Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Hello, it's me ... I didn't really expect to be here ...

Started by AnnMarie2017, February 20, 2018, 12:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnMarie2017

Since I became comfortable publicly presenting female, three things have held me back from going full-time: my wig, my wardrobe and my boss. My wig and I are working through our love-hate relationship; my wardrobe is pitiful, but workable; but my boss ... Now, that was a problem.

I work in the hospitality industry and deal extensively with the public, and my boss is from a different, more conservative culture. When I first suspected I might be trans, I asked him in an email if he would have any objection to my getting my ears pierced. He responded to the other matters in my email and ignored this question completely. So, when I next saw him, I asked him directly. He looked noticeably uncomfortable, and asked me, "Why?" in a tone of voice that spoke volumes. I dealt with it by reminding him that men in America get their ears pierced, too; and I got his assent. But the manner of his response guided my thinking on the subject of coming out on the job and to him personally.

For this reason, my boss was the last person I came out to. By the time I did, I had already begun using my new name at work; but we rarely saw each other, and the subject wasn't raised. He continued to call me by my old name. What forced the issue was my legal name change. Once I did that, he *had* to be told directly; there are tax consequences for both of us.

According to what I could glean second-hand, things looked like they were going to go south; and I started applying for other jobs. I was then told that he wanted a meeting on  Monday, February 12th, at his office at another business he owns. I arrived early. The witness/3rd party in the room was a manager at this other business – an ally, with a trans nephew.

The conflict I had been expecting never materialized. There had been significant miscommunication. To make a long story short, my boss accepted the situation completely, advised me to tell him if I experienced any discrimination by other employees, and began using my new name and the right pronouns. :) He did ask me if I planned to wear a dress to work, and stammered as he tried to get the question out; I took from that that he would have a hard time with that, and reassured him that my feminized male attire was something I could live with. At the time, I was wearing what I wear to work and showed him. So far, so good.

This morning, the assistant manager here, another ally, told me that he had asked her, "Why doesn't Ann dress as a woman?" or words to that effect. My mouth hung open; you could have knocked me over with a feather. Permission. :D

As soon as I got home, I made coffee, started breakfast and then got on the internet. It's President's Day, and there are *sales*. I eventually made it to JC Penney minutes after it opened; and, before too long, I was the proud owner of three copies of the same drab, black skirt that, unfortunately, corporate requires its female employees to wear.

And here I am. At work for about an hour. Only one strange look so far. (I did get a giggle out of a teenage girl at Walmart when I stopped there on the way to work, but that doesn't count.) The real challenge is going to be the Mexican work crews. Too bad I don't speak Spanish – or maybe that's a good thing.

Now that I'm here in my wig and my skirt, wearing makeup on the job for the first time, there's no going back. This occurred to me as I was getting ready for work; this is a door that shuts behind me once I pass through it. This realization gave me pause, momentarily. But I had no choice, really. It had to be done.

I didn't expect full-time to happen this way.

Ann has arrived. I'm still in shock, actually. I think I feel exactly as Bilbo must have felt when Gandalf hurried him out of his hobbit hole with no time to grab a handkerchief -- running down the road to adventure, only half-knowing what I'm doing.
  •  

Jessica

I'm so happy for you Ann.  I was wondering if you had gotten a new job or if what happened actually happened.
Its great that you don't need that ring had that made Bilbo invisible.  Ann is here!

Happy hug, Jessica

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

kaitylynn

Welcome Sister!  It is heartening to hear of positive experiences when it comes to work.  Remember, any hard days are not a fixed point and you will be ok.  I remember when I shifted everything over at work with an expectation of disaster...instead being met with support and encouragement from some that I thought would never accept me.

That was over a year ago and it has been so awesome to finally just be me in an area of my life that had me up at night with knots in my stomach.

<3
Katherine Lynn M.

You've got a light that always guides you.
You speak of hope and change as something good.
Live your truth and know you're not alone.

The restart - 20-Oct-2015
Legal name and gender change affirmed - 27-Sep-2016
Breast Augmentation (Dr. Gupta) - 27-Aug-2018
  •  

Faith

congratulations. I am so happy for you. I do 100% feminine attire at work, no dresses or skirts. I'm just not there yet. I'm my only obstacle.

It's so wonderful to hear of others making their forward steps.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

Bari Jo

Ann, that is a great story, and coming from a conservative boss, is a shock too.  My current workplace is supporting me fully, although I have not come out to my coworkers yet.  Mgmt and he all know though.  I am still friends with my previous employers and frequently meet with them socially.  So far that's the group I'm most worried about, conservative and religious.  Eventually they will know!  Your success gives me hope.

Bari Jo
you know how far the universe extends outward? i think i go inside just as deep.

10/11/18 - out to the whole world.  100% friends and family support.
11/6/17 - came out to sister, best day of my life
9/5/17 - formal diagnosis and stopping DIY in favor if prescribed HRT
6/18/17 - decided to stop fighting the trans beast, back on DIY.
Too many ups and downs, DIY, purges of self inbetween dates.
Age 10 - suppression and denial began
Age 8 - knew I was different
  •