Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Weapons, shooting, guns.

Started by Tracey, March 22, 2018, 06:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassi

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on March 29, 2018, 12:59:57 PM
I wonder... can I get my favorite espresso there while waiting to clear things up??

What? You don't have your "family" badge anymore???????
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Kendra

Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •  

Devlyn

Thank you, Kendra.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

amandam

Anyone have experiece comparing the new Leupold Freedom to the Redfield Revolution?

Out of the closet to family 4-2019
  •  

amandam

I haven't seen either one. I did check out a Leupold Rifleman. It seemed clearer than the generic Nikon prostaff that came with my rifle.
Out of the closet to family 4-2019
  •  

Deborah

Your speaking of scopes reminded me of my hunting rifle (the few times I have hunted) that I got when my grandfather died.  He had originally gotten it in the 1930s.  It's an M1903 Springfield with a sport stock and a vintage Lyman Alaskan scope.  I think that other than the stock it's pretty much the same setup that our WWII snipers used.  It is really accurate with the only downside of kicking like an angry mule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

V M

Hi friends  :police:

Had to do a bit of "Clean up" here

Let's try to stay on topic when posting

Thank you

V M
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Devlyn

Thanks! I may be able to arrange an honorarium (of jelly beans!) for the Staff.  :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

V M

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on March 31, 2018, 06:50:48 PM
Thanks! I may be able to arrange an honorarium (of jelly beans!) for the Staff.  :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn

Right on, I just happen to have an air rifle that can put a jelly bean through a 2x6 board

I just keep it around for some reason - Ah, to maintain accuracy 

I've owned a variety of firearms over the years but got rid most of 'em because they just don't really fascinate me much anymore
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Shellie Hart

Quote from: Deborah on March 31, 2018, 02:08:11 PM
Your speaking of scopes reminded me of my hunting rifle (the few times I have hunted) that I got when my grandfather died.  He had originally gotten it in the 1930s.  It's an M1903 Springfield with a sport stock and a vintage Lyman Alaskan scope.  I think that other than the stock it's pretty much the same setup that our WWII snipers used.  It is really accurate with the only downside of kicking like an angry mule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to have a Marlin .35 Lever Action with a pistol grip and open sight. Great deer hunting rifle (for under one-hundred fifty yards). It was light but kicked harder than anything I ever shot. Once I was out target shooting (actually getting it sighted in for hunting -- ammo cost too much for simple target shooting). Also very loud. Required hearing protection every time. A young lady asked to shoot it one time -- just one shot. She wanted to experience how it felt to shoot such a big gun. Stupidly I simply loaded it and handed it to her. Unfortunately she aimed like a girl -- She put the stock-butt down onto her bicep (not up firmly on the shoulder) and leaned her head way down to view the sight. I should have instructed better beforehand. She pulled the trigger and nearly fell back on her butt. Long story short -- she ended up with a very large black and blue bruise on her arm and felt a lot of pain for a week afterward. I never again allowed skinny girls to shoot it afterwards. :-\
  •  

SonadoraXVX

I was given a Winchester model 70 30-06 rifle, badly loved, with rust even, chaffed wooden stocks, nursed it back to health. I just happened to have a lot of 30-06 steel cased rounds(when you could shoot them in california in the mid 90's at public ranges), left over from when I had a M1D 30-06 rifle, exchanged it for a Remington LTR 308 and other weapons(guns). Only true vintage cartridge and weapon I have, something tells me to not sell/trade/give this one away. The garand too, but just the Winchester fell into my hands for free. I once was at the square rifle range, just shooting my guns, when this young guy(rangemaster), in his 20's started telling me how to shoot my pistol, its flattering really. I'm thinking like ok, didn't solicit his advice or was asked if I know how to shoot, I just get a kick out of it anyway, but understand. I was ok, so what if I want to shoot like a amatuer/unitiated(not one really), as long as my finger is off the trigger, gun pointed downrange at all times or in safe directions, with action open and not saying dumb stuff,  lol(I just give off the, I don't know about this girlyboy vibes), anyway.

The polite thing to do is ask certain people, young ladies, certain men, even me, lol, if they know how to handle their gun, for safety reasons.
Gunny Sgt hardcore:Sgt Stud, does Cpl flowerboy/me, know how to shoot that M203 and do his MCI on it?
Sgt Stud: Yes he did and  he tore it apart, cleaned it, did a function check and I did a function check and recited to me
the particulars of it, eyeing the gunny.
Gunny Sgt: Hmmmm, why don't I just believe it, but its your behind Sgt.
Sgt: Yes I know
I'm thinking, Busted, disgusted, girlyboy can't be trusted, without rolling my eyes or smiling(just too mellow).
Yea I know, With the 1st shirt or higher/dignateries/impressionable/loved ones around, always tighten my game automatically(but nobody important I need to impress is around me), because even if they get a whiff, I'm a loosey, I'm canned from ops or live weapons handling and relegated to the remington raiders division.

To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".

