Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Weapons, shooting, guns.

Started by Tracey, March 22, 2018, 06:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gertrude

The 21' rule assumes you stand there. One can practice moving back while drawing. Also, drawing and firing single hand while using the weak hand to defend might be useful. Anything that gives one more time.

I have a bianchi pancake holster and a fobus paddle holster for my commander. I haven't used it en femme. It's probably too heavy, at least for the way I would dress en femme. I'd want something close to half that weight. Maybe a snubbie in 357 or a sub compact 9mm/45.

For bear country, I'd get at least a 44 mag or a 454 casul, 4" barrel loaded with heavy bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: Gertrude on September 24, 2018, 08:26:56 AM
The 21' rule assumes you stand there. One can practice moving back while drawing. Also, drawing and firing single hand while using the weak hand to defend might be useful. Anything that gives one more time.

I took an advanced pistol class taught by Jerry McCown of Gunsite a long time ago and that was something he taught.  Identify the threat, back away while drawing (if needed), stiff arm or block the threat with your weak arm and fire from retention with your strong hand.  Don't contact shoot with a semi auto or exposed hammer revolver as you can potentially cause a malfunction.  That was a really fun class.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on September 24, 2018, 09:39:40 AM
I took an advanced pistol class taught by Jerry McCown of Gunsite a long time ago and that was something he taught.  Identify the threat, back away while drawing (if needed), stiff arm or block the threat with your weak arm and fire from retention with your strong hand.  Don't contact shoot with a semi auto or exposed hammer revolver as you can potentially cause a malfunction.  That was a really fun class.

Surprised about the revolver advice. They usually go bang. Autos, yes. I just read a bear attack story where a guy had a Glock in 10mm and the gun malfunctioned due to bear fur getting in it from contact fire. He cycled it and it worked, but he got chewed up pretty good. Bear ended up dead eventually, but absorbed a lot of lead.
  •  

Colleen_definitely

It's because a hammer could get clothing caught between it and the transfer bar or firing pin.  Unlikely but still something to be mindful of.

And while I do love the Glock 20 and the 10mm auto catridge (that's my bear and lion country carry piece as well), it's still just a pistol.  They can still malfunction and compared to a long arm, they're just not all that powerful.
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on September 24, 2018, 10:46:49 AM
It's because a hammer could get clothing caught between it and the transfer bar or firing pin.  Unlikely but still something to be mindful of.

And while I do love the Glock 20 and the 10mm auto catridge (that's my bear and lion country carry piece as well), it's still just a pistol.  They can still malfunction and compared to a long arm, they're just not all that powerful.
Not enough gun for a bear.

•  

Colleen_definitely

It's definitely not the gun I would carry if I meant to go pick a fight with a bear, but it's a pretty portable and relatively powerful thing to have when I am looking to enjoy nature and avoid them.
  •  

SonadoraXVX

Your brave carrying a pistol in bear country. I travel through bear country,  you'll see me packing a 300 Win Mag, up north, deserts and wide open plains, a 308 or lesser caliber.

I fear mothernature more then I fear man.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".

•  

Dani

Quote from: SonadoraXVX on September 26, 2018, 09:05:42 PM
I fear mothernature more then I fear man.

Yes, but Mothernature is not a criminal. She means well, but she must be respected.  :angel:
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Sometimes I even go on hikes with nothing but a pocket knife.

Do I enjoy danger?  Or do I just like a challenge?  ;)
  •  

SonadoraXVX

No comment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".

•  

Gertrude

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on September 28, 2018, 11:48:03 AM
Sometimes I even go on hikes with nothing but a pocket knife.

Do I enjoy danger?  Or do I just like a challenge?  ;)
I do too, but the worst we have here are coyote, snakes and javalina. I usually hike kilted with a boot knife in my kilt hose. If I ever see a cougar I'll remember to bring my Commander next time. :)

•  

Colleen_definitely

I really miss living in Arizona
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on September 28, 2018, 11:21:11 PM
I really miss living in Arizona
It's great 8 months out of the year.

•  

Colleen_definitely

Mt. Lemmon, Mt. Graham, the White Mountains, and Flagstaff aren't all that far away the other 4 months.

I just need to teach at NAU.
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on September 29, 2018, 10:34:38 AM
Mt. Lemmon, Mt. Graham, the White Mountains, and Flagstaff aren't all that far away the other 4 months.

I just need to teach at NAU.

I have one kid at NAU. I work at ASU. The weather in Flag is nicer when it's hot and sometimes when it's not, but I don't care for Tucson. Been to Lemmon. Crazy road. I wouldn't mind having a place on Lake Mary Rd, but it'll have to wait.

•  

KatieP

Quote from: Gertrude on September 29, 2018, 05:53:37 PM
I have one kid at NAU. I work at ASU. The weather in Flag is nicer when it's hot and sometimes when it's not, but I don't care for Tucson. Been to Lemmon. Crazy road. I wouldn't mind having a place on Lake Mary Rd, but it'll have to wait.

My daughter went to school at NAU, and now works there. seems like a pretty close-knit community, and sometimes a bit closed of a community...

Flagstaff is seriously nice, I think, even when they get 300 inches of snow...

Kate
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: KatieP on September 30, 2018, 02:32:32 PM
My daughter went to school at NAU, and now works there. seems like a pretty close-knit community, and sometimes a bit closed of a community...

Flagstaff is seriously nice, I think, even when they get 300 inches of snow...

Kate
I like flag but it's way overpriced for what it is and there's more lowlifery there than where I live now. Williams is more affordable, but I do like the vibe downtown in flag. In a year, my daughter should be graduating, so I'll have fewer reasons to go there. Some day I'd like to get a cabin/small place near there.

•  

Colleen_definitely

I do love Flagstaff, even with getting "spare changed" in the parking of just about everywhere.  My girlfriend and I visited last year and I can't believe how many breweries are there now.  I drowned my sorrows after many a soul crushing exam at Mother Road and Beaver Street Brewery but now there's a bunch more.  And they're pretty great.

However the competition shooting scene there kind of sucks.  Or it did 4-5 years ago.  There was a USPSA club starting up and the guys running it really tried but they just didn't have the facility needed to succeed.  Of course being able to go out to the cinder fields, hang a gong on a hill and go smack it around from 800+ yards away was always a good time.
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on September 30, 2018, 06:07:28 PM
I do love Flagstaff, even with getting "spare changed" in the parking of just about everywhere.  My girlfriend and I visited last year and I can't believe how many breweries are there now.  I drowned my sorrows after many a soul crushing exam at Mother Road and Beaver Street Brewery but now there's a bunch more.  And they're pretty great.

However the competition shooting scene there kind of sucks.  Or it did 4-5 years ago.  There was a USPSA club starting up and the guys running it really tried but they just didn't have the facility needed to succeed.  Of course being able to go out to the cinder fields, hang a gong on a hill and go smack it around from 800+ yards away was always a good time.
Flag has a higher minimum wage and it's caused prices of lots of stuff to go up, even McDonalds.

•  

Colleen_definitely

Ah the circle of economics. 
  •