Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

I despise dresses

Started by JanineTheGamer, April 12, 2018, 12:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyLauren

I seldom wear dresses.  OK, never, so far.  I love skirts, and wear them a lot in the summer.  In winter, it's pants.  I love how I look in skinny jeans.

Back to dresses, though.  I find it's a problem to get something that fits a trans woman's body shape: broad shoulders, small boobs, and narrow hips.  I have a couple that didn't look too bad in the store, but I haven't had an occasion where I would feel comfortable wearing them.  I just recently found one with a flared skirt.  Now, that one looked good, and may be the fist one I wear out "in the wild".
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

SammyHatesGreenEggs

For me, it depends on the occasion.  As mentioned by someone else earlier, I try to be more cognizant of shaving my legs when wearing dresses/skirts as opposed to jeans/pants.

For work, I plan to generally wear pants.  For casual social stuff, I'm 50/50 between jeans/skirts, and for going out, I definitely prefer dresses.

Ultimately though, I think someone should wear whatever they like best, without worrying about anything beyond that.

And to follow up on comments from others, Rachel you look great in that dress. #transitiongoals :)
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: KathyLauren on April 14, 2018, 09:01:15 AM
I seldom wear dresses.  OK, never, so far.  I love skirts, and wear them a lot in the summer.  In winter, it's pants.  I love how I look in skinny jeans.

Back to dresses, though.  I find it's a problem to get something that fits a trans woman's body shape: broad shoulders, small boobs, and narrow hips.  I have a couple that didn't look too bad in the store, but I haven't had an occasion where I would feel comfortable wearing them.  I just recently found one with a flared skirt.  Now, that one looked good, and may be the fist one I wear out "in the wild".
I second that about finding dresses that hang right on me.  Being 6'3" it also makes some shorter than I'd like and throws off balance, usually waist is too high.  I'm also top heavy (not in the good way) which messes with fit.  I have found a couple that do work and in the winter I wear them with leggings sometimes. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•  

Stephanie Vaughan

Quote from: JanineTheGamer on April 12, 2018, 12:16:48 AM
That may seem strange. The first time I dressed up, it was an ugly yellow thing, which may have ruined my perception of dresses. Even imagining myself with breasts, a pixie cut and curves, I never could see myself in one. Is that strange?
Clothing and styling are such personal things, when I made the decision to transition almost two years ago I had no idea what I was going to like, what would fit or what I would look acceptable in but a very good friend arranged foe me to go to a ladies shop in the next town to try some things on. She closed her shop for the afternoon for me, put rails across the door and I spent the whole afternoon trying stuff on. She taught me a bit about makeup and accessories and at first I felt pretty uncomfortable standing in the middle of the shop in my underwear but as she picked out things for me to try it became like a fairy tale. I so enjoyed myself and ended up buying lots of clothes. She gave me lots of old stock, accessories and even some jewellery. I have a great number of dresses which I love but also love jeans and tee shirts especially white jeans. There is no doubt that your style changes over time, at this moment I can't get my head around skirts, I don't find them comfortable at all but will persevere!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  •  

Briah

I was always jealous of women for the clothing choices that they enjoyed (and at times hated).  I am not out except to my wife so don't get to dress like I would like.  Still I have one dress that I love but I really need to lose a bit of weight to look good in it.  Bigger boobs wouldn't hurt either.  I love skirts, especially long flared skirts.  I love the freedom that I feel with them. 

On the other hand, dresses and skirts are not practical when you are active with a chain saw in the woods.  I can think of several other situations where a dress or skirt is not really practical. 

If I do go full time at some point I suspect that being a hold over of the 60's I am likely to go with the "aging" hippie look with skirts and tops most of the time.  I love the skirts and the look.
  •  

barbie

I keep a bunch of dresses, and most of them are wrap dresses. Some of them look like two pieces, but actually one piece.

I love dresses.

Nearly everyday I wear dresses, because they are as much comfortable as sleeping gown. Actually I use my dresses as both outfit and sleeping gown, especially while I travel.

Yes. Nowadays, young women here tend to prefer skinny jeans but still some of them do wear dresses. I have seen many aged women wearing dresses in international conferences abroad, especially in summer.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

KarynMcD

Quote from: JanineTheGamer on April 12, 2018, 12:16:48 AM
That may seem strange. The first time I dressed up, it was an ugly yellow thing, which may have ruined my perception of dresses. Even imagining myself with breasts, a pixie cut and curves, I never could see myself in one. Is that strange?

It's not strange.
I used to look like a "man in a dress" and never really liked it.
Now I look like a "pretty girl in a dress."

I still have broad shoulders, but everything else hides that fact and guys usually aren't looking at my shoulders.

•  

Gertrude

Quote from: Cassi on April 13, 2018, 10:32:38 AM
Aren't they wool and HOT?
Depends. "Goth" kilts and utility kilts are usually made from a cotton material or blend. They don't have as much material as a traditional kilt either. I have 3 traditional kilts, two 8 yarders in pv and one 8 yarder in wool. What makes the difference is the yardage and wool or cloth weight. An 8 yard with 16oz wool will be a bitch in the summer. 12-13oz wool is a lot better. The female dance tartans tend to be lighter, line 10-11oz and not nearly as much material. Some go regimental, but I don't like that. I get sticky balls that way. Anyway, if more guys knew how comfortable kilts are, you'd see them all the time. Also, there are sport kilts that have tartan patterns in light weight sport fabrics, but I don't have one yet. Those are great for summer. Some of the military kilts had 18-22oz wool. Man, that had to suck in hot weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Briah on April 16, 2018, 02:48:25 PM
I was always jealous of women for the clothing choices that they enjoyed (and at times hated).  I am not out except to my wife so don't get to dress like I would like.  Still I have one dress that I love but I really need to lose a bit of weight to look good in it.  Bigger boobs wouldn't hurt either.  I love skirts, especially long flared skirts.  I love the freedom that I feel with them. 

On the other hand, dresses and skirts are not practical when you are active with a chain saw in the woods.  I can think of several other situations where a dress or skirt is not really practical. 

If I do go full time at some point I suspect that being a hold over of the 60's I am likely to go with the "aging" hippie look with skirts and tops most of the time.  I love the skirts and the look.
Get a utility kilt in duck like Carhart. They make them.

•  

Evienne

I personally love them, but what I like doesn't matter to what you like. Even so though I don't often wear them as much as I want  :icon_tears:

But I would conclude it's either totally possible you just don't like them which makes plenty sense,
or
you just haven't found the right dress yet  :laugh:
I hereby sign this message to the understanding that it is what I said. You, the viewer, thus adhere to the adhering of this message to have been adhered.

Ticking Time bomb: 533 days
  •  

MaryT

I love dresses but I don't even own one now, except for a nightie.  Truthfully, I looked like a blob when wearing them.  On the few occasions that I was brave enough to venture out into the world wearing a dress, I told myself that many women are also shapeless.

I recently joked to someone that nowadays, only transgender women wear dresses.  A poor joke and a great exaggeration, although cis women seem to wear them more for work than for leisure (except for very short ones on Friday nights).  There may be some truth in it, though.  I recently watched an old episode of "Last of the Summer Wine" in which the old men wanted one of their number to cross-dress (just a coincidence).  In Auntie Wainwright's shop, Truly said "We're looking for something cheap in a frock".  Auntie replied "There used to be a lot but now they wear jeans".

I am shopping around for women's clothes in the charity shops, but I had better stick to slacks or, if I get brave enough, culottes.
  •  

Laurel D

Quote from: MaryT on April 21, 2018, 06:35:49 AM
I love dresses but I don't even own one now, except for a nightie.  Truthfully, I looked like a blob when wearing them.  On the few occasions that I was brave enough to venture out into the world wearing a dress, I told myself that many women are also shapeless.

I recently joked to someone that nowadays, only transgender women wear dresses.  A poor joke and a great exaggeration, although cis women seem to wear them more for work than for leisure (except for very short ones on Friday nights).  There may be some truth in it, though.  I recently watched an old episode of "Last of the Summer Wine" in which the old men wanted one of their number to cross-dress (just a coincidence).  In Auntie Wainwright's shop, Truly said "We're looking for something cheap in a frock".  Auntie replied "There used to be a lot but now they wear jeans".

I am shopping around for women's clothes in the charity shops, but I had better stick to slacks or, if I get brave enough, culottes.
Your correct, many women are pretty shapeless in a skirt or a dress. ( You can toy with the type of dress though to get a pho-shape or you can wear a pencil skirt and make that problem worse. Being that I am a big gal. I wouldn't even attempt to wear certain dresses or skirts.)

Dresses are not common attire in the Pacific Northwest ( which is where I live.), except for special occasions or for work. I do see a lot of skirts. ( And leggings because it's still cold.) But mostly jeans (Which suits me just fine, because I own way more jeans than I do of anything else.)

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
  •  

MaryT

Quote from: Laurel D on April 21, 2018, 11:38:37 AM

Dresses are not common attire in the Pacific Northwest ( which is where I live.), except for special occasions or for work. I do see a lot of skirts.

If I get away with culottes, I may progress to a pleated skirt.  I think that to an extent, pleats hide body shape.
  •  

Galyo

I like them, but I'm fairly tall, which means that oftentimes when I wear a dress, it's going to cut off *just* near my crotch. I hate that. The last think I need is for me to go public and have strangers peek at my crotch. For that reason I barely wear actual dresses.

Maybe if someday all the stars allign and I can afford custom clothes, I'll get more into wearing them.
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: Galyo on April 21, 2018, 04:01:01 PM
I like them, but I'm fairly tall, which means that oftentimes when I wear a dress, it's going to cut off *just* near my crotch. I hate that. The last think I need is for me to go public and have strangers peek at my crotch. For that reason I barely wear actual dresses.

Maybe if someday all the stars allign and I can afford custom clothes, I'll get more into wearing them.
EShakti or Sumissura.

•  

Galyo

Quote from: Gertrude on April 21, 2018, 08:20:01 PM
EShakti or Sumissura.

I'll have a look at that, thanks!
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: Galyo on April 21, 2018, 04:01:01 PM

Im 6'3" and get that a lot also, but not always.  Tried one on recently and that's what I got.  Could have been worn over leggings but not what I was looking for. 

Old Navy has tall sizes (on line only) that have fit me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•  

Susan H

Most of my friends who are cis-women wear jeans and a t-shirt, or jeans and a blouse.
Personally I'd rather wear a skirt and top. Like some have said already dresses can be disproportional on me (I'm bigger on top than on the bottom. I do try to dress my age though, with hemlines that are well below the knee.
  •  

Zoe_Kay

I love dresses and wear one almost every day!  I think the dress is the perfect garment for the human body and that everyone should be free to wear one.

But if its not your thing, that is ok too!  :)
"To grow, you must be willing to let your present and future be totally unlike your past. Your history is not your destiny." ~ Alan Cohen
  •  

Tara P

Yeah it's definitely a lot easier for me to find a seperate top that works with a skirt than a full dress that works as a couple people already mentioned.  I love the look of them it's just hard to find one that works for me between the hips/chest proportions and just overall length being too short.  I'm tall and larger sizes are too wide.

If I won the lottery I'd love some custom dresses, but I think you have to buy a ticket first or something.

Not liking dresses is pretty common though.  Plenty of other women don't really care for them either.  We all have our own styles.   :)
  •