Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Audiophiles? Clearing out the house clutter. Emotional baggage anyone?

Started by D'Amalie, January 16, 2024, 02:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenn104

I am a hard core dead head. I saw the Grateful Dead 85 or 90 times between the late 70s and late 80s. Both coasts. I have friends who claimed that I could be seen in one of the officially released New Years Eve videos. I have never cared to watch it.

I would give details of the madcap fun of touring with the dead, but if you remember the 80s and touring you cannot have been there.

More seriously I have wondered on and off if the hardcore life style was my coping mechanism for dysphoria. For another time perhaps..

Jenn
"I want to be remembered as a woman ... who dared to be a catalyst of change."
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

D'Amalie

A true Deadhead!  Pleased to meet you, ma'am.

I do a car show with the family every year at Cache Valley Fairgrounds, the Cache Valley Cruis In (its been running over 40 years.)  thre three day event runs a concert the evening of the middle day.  Last year's featured band was the Beach Boys, not a bad show.  Jon Stamos was guest performing.  My family had to fill me in since he was a General Hopital heartthrob, or so they said  ::)

Rod Stewart was the most energetic performer I've seen live.  I'd love to have seen Freddy Mercury back in the day  ;)

One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

REM.1126

Andreas Vollenweider probably put on the best concert I have seen.  Honestly, I was shocked.  I took my wife because she was a fan.  I was totally blown away. 

One of the most impressive things about it was when he came on stage and said:  "If you came here hoping to hear some of your favorite music from the CD's, I am sorry.  We won't be playing any songs from the CD's.  There will be phrases borrowed from albums, but tonight will be entirely improvised.  No one has ever heard what you will hear tonight before, and it will never be performed again." 

And, even though it wasn't rehearsed, it was all just improvised, it sounded great!
  •  

Jenn104

Quote from: D'Amalie on January 23, 2024, 03:26:53 PMA true Deadhead!  Pleased to meet you, ma'am.

I do a car show with the family every year at Cache Valley Fairgrounds, the Cache Valley Cruis In (its been running over 40 years.)  thre three day event runs a concert the evening of the middle day.  Last year's featured band was the Beach Boys, not a bad show.  Jon Stamos was guest performing.  My family had to fill me in since he was a General Hopital heartthrob, or so they said  ::)

Rod Stewart was the most energetic performer I've seen live.  I'd love to have seen Freddy Mercury back in the day  ;)

Nice to stop by and meet you as well.

A few other shows I can remember and enjoyed include --

The 80s and early 90s version of Santana. They had all those drums up on stage and the visuals are striking in my head. I was at one of the Talking Heads "stop making sense" shows.. insanely good stuff. I've seen the B52s a few times, there were a good take too. Raucus fun. Violent Femmes long ago and recently-- maybe the most honest band I've seen beyond my beloved Grateful Dead. Maybe even more honest and a kick butt band to get up and dance along with. Fun crowd. I saw U2 but don't remember much beyond Bono can sing and their guitar playing annoyed me at the time.

hmmm

Cindy Lauper twice. She got a set of pipes and is a huge ally to the LGBTQ community. mediocre show but fascinating person. Ziggy Marley was probably a better show than I remember. I mean I went to a pot fest and a concert broke out.

Oh hey.. and my ex dragged me to Tina Turner's good bye show in the 90s. Weird contrast to what I'd normally see. She had trouble dancing in sync with the pre-canned video but could sing.  I mean sing. Plus she had legs. and an awesome life story.

I have a few on the dislike list but am gonna politely refrain, thank you.

:)

~Jenn
"I want to be remembered as a woman ... who dared to be a catalyst of change."
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

Jessica_K

Quote from: Jenn104 on January 24, 2024, 06:38:29 AMOh hey.. and my ex dragged me to Tina Turner's good bye show in the 90s. Weird contrast to what I'd normally see. She had trouble dancing in sync with the pre-canned video but could sing.  I mean sing. Plus she had legs. and an awesome life story.

~Jenn
I saw the 1987 Tina Turner concert at Wembley arena where she had Eric Clapton on stage to play their duet "Tearing us Apart" Now that was an amazing show.