•  

Gertrude

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on March 29, 2018, 12:42:40 PM
The worst thing to have to say at a TSA checkpoint: "well, this is embarrassing..."
I have friends that had to stow kilt pins. The TSA makes up a lot as they go along. The funniest thing was when a guy got a pat down and up by a male tsa agent and he was regimental in a kilt. The agents face turned red. It's all security theater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Mountain Warfare Girl

Quote from: barbie on March 26, 2018, 08:30:27 AM
Yes. The M60 is much more powerful than the M16. But the M16 was more lethal because it was rifled with right-hand twisted 6 grooves, whereas the M60 was with 4 twisted grooves. I heard that international law prohibited using rifles with 6 twisted grooves in wartime battles. The AK-47 also had 4 grooves.

barbie~~
The twist has noting to do with lethality
  •  

Mountain Warfare Girl

Quote from: barbie on March 26, 2018, 06:33:26 PM
Yes. You may be right. The number of grooves does not seem to be directly related with the lethality, and I guess it was a wrong theory in the 1970s. Nevertheless, the M16 and its variants (AR-15 and M4) were considered inhumane compared to AK-47 and others, because of fragmentation of the bullet inside of the human body.

"These wounds were much larger than those produced by AK-47 and they were so devastating that many considered the M16 to be an inhumane weapon."

"International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) pp. 1–18: Those who consider the M16 inhumane include; the International Committee of the Red Cross, Austria, Argentina, Belgium, Bolivia, Bulgaria, Burundi, Cambodia, Cyprus, Germany, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mauritius, Mexico, Romania, Samoa, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, etc."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_AK-47_and_M16#Terminal_ballistics

The bullets of the M16 (or M4) were smaller than those of the AK-47 or the M60, but they were more damaging.

https://www.shadowspear.com/2016/06/why-id-rather-be-shot-with-an-ak47-than-an-m4-contains-graphic-images/

barbie~~
Wrong again. The 5.56 isn't even designed to kill it is designed to hurt the target so it takes more people to remove them to safety

Also from first hand experience I was infantry for 7.5 years including 2.5 of them in Iraq the 7.62x39 causes much more damn age then the 5.56x45 and the 5.45x39 ( the AK74 round) is even nastier.

Please stop passing stories from anti gun groups that have no clew about ballistics or how guns work....
  •  

Mountain Warfare Girl

Quote from: barbie on March 26, 2018, 06:33:26 PM

"International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) pp. 1–18: Those who consider the M16 inhumane include; the International Committee of the Red Cross, Austria, Argentina, Belgium, Bolivia, Bulgaria, Burundi, Cambodia, Cyprus, Germany, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mauritius, Mexico, Romania, Samoa, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, etc."

barbie~~

Where did you find this hogwash ? Do you know every nation on that list Uses the 5.56 nato (same round the M16 uses) as their military rifle cartridge?????? And some of them use the 5.45x39 that is more powerful and has better terminal ballistics the. The 5.56 do to the air gap in the top of the projectile 
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: Mountain Warfare Girl on April 03, 2018, 03:08:04 PM
Wrong again. The 5.56 isn't even designed to kill it is designed to hurt the target so it takes more people to remove them to safety

Also from first hand experience I was infantry for 7.5 years including 2.5 of them in Iraq the 7.62x39 causes much more damn age then the 5.56x45 and the 5.45x39 ( the AK74 round) is even nastier.

Speaking of old wive's tales...

5.56 was designed to kill

7.62x39 causes less damage due to lower kinetic energy (the V squared term really wins here) and no fragmentation.

7.62x39 does punch through foliage and cover better though.

My credentials: Also an Iraq vet (19D), and I happen to know a lot more about physics than the average person.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Mountain Warfare Girl

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on April 03, 2018, 03:28:22 PM

7.62x39 causes less damage due to lower kinetic energy (the V squared term really wins here) and no fragmentation.

My credentials: Also an Iraq vet (19D), and I happen to know a lot more about physics than the average person.

Im a gunsmith and have training in terminal ballistics and no the 55gr 5.56 wasn't made to kill go and read the pentagon reports on the program. (I have a copy on my computer if you what to read it it is long but informative)

I have shot people with the 5.56 and seen people shot with the x39 and I'd take being hit with the 5.56 any day over the x39 esp at CQB ranges 2' - 50 yards ware the M998 pokes nice little holes do to the penetrator being designed to punch threw Russian body armor  so the round holders together to well till it reaches 150-200 yards where it is in its destabilization threshold where the round tumbles and brakes up. 
  •  

Mountain Warfare Girl

S

https://www.ballisticstudies.com

Great classes on Ballistics some of  them are expensive but worth it if you are in to the extreme end of shooting sports
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Mountain Warfare Girl on April 03, 2018, 02:39:42 PM
The twist has noting to do with lethality
Or legality

•  

Gertrude

The 7.62 x39 doesn't have less energy than the 5.56. Not from my knowledge. The 7.62 x 51 or 308 Winchester beats all of those. Then there are hunting cartridges that are far worse than 5.56 or 7.62 Russian. I've seen what my .30-06 and 444 marlin do and there's no surviving a CoM hit with hunting ammo and there are more powerful stuff from there.

•