Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

An avoidable terrible situation

Started by Denise, February 28, 2018, 06:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denise

Yesterday morning was probably one of the worst stretches of 3 hours in my life and it was mostly avoidable.  I'm posting this to potentially save you some of the heartaches.

at 4:59 yesterday morning my ex-wife (We get along well; there was not a single disagreement during the divorce.  The relationship is obviously strained but we are still friends.) called me.  Her father, who was loved by all, hated by none,  had passed away that night.  He was 95 so it was inevitable but still "quick". We figured he would outlast us all.

The call was 15 seconds as she had other people to notify (our kids probably) and arrangements to make.  I laid in bed for 2 hours crying like a baby.  I was totally upset for a number of reasons but the biggest one was my confusion over "can I go to the funeral?"  My ex is part of a family with 6 kids, a dozen or two grandchildren and I've lost track of how many great-grandchildren there are.  All of them know about me and the divorce but none have met me as Denise.

If I don't go then how does that look?  If I do go then I'm going to be a distraction from what is going on.  I need to support my ex but how?  (She's a complicated woman and hard to read at times.)

TL;DR
I'm a wreck because a wonderful man who I loved with all my heart died.  (I had not seen him since I came out.)
I'm worried about my kids.
I have no idea if I'm invited to the funeral.
I have no idea how to support my ex.
I have no idea who to talk to.

The last three items may have caused me the most sadness.  My recommendation is if you get along with your spouse talk ahead of time about these topics.  DO NOT wait until you need the information.  Like a living will or organ donor stuff, since death is inevitable, talk about these things ahead of time.  Laying on the bathroom floor for an hour in a fetal position is not healthy.
1st Person out: 16-Oct-2015
Restarted Spironolactone 26-Aug-2016
Restarted Estradiol Valerate: 02-Nov-2016
Full time: 02-Mar-2017
Breast Augmentation (Schechter): 31-Oct-2017
FFS (Walton in Chicago): 25-Sep-2018
Vaginoplasty (Schechter): 13-Dec-2018

A haiku in honor of my grandmother who loved them.

The Voices are Gone
Living Life to the Fullest
I am just Denise
  •  

Faith

Denise, I feel for your loss. It's never easy.

I would believe that since she felt the need to notify you that you would be included in any farewells. Give her a little time to call everyone, catch her breath, and then reach out. You'll find the words.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Denise

Faith, 

Thank you for your kind words.

The words came to me through a tear-stained keyboard but they were from the heart.

I will not be going to the funeral out of respect for the brothers who are obviously upset and probably upset with me for "putting their baby sister through my transition."  I would say I'm not in good terms with them.  Not because I'm transgender but more the hurt I caused their little girl.  (It even saddens me too.)

So no, I'm not going.  Besides it's a 1000 miles away and making arrangements to go would have to occur NOW.

The Voices are Gone
I am just Denise
  •  

Gertrude

Ask her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Denise

Quote from: Gertrude on February 28, 2018, 07:22:08 AM
Ask her

Sorry.  We did discuss it and we both agreed that it would be awkward and disruptive to the family. I will not be going and the only thing I'm upset about is my past Gender Dysphoria.  I will morn in my own space.  I'm very okay with take.

The thread was to recommend not dealing with this when emotions are high.  Do it ahead of time. 

For an in-law or ex-in-law get your plans settled.  They are allowed to change over time. But definitely don't wait until you need them.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

The Voices are Gone
I am just Denise
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Denise on February 28, 2018, 08:43:55 AM
Sorry.  We did discuss it and we both agreed that it would be awkward and disruptive to the family. I will not be going and the only thing I'm upset about is my past Gender Dysphoria.  I will morn in my own space.  I'm very okay with take.

The thread was to recommend not dealing with this when emotions are high.  Do it ahead of time. 

For an in-law or ex-in-law get your plans settled.  They are allowed to change over time. But definitely don't wait until you need them.

Sounds like the right thing to do.

