Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Recreational Math

Started by 4A-GZE, August 20, 2018, 08:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4A-GZE

Is anyone else here into math? I love learning about different numbers and theorems and stuff. One of my life goals is to help solve the Collatz conjecture. I just feel like we're so close.

But anyway, my favorite number is 34. This was decided long before I got interested in math, though, so it's not terribly interesting. It is, however, the lowest number whose neighbors have the same number of factors as it. So that's cool, I guess.

But what about you? Anyone else here just fascinated by numbers?
  •  

GingerVicki

Yup. I like math and have too much time on my hands. I started on Khan Academy about one month ago and it's hard to believe how much I've forgotten. Especially considering that a few years ago I was doing AP Stats. It is coming back fast. In the World of Math mission I am at 42%.

If anyone else is interested here is a list of unsolved math problems https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unsolved_problems_in_mathematics
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: 4A-GZE on August 20, 2018, 08:49:31 AM
Is anyone else here into math? I love learning about different numbers and theorems and stuff. One of my life goals is to help solve the Collatz conjecture. I just feel like we're so close.

But anyway, my favorite number is 34. This was decided long before I got interested in math, though, so it's not terribly interesting. It is, however, the lowest number whose neighbors have the same number of factors as it. So that's cool, I guess.

But what about you? Anyone else here just fascinated by numbers?

@4A-GZE
It's funny....  I just read your posting after earlier this morning checking on one of my old college email accounts and there was a message from a previous undergrad student giving me an update on herself. 
I was a grad-student then and I was a tutor for the Mathematics Department and she was one of several of my students that I have kept track of through the years.   The old adage that females are less adept at math is a fallacy in my opinion...  many of the advanced math students that I tutored have moved on to advance themselves in careers that utilize their mathematics degrees, the females included.

I earned an MBA with emphasis in Economics and also Statistical Analysis... and an additional degree in Mathematics..   Presently I operate a Financial Advisor business and I use my math skills daily, although usually not the heavy stuff such as "Combinatorics" "Probability" "Statistics" "Game Theory" "Differential Equations" etc that I so enjoyed as I earned my Masters in Math.  The old adage that "you will lose it if you don't use it" is always on my mind so I try to keep my advanced math skills sharpened by communicating with and working problems with my, now older, like-minded college friends.

***How about telling me more about yourself and your math experiences.
Thanks for posting, it is nice to see another math aficionado here on the forums.
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

GingerVicki

My degree is in accounting which certainly does not require a math major. My dream was to be an actuary. I guess it's not too late.
  •  

KatieP

MATH!! This is almost as fun as the Reading/Books thread!

Math was one of my undergraduate majors too, and my Masters is in Computer Science, which at the Univ of CA was totally a math degree. The PhD work was all in distributed database theory, which was the start of my math decline.  ;D

So, while I still LOVE math, and thinking in that way, my skills have diminished to the point of a good High School student. <S> (I taught HS Math for a few years so I have an idea of what good HS students can do...  ;D )

Speaking of favorite numbers, I remember laughing for a long time watching Sheldon describe why 73 was the perfect number.

Kate
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Dear Math nerds:
This is an old worn out math joke meme....
.....but I always chuckle when I see it....

Danielle (another Math Nerd)
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Sarah1979

I keep meaning to get seriously into maths, but currently I'm limited to watching numberphile on youtube all the time lol.
  •  

GordonG

I loved all my math classes in school and was often in the advanced classes.  When I took a bunch of tests when I was a senior in high school,  they told me that I should be a math professor.  But I had no interest in that.  I could never decide what I wanted to be as a career.  Now looking back I should have been an actuary. 
I'm a gender confused guy who lives an hour north of Seattle.
I believe that I was influenced by DES. I have crossdressed in public a handful of times, see avatar picture (enhanced with FaceApp).
I don't plan on transitioning, no GRS, FFS, nor BA.
I consider myself TransFeminine. But reserve the right to change my mind at any time.  ;D

Spironolactone; 7-16-2018
E sublinguals; 10-5-2018
Orchi; 2-15-19
No more Spiro. 

•  

4A-GZE

Quote from: Sarah1979 on August 27, 2018, 05:33:38 PM
I keep meaning to get seriously into maths, but currently I'm limited to watching numberphile on youtube all the time lol.
Numberphile is my absolute favorite thing on the internet!
  •  

KathyLauren

I was a major math nerd in high school and won a couple of provincial math competitions.  I used to read Martin Gardner's Mathematical Games column in Scientific American religiously.  I'm a little rusty now. 

I did my BSc in computer science and ended up in IT as a career, but I didn't actually use much of my math skills there.

My main hobby these days is astronomy / astrophotography, and there is quite a bit of math involved in the optics.  Nothing hard, but it boggles my mind that most people don't understand it.  So I make a point of pointing out the mathematical relationships, and I have been known to post "Do the math!!" in response to questions.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

JudiBlueEyes

One of my degrees is in Accounting and when younger I struggled with Math.  But I realized that math is involved in everything we do!  With that realization I turned around my education.  I still struggle with scientific math as I don't use it.  I love Numberphile as well. 

Danielle, I love the joke!  Classic.
But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
  •  

Sarah1979

This topic has reminded me that I have to renew my mathematica subscription :D
  •  

Sarah1979

Quote from: 4A-GZE on August 27, 2018, 06:15:10 PM
Numberphile is my absolute favorite thing on the internet!

BTW, I had to ask this... is it just me or is Matt Parker super sexy or what?
  •  

SonadoraXVX

Reminds me to brush up  and advance my math and physics skills so I can understand newer cryptocurrency algorithms.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".

•  

Kylo

I'm fascinated by how awful I am with numbers. If it's possible to be dyslexic with numbers, I think I have it.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Denice

I was doing math as a hobby several years ago. I was working the night shift at a nursing home as a CNA. I usually had a few hours of down time every shift so I was teaching myself calculus. I was making progress then I started working some place else. More money, less free time.
I'm a man. I like being a man. I also love wearing women's clothing. It's my way to show honor, respect and solidarity with them.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

"4/3 of the people on earth do not truly understand fractions."

Ha.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •