Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Nail Polish tips.

Started by Jenntrans, March 01, 2018, 02:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenntrans

Yeah Nail Polish. Who really takes the god awful time to totally shake it? I don't. I shake it a few times and then apply it. but who hasn't opened up their nail polish when it starts getting low and find it so tacky that you can't even apply it smoothly? I have.

This is the cure to add life and smoothness in older nail polish that is way to thick to apply. Add a little nail polish remover to it to thin it out a little. It goes on smoother and with the right amount it will still dry as fast or slow as it did when you first bought it. So don't just throw it away because you can't use it anymore, just thin it out a little. It works wonders.

I am one that if I chip the nail polish then I take it all off and reapply to all fingernails or toenails. I go through a lot of nail polish.
  •  

Jailyn

I just repair the chip by painting back over it. I don't go that far or I just fix the one nail. That is way to much effort to do them all over again.
  •  

zirconia

Hi, Jenntrans

Quote from: Jenntrans on March 01, 2018, 02:35:36 PM
Add a little nail polish remover to it to thin it out a little. It goes on smoother and with the right amount it will still dry as fast or slow as it did when you first bought it. So don't just throw it away because you can't use it anymore, just thin it out a little. It works wonders.

According to a friend who works at a paint manufacturer, thinner is better than acetone because acetone is more likely to interfere with the chemistry of paints/lacquers.

That said, if you only have a little polish left and just want to be able to use the last drops in the bottle it of course may not matter.
  •  

AnneK

Quote from: Jailyn on March 02, 2018, 02:56:55 AM
I just repair the chip by painting back over it. I don't go that far or I just fix the one nail. That is way to much effort to do them all over again.

A damaged area might be a bit rough, if it's the result of damage before the polish has fully set..  I use an emery board to smooth it out first.  It results in a much better repair.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Jenntrans

Quote from: zirconia on March 02, 2018, 06:11:32 AM
Hi, Jenntrans

According to a friend who works at a paint manufacturer, thinner is better than acetone because acetone is more likely to interfere with the chemistry of paints/lacquers.

That said, if you only have a little polish left and just want to be able to use the last drops in the bottle it of course may not matter.

LOL but paint thinner is a little more harsh I would think than Nail polish remover. I had worked for a boat building company way back as a temporary deal and we used Acetone to clean brushes whole adding fiberglass parts to the rails. Don't you need a ventilated area with paint thinner? I never got "high" while removing nail polish even with pure acetone. Of course it may not be a bad idea though. That is just what I figured out.
  •  

Jenntrans

Quote from: Jailyn on March 02, 2018, 02:56:55 AM

Oh no I am kind of a prima donna and like it shiny and smooth. I love the gel coat polish But when I apply and let dry and then apply the second coat and let dry I then add clear nail polish like Sally Hanson Hard as nails. That stuff is tough. I used it after dropping a TV tray on a toenail and when it turned black. Then I had to paint my nails blue or black for a while It never fell off or even broke away and there was a definite gouge or separation when my nail started growing.  If you put two coats of that on it will keep your polish shiny and virtually non chipable or for me yet. To me it don't even feel like regular clear nail polish. It is hard.
  •  

Jin

Never kept any around long enough for it to dry up. With my 20 and my wife's 20 we go through it fast. She likes us to have the came color. If I get a chip, I strip and redo that one nail. If I get two messed up at once, it is time to start over.
My problem is being patient enough to let it cure fully before picking up things!
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.
-- Popeye

A wise person can learn more from fools than a fool can learn from a wise person.
  •  

Jenntrans

Quote from: Jin on March 06, 2018, 06:26:16 PM
Never kept any around long enough for it to dry up. With my 20 and my wife's 20 we go through it fast. She likes us to have the came color. If I get a chip, I strip and redo that one nail. If I get two messed up at once, it is time to start over.
My problem is being patient enough to let it cure fully before picking up things!

LOL me too.
Have you ever tried the gel stuff? I haven't yet. I like changing colors to match my clothing. So easy to put on and easy to take off for me. So far anyway.
  •  

Jin

Wait, the gel is easy off? Holy Rainbow Batman!
We gotta get some and try that.
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam.
-- Popeye

A wise person can learn more from fools than a fool can learn from a wise person.
  •  

Jenntrans

Quote from: Jin on March 15, 2018, 10:48:40 AM
Wait, the gel is easy off? Holy Rainbow Batman!
We gotta get some and try that.

Just make sure you try different brands though. Some are easier than others. Some Sally Hanson stuff you don't need two coats. Most Revlon that I have I do. Same with some Covergirl.

I will say that I have always had good results with Sally Hanson though. Usually one smooth easy coat covers good. I let it dry and it shines. It is not hard to get off but I have to usually go back over my nails with nail polish remover at least once and use a cotton ball for each nail the first time and two for all 20 nails the second time.
  •  

Lucy Ross

I bought a grab bag of used bottles of polish and put them in close to boiling water to loosen things back up.  Seems to have worked although I only change colors once a week - it's just the toes for me for the time being.
1982-1985 Teenage Crossdresser!
2015-2017 Middle Aged Crossdresser!  Or...?
April 2017 Electrolysis Time  :icon_yikes:
July 12th, 2017 Started HRT  :icon_chick:
  •  

Melanie Jean

There are pros and cons for both laquer and gel. The former is convenient for frequent change ups, but won't last more than a week, while the latter is tougher and will outlast anything else, both in shine and brilliance, but is more difficult to remove and takes a bit more prep work.

I sometimes go to a salon to have my nails done - mani and pedi - but always get gel when the pros do it. I get lazy, so the only thing I have to think about is when to shedule my next appt. I the summer, when I'm in differing moods, I'll revert to doing my own using different colors. :)

BTW, I like CND Vinylux best (tons of colors, goes on smooth, and has great lasting qualities). I also snip half the brush (bristles) to give me more control (when the color runs low, I tilt the bottle slightly which works for me). I also find that when new, I give the bottle a good shake - a few minutes worth - and find that the bottle only needs a quick shake (or roll) before use. Rarely does a bottle get old enough to be thinned, and NEVER with acetone (not a proper mix, plus it dries too quickly).

Love to all.

~Melanie
Love to all.

~Melanie

•