Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Dealing with a transphobic "friend"

Started by manicpixie, March 26, 2018, 11:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manicpixie

So, I rarely make new friends. I'm in the public high school system currently and it's uncomfortable trying to navigate while trans. (I'm also mentally ill which adds a whole other crock of worms to that can.) I have 2-5 friends and they're all really close to me, people I've known for years. I rarely really open up to people, even ones that most would say are my friends.
Recently in my mythology class, I started to open up to a girl named Esme. She seemed pretty cool, she didn't judge me for my mental illnesses and she's has shared experiences. All of this put me fairly at ease. I let her in fairly quickly and after a while, I considered her a close friend.
Then the other day, I was talking about a speech I'd seen at a tournament for the school's forensics team. It was on transphobia and I'd had a crush on the speaker all season, so of course, I started gushing to my new friend. I saw no reason not to.
Halfway through she stops me and insists on knowing my "stance on the transgender movement" and if I am a "lesbian or bi". The second is easy, I give her my canned response of my relationship with gender and sexuality being complicated (which is true). The first seems a little bit fishy though so I ask what hers is first. Better safe than sorry.
She proceeds to go on a long transphobic rant about how dysphoria should be treated like body dysmorphia and we're all just sick and a majority of trans people detransition. (Yikes). There was almost some violent stuff in there too.
Now, she probably doesn't know I'm trans, I didn't say much since I was pretty shaken. I rarely let people in then I do and this is what I get? I felt a little off the rest of the day, and even now I'm not sure how to deal with this. I'm 17 with mostly unsupportive family so I'm not terribly open so I don't deal with this a lot and I'm just not sure how to.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I sit at a socially assigned seat by her table every day until June (the teacher didn't assign it but all hell would break lose if I moved). We also may have group assignments and I'm not sure how to handle this.

TL;DR: A new close friend was super transphobic and now I have to deal with her until June. How do I survive baby's first close-to-home transphobia?
  •  

KathyLauren

Hi, manicpixie!

Welcome to Susan's.

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post.  We usually try to greet new members as soon as they arrive.  I am not sure how we missed you.

I am sorry you had that experience.  Sadly, there are some really nasty people out there.  In a school situation, you don't have a lot of control over whom you socialize with, but your best bet is to try to avoid her as much as you can.  The same goes for any other transphobes you meet.  Avoid getting drawn into dicussions with those people.

Do you have any support?  Do you have a therapist you can talk to, or even a school counsellor?  Having support will make your life a bit easier until you are in a situation where you can safely be yourself.

Please feel free to stop by the Introductions forum to tell the members about yourself.  Here is some information that we like to share with new members:

Things that you should read

2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Jessica

Hi Manicpixie 🙋‍♀️ Welcome to Susan's Place!  I'm Jessica.
It is disheartening when friends turn out to be the people that you should avoid and can't.
There is a awakening slowly happening and one thing that has been instrumental is trans folk being more in the public picture.  That is a very scary thought for most and doesn't always work, depending on where you live. 
Your school most certainly has a policy on discrimination and I'm sure being attack for who you are is not allowed. If you are uncomfortable being around this non-friend, point out to the teacher that find bigotry unacceptable (w/o reveal) in any form.

Kathy has opened the door to Susan's Place for you, the is a introductions forum for younger members.  Here's the link
Youth Introductions

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Jimjam

The best thing you can do is find support and keep in mind that highschool lasts for a short time, if you can't spend anymore time with anyone insist on studing to get some alone time.

I've been through highschool fairly recently  so if you want anymore advice don't be afraid to ask

I hope this helps
  •