Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Questioning potential MTF

Started by Lucca, May 06, 2018, 01:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucca

Hi, I'm a 25 year old current male who's considering doing an MTF transition eventually. I've gone most of my life being pretty unsatisfied with my appearance and social role as a man, as well as general anxiety and depression issues, but never really thought about or considered transitioning until early this year when I suddenly had a bit of a mental breakdown and experienced some very strong feelings of gender dysphoria. This lasted for about two months, during which time I saw some therapists about it and some other issues, then it largely subsided and I decided to focus on some of my other problems before considering a transition as a solution, during which time I've started taking an anti-anxiety medication. It's been helping me a lot and I haven't been nearly as anxious about making long-term decisions as I used to be, so I'm back to considering whether I should transition or not.

If nothing else, I'm planning to get laser-hair removal for my entire neck and beard area regardless of whether I transition, because I have very sensitive skin and shaving of any kind really tears it up; I'm usually bleeding in a couple spots and have some razor burn every