And another concert story. In the 70's a uni friend found that he had a spare ticket to Frank Zapper and the Mothers" show again at the Wembley Arena. He gave it to me, so we went together. Not sure if it was really my thing, never really knew as I fell asleep through most of the concert lol

Hugs
Xxx
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

**** No act of kindness goes unpunished ****

•  

D'Amalie

Quote from: REM.1126 on January 23, 2024, 09:59:38 PMAndreas Vollenweider probably put on the best concert I have seen.  Honestly, I was shocked.  I took my wife because she was a fan.  I was totally blown away. 

I'm a bit green!  That is the pinnacle of talent and entertainment!  My intro to that acoustic harp was via The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.  I thought it was exhilarating! 

Thanks for the Memories...oh, wait!  That was Bob Hope.
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

davina61

Right I have one Chicken Tikka masala recipe, this book tells you the origins of the recipes and this says "outpost-Britain" anyways sharpen your pencil and get a large note pad.
Serves 4 (so it says)
6 boned chicken thighs skinned about 675g in total
juice of 2 limes
1 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
2 shallots roughly chopped
4 large garlic cloves roughly chopped
4cm fresh ginger root chopped
2 green chillies deseeded and chopped
125g Greek style yogurt
1/2 tsp garam masala
1tbsp veg oil

sauce
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 rounded tsp tomato puree
handful chopped coriander leaves
3cm ginger root grated
1tsp lime juice
1/2 tsp castor sugar
50g unsalted butter
125ml single cream

recipe
1 cut the chicken thighs into3cm chunks, combine the lime juice and paprika and mix with the chicken. Roast and grind the cumin and coriander seeds.
2 put the shallots, garlic, ginger and chillies in a food processor, drain the lime juice and paprika from the chicken and add, process till smooth. Tip into a bowl and stir in the yogurt, garam masala and add 1/2 the coriander and cumin powder.
3 pour the spice mix over the chicken turning every bit so evenly coated, cover with cling film and marinade overnight in the fridge, if possible stir a few times.
4 pre heat the grill with pan in place to hottest setting
5 Take the chicken out of the marinade and arrange on the hot grill pan, drizzle with the oil and grill for 5mins each side or till chard on edges, Pour any cooking juice into a bowl and skim of any fat. Keep chicken warm while you make the sauce
6 Combine the tomatoes, tomato puree, coriander leaves, lime juice, sugar and remaining cumin and coriander powder in a blender and blend till smooth. Heat the butter in a pan and when melted add the tomato mix and cream, bring to a simmer then strain in the reserved cooking juices and add chicken. reheat and serve with Indian breads.

Well I hope you try this as my fingers are falling off from typing!!
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: D'Amalie

REM.1126

Someone at the weather channel was a huge fan.  Other than our CD's, the weather channel was the main place I heard Andreas. 

In addition to the wonderful, collaborative riffing, at times they would turn off all the lights and people in black with glowing objects would move around in ways that were dazzling.  It's been done a lot since, but that was the first time I saw it done (circa 1990).
  •  

D'Amalie

Quote from: davina61 on January 25, 2024, 10:40:33 AMWell I hope you try this as my fingers are falling off from typing!!

Right!  Well done, You!  Music to our palates!  Gastronomical music!

Thanks ever so much.  I'm off to market this afternoon to fill the ingredients list!  Already have 3/4s of them.  I'd have to use confectioners sugar even though its a bit finer than castor.  Easier to find in the States, yet not critically different since we aren't baking a confection or doing a pudding.  But I also use Stevia extract or Swerve in cooking. 

I'd bet one could substitute harder veggies for the chicken, yes?  My Daughter and daughter-in-law are both vegitatians.  Son and wife coming for dinner Sunday.  I'll do two half batches!  Super!  I've not found a substituion for the rice though.  I'll have it for my guests, but don't eat the heavy carbs myself.  The tomatoes are heavy in natural sugars too.  Not sure how to counteract or substitute.  I only have 20-30 carbs daily.  I don't mind feeding those that can have them though!
  •  

davina61

You can use tofu or pannier (Indian cheese ) just toast it and add it at the end.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •