Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Hat + wig?

Started by KathyLauren, April 03, 2018, 10:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyLauren

I have to wear wigs most of the time due to MPB.  However, when I am outdoors, I need to wear a hat, because HRT has made my skin prone to melasma (pigmented spots due to sunlight interacting with estrogen).  When I am working in my yard, I wear a hat over my own hair, which works fine: my hair is curly, and what sticks out under the hat looks good.  But it means that I can't take the hat off in public without showing my bald pate.

It would be nice to be able to wear a hat over a wig.  Keeping it on in a breeze, and removing it (either intentionally or accidentally due to said breeze) without losing the wig could be problems.

Anyone have tips or suggestions?  Do I need different sizes of hat for with wig and without?  Do I need to glue the wig on?  If so, what do you use?
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Donna

I tried wearing a hat over my wig just recently and could not take it off with out losing my wig. I don't know what the solution would be. My wife showed me some hats with hair attached so you could wear a hat without all the heat of hair under it. That might work
December 2015 noticed strange feelings moving in
December 2016 started to understand what my body has been telling me all my life, started wearing a bra for comfort full time
Spiro and dutastricide 2017
Mid year 2017 Started dressing and going out shopping etc by myself
October T 14.8 / 456
Came out to my wife in December 2017
January 2018 dressing androgenes and still have face hair
Feb 2018 Dressing full time in female clothing out at work and to friends and family, clean shaven and make up
Living full time March 1 2018
March T 7.4 / 236
April 19th eligard injection, no more Testosterone
June 19th a brand new freshly trained HRT and transgender care doctor for me. Only a one day waiting list to become her patient 😍

[/
  •  

Michelle_P

Kathy, I use wig tape, a double sided hypoallergenic tape with a thick, gooey adhesive that sticks well to things like the lace front on my wigs.  There is a narrow curved strip on my forehead right now that has my wig thoroughly anchored.  I can yank on my hair, and it isn't going anywhere.

I use this and cut the strips in half lengthwise:  https://www.amazon.com/Lace-Curve-Hypo-allergenic-Piece-Adhesive/dp/B00XDQ77CC

You will need a larger hat or adjustable hatband to fit over a wig than on your bare head.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

KathyLauren

Thanks, Michelle and Dona.

So, it looks like I was right about needing to glue it down.  :(  I do have a knitted beret that is big and stretchy enough to wear over my wig in cold weather and cover my ears.  I can remove it by stretching it fully and lifting it off carefully.  But it looks like I will need some of that tape to wear a sun hat.

Donna, the hat with hair attached is a fine idea, but I would like to be able to remove the hat, which I wouldn't be able to do in public if the hair was attached.  For occasions where I don't need to remove the hat, I just use my own hair.  Though I suppose ladies are allowed to wear their hats indoors.  Hmm.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Charlie Nicki

When it comes to this you can get some pointers from drag queens. They usually glue the lacefront down like Michelle said, some of them do it with non toxic glue that works with well with skin instead of tape. And well they do acrobatics on stage, dance, run around, etc...and the wig stays. So it can definitely work on transwomen as well.
Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

Lyric

You can buy special hairpieces designed for wearing under hats. It's usually a line of  hair the runs around the edge just under the hat. Milano Wigs sells a whole line of these, complete with hats, even. You can even get a special one intended to poke through the hole in the back of bill cap.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

MelissaPink

I also have MPB, must  wear wigs and often must wear a hat to protect my skin from the sun's rays. I apologize if this topic has been covered recently but has anyone used any of the commercial hair replacement products (e.g. Hair Club) that you seen on cable infomericals? Even my Paula Young Whisper Lite wigs are hot during our long Tennessee summers.  Any insight or alternatives that anyone can suggest would be much appreciated.  Thanks!
Melissa

U.S. Navy Veteran

"Harm none do what ye will"
  •  

KathyLauren

Updating this topic, I did find a lovely, stylish sun hat that is big enough to fit over my wig.  It stays on, though I haven't tested it in a gale.  It is the perfect thing for hot sunny days.
  •  

MelissaPink

Thanks for the update. That hat looks wonderful on you and compliments your lovely outfit. I adore your look!  :)

Melissa

U.S. Navy Veteran

"Harm none do what ye will"
  •  

Donna

Quote from: KathyLauren on August 01, 2018, 04:18:56 PM
Updating this topic, I did find a lovely, stylish sun hat that is big enough to fit over my wig.  It stays on, though I haven't tested it in a gale.  It is the perfect thing for hot sunny days.

Still love that outfit Kathy.
December 2015 noticed strange feelings moving in
December 2016 started to understand what my body has been telling me all my life, started wearing a bra for comfort full time
Spiro and dutastricide 2017
Mid year 2017 Started dressing and going out shopping etc by myself
October T 14.8 / 456
Came out to my wife in December 2017
January 2018 dressing androgenes and still have face hair
Feb 2018 Dressing full time in female clothing out at work and to friends and family, clean shaven and make up
Living full time March 1 2018
March T 7.4 / 236
April 19th eligard injection, no more Testosterone
June 19th a brand new freshly trained HRT and transgender care doctor for me. Only a one day waiting list to become her patient 😍

[/
  •  

KatieP

Quote from: Michelle_P on April 04, 2018, 01:16:29 AM
Kathy, I use wig tape, a double sided hypoallergenic tape with a thick, gooey adhesive that sticks well to things like the lace front on my wigs.  There is a narrow curved strip on my forehead right now that has my wig thoroughly anchored.  I can yank on my hair, and it isn't going anywhere.

I use this and cut the strips in half lengthwise:  https://www.amazon.com/Lace-Curve-Hypo-allergenic-Piece-Adhesive/dp/B00XDQ77CC

You will need a larger hat or adjustable hatband to fit over a wig than on your bare head.

Hi Michelle,

Can you use this technique with any wig, or does it need to be a specific type, such as Lace front?

Also, how hard is it to get the goopy stuff off your forehead? Do you need the Goo-Be-Gone sort of thing?

Thanks for the info!!

Kate

[Edit] That is a VERY nice outfit. Great job!! A total "Fashion DO!"
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: KatieP on August 01, 2018, 11:41:25 PM
Hi Michelle,

Can you use this technique with any wig, or does it need to be a specific type, such as Lace front?

I've used this with conventional (non lace) wigs that just used the elastic band (sometimes with a silicone anti-slip strip) on the front.  It works well.

Also, how hard is it to get the goopy stuff off your forehead? Do you need the Goo-Be-Gone sort of thing?

The adhesive from the tape so far has never left a residue on my skin, only the tape backing.  Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol will remove traces of it. 
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Tig58072

I wear a bandana over mine. In the winter I wear a stocking cap over the bandana. I wear a helmet when I ride too. You can get them off without dislodging the bandanna. Hold the bandanna tail and grab the hat or helmet from the back and pull it forward. You'll learn the right method.
Its kind of redundant to cover my aftermarket hair but I stay under the radar and I have to have hair. So I put the bandanna on when I'm around people I don't want to know and then remove it when I'm around the locals or by myself.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

LoriDee

With me, it is either/or.

I wear a hat or a wig. My wigs and toppers are held on with clips and wig tape. Check out Walker Tape Co. Highly recommended. But wearing a hat on top of a wig would be too warm in most cases.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

•