I didn't use any.. The 2nd link is for Dr Haben, who is well known for his pitch-raising surgeries. Something to remember though, surgery only changes pitch - you still have to do all the other voice work yourself, so maybe do the work first and then see if surgery is still required.

I'd also be suggesting to your therapist that he either get up-to-date on the "Who's Who" of the trans world, or cease making comments on other medical professionals. Dr Haben is quite well known for his voice work, internationally.. In this case, your therapist is the red flag.
This is not medical advice. Always consult your doctor.
  •  

Cassi

Get with Dena
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Cassi

Sorry, Dena's one of the mods on this site.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Kendra

To make my decision for VFS surgeon I spent a couple hours reading many previous posts in this forum, and listened carefully to before/after recordings.  A couple hours isn't much compared to the investment and risk with VFS. 

I purchased the "Finding Your Female Voice" video 3 years ago (for $36 USD) and found it useful.  It isn't perfect, but compared to the cost of one hour of professional voice training that's a bargain.   
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Cassi

I have had four voice therapy sessions thus far and the most important has been help in understanding the "Head voice" which my therapist says I do do.

Being relaxed is a key and I use Voice Pitch Analyser which I told my therapist about and she liked it. 

Getting to understand the "Head Voice" is a key.  Another issue is that despite using my head voice, my ears and brain still hear my voice.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

DawnOday

I would recommend Linda Peres program called Eve (download from the Apple Store) Unfortunately it is only available for Ipad and Iphone.  It was recommended by my voice / lifestyle coach. Another thing to do is download "Da Tuner"  It is a guitar tuner but works for voice. What you want to do with it is find your baseline either by pitch, Htz. and then raise it an octive. My norm is E2 so I shoot for F3 or 175htz. You want to be able to hold that higher pitch so it takes practice. Lots of practice. But eventually you'll get there. Several must do's is sitting up straight, breathing from your stomach instead of the chest and also forming your words in your mouth (resonance)so your mouth feels like it's buzzing. Practice, Practice Practice.   Here are some resources to review. https://www.susans.org/links/Help_&_How-to//Voice_therapy_&_training//
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Cassi

BTW, I sent a PM to Dena mentioning this thread.  Hopefully she'll pop in soon.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Rachel

I used the program and it was helpful. The daily dozen drills are good.

I went to a voice pathologist that worked with trans for 9 months. She helped Dr. McGinn and is referenced on her web site.

I had a procedure by a doctor in Philadelphia called Dr. Sadaloff. I had a procedure scheduled with Dr. Haban and cancelled the procedure. I have read and listened to a dozen people that went to Dr. Haban and spoke to a person that went to Dr. Spiegel. I formed a conclusion about laser assist VFS. I also formed a conclusion about the percent of web needed and needed vocal HZ increase and history of smoking. Smoking tends to thickens the vocal folds.

My research points to micro instruments removing mucosal tissue to be  minimally disruptive to the vocal fold. Dr. Kim is one that uses micro instruments.

I will see Dr. Sataloff March 28 and will ask him about his glottoplasty procedure. I would go to him if he performs the same procedure as Dr. Kim and I can see several post op pic results just after the surgery. If not I may go to South Korea.

These are my thoughts and I am not a doctor. Many have gone to Dr. Haban and had excellent results. I recommend you read as many as possible posts on VFS prior to having the operation if that is what you want to do.

HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

Susan

I had the surgery with Dr. Haben and I highly recommend it. I went from getting 100% Sir'd on the phone from people blind calling me, to 100% ma'amed. I seldom got sir'd in public, but presentation was a lot of that. The price runs around $7000 with half up front to book the date, but includes the price of your hotel stay. This was some of the best transition money spent, after GRS and FFS.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

Dena

Voice surgery is not magical. Voice surgery only alters the pitch so therapy is as much of a proper voice as surgery is. In addition, voice surgery isn't perfect so it's best to have therapy first to determine if surgery is needed. There are other doctors performing this type of surgery and as this is one shot, learn as much as you can before deciding on surgery or a surgeon. That said, here is my thread.

By the way, my voice is the 64 year old voice.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •