Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Planning for travel

Started by Karen, April 03, 2018, 02:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

Hi.   I am not out, and like to take my clothes with me when travel so I can be "me" in other communities.   Any advice on how to plan, pack, handle airport checks, hotels, etc.   

Thanks

Karen
Karen

* felt different like I did not fit, with strong feminine feelings and gender questions my entire life
* Sept 2016 - January 2017 real began to seriously question and research gender
* August 2017 friend explains transgender and gender vs sexual orientation, and immediately felt shock and begin to believe I maybe transgender
* March 2018 after 3 therapists, accepts I am transgender and am transitioning
* July 18, 2018 began HRT
* Feb 4, 2019 began Estrogen
  •  

Jenntrans

No one's business and if the TSA or whoever ask then just tell them you are trans. Even traveling on the roads with all your stuff and they ask why, then be honest. It may suck being totally honest with a stranger or AKA cop but they see everything and nothing surprises them. But trying to make excuses will make them suspicious.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Karen0366 on April 03, 2018, 02:50:05 PM
Hi.   I am not out, and like to take my clothes with me when travel so I can be "me" in other communities.   Any advice on how to plan, pack, handle airport checks, hotels, etc.   

Thanks

Karen

@ Karen:
  Well, regarding airports.... the only bags that TSA will open up in your presence is your carry-on bag.... and so what if it has a mix of female and male clothing, just as long as there aren't items in there that TSA won't allow through security.   
Checked baggage is sometimes opened and inspected but that is down below in the baggage area so what they see in your bag is inconsequential unless there is contraband in your bag.   

Be aware that airlines will only allow a max of 50 lbs per bag, and most will only allow you to check one suitcase and will charge you ($50) for each additional suitcase or bag..   

When traveling in your own vehicle you can obviously pack as little or as much as you care to as long as it fits in your vehicle.  Before I transitioned to full time I had a separate dedicated suit case for my female attire.... you know, lots of shoes, dresses, tops, cosmetics, lingerie, etc.  ... obviously it was the larger bag, the smaller one was for my male attire.   Now than I am full-time, things got a lot easier.
Have a great trip,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

sarah1972

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on April 03, 2018, 03:21:59 PM

@ Karen:
  Well, regarding airports.... the only bags that TSA will open up in your presence is your carry-on bag.... and so what if it has a mix of female and male clothing, just as long as there aren't items in there that TSA won't allow through security.   
Checked baggage is sometimes opened and inspected but that is down below in the baggage area so what they see in your bag is inconsequential unless there is contraband in your bag.   

Be aware that airlines will only allow a max of 50 lbs per bag, and most will only allow you to check one suitcase and will charge you ($50) for each additional suitcase or bag..   

When traveling in your own vehicle you can obviously pack as little or as much as you care to as long as it fits in your vehicle.  Before I transitioned to full time I had a separate dedicated suit case for my female attire.... you know, lots of shoes, dresses, tops, cosmetics, lingerie, etc.  ... obviously it was the larger bag, the smaller one was for my male attire.   Now than I am full-time, things got a lot easier.
Have a great trip,
Danielle
I can only second Danielle's thoughts. For the longest time I was mixing things in my suitcase as well as my carry on. And I got random searches of my luggage too, no one ever even blinked. Past few trips it was all female attire everywhere and male ID, also not an issue.

And yes, Danielle is even more right. I bought a bigger suitcase last week for my upcoming trip. In male mode I could make the same trip with half of the smallest suitcase case and a 5 day trip was two pair of shoes. Now a two day trip requires 5 pair of shoes... Suitcase is now 2 sizes up. It will be a while before this normalizes and I'll start reducing again...

•  

sarah1972

A few minutes before doors are closing and we will take off.

Guess a good time to update this thread:

Fully presenting as female. Both airline staff and security correctly gendered me, even tough my ticket says Mr. And my ID male. Nicely trained!!!

I only took a backpack and purse through security, so the presentation would match my luggage. The 6+ pair of shoes would have been too many ch for carry on.

I have to admit of having TSA Pre & Clear, which makes a ton of things easier. Just funny to see my old picture pop up on the Clear screen....

•