•  

Allison S

I'm sorry you're going through this Denise. It's sad when transitioning gets in the way and that right now you're not able to mourn the way you feel you should. I get that's their dad, but I don't understand or agree with anyone being shut out when it comes to mourning.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

Denise

Quote from: Allison S on February 28, 2018, 08:55:13 AM
I'm sorry you're going through this Denise. It's sad when transitioning gets in the way and that right now you're not able to mourn the way you feel you should. I get that's their dad, but I don't understand or agree with anyone being shut out when it comes to mourning.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Shut out, no.  I would say "self imposed exclusion". I love the family way too much to even be the slightest distraction. 

I will not be that person who shows up and disrupts everything.

I'll add though if my ex or children were to pass, wild horses couldn't keep me away.  This is their time.  I'll let them have it.  I know where the cemetery is and where the plot will be.  I'll pay my respects this summer if I can get back there.

The Voices are Gone
I am just Denise
  •  

TonyaW

Can you send some flowers?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•  

Jessica

I think Tonya has a great idea!  At least you can have your presence in the gift of beauty to the soul you loved.

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Denise

Quote from: TonyaW on February 28, 2018, 09:11:37 AM
Can you send some flowers?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's the plan - or donate to whatever cause they request.

I've been chatting with my ex's little sister and she's feeling guilty for the situation but agrees that it's for the best.  I expressed how sad I was at his passing and my sorrow that I can't be there but I didn't want to disturb everything by being there. (Which is the truth!)

Hopefully, in 2019 there will be at least one wedding for my children.  Then that side of the family can come and be reintroduced to Denise under joyous conditions.

Thank you all for your support in this.

The Voices are Gone
I am just Denise
  •  

widdershins

Quote from: Denise on February 28, 2018, 08:43:55 AM

That's really good advice, and I thank you for taking the time to share it after learning the hard way. I'll have to spend some time considering how to handle certain events that are inevitably going to come up.
  •  

Shawnna

Quote from: Denise on February 28, 2018, 06:37:44 AM
Faith, 

Thank you for your kind words.

The words came to me through a tear-stained keyboard but they were from the heart.

I will not be going to the funeral out of respect for the brothers who are obviously upset and probably upset with me for "putting their baby sister through my transition."  I would say I'm not in good terms with them.  Not because I'm transgender but more the hurt I caused their little girl.  (It even saddens me too.)

So no, I'm not going.  Besides it's a 1000 miles away and making arrangements to go would have to occur NOW.

It sounds like you're not very close with them but maybe a phone call expressing empathy to them might help.

I lost an aunt several weeks ago.  It was going to be difficult to attend the funeral, not due to being transgender and not out to them, but due to a 3000 mile distance and lack of alternate child care for my special needs child.

I called each family member individually to express my sympathy. Each one told me that they appreciated my call and understood that attending was possible but not the best choice.  We all got the closure we needed without being there.

I'll always wish I could have gone but I know I make the best choice for everybody.

If you deal with it over the phone, you might lessen the transgender aspect of the encounter.

Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  •  

Denise

Quote from: Shawnna on March 19, 2018, 11:00:48 AM
It sounds like you're not very close with them but maybe a phone call expressing empathy to them might help.

I lost an aunt several weeks ago.  It was going to be difficult to attend the funeral, not due to being transgender and not out to them, but due to a 3000 mile distance and lack of alternate child care for my special needs child.

I called each family member individually to express my sympathy. Each one told me that they appreciated my call and understood that attending was possible but not the best choice.  We all got the closure we needed without being there.

I'll always wish I could have gone but I know I make the best choice for everybody.

If you deal with it over the phone, you might lessen the transgender aspect of the encounter.

Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Interesting idea to use the phone.

However I love this family with all my heart and it kills me that I've potentially hurt my ex.  I'm going to do a whirl wind trip this summer to pay respects to most of the family.

The Voices are Gone
I am just Denise
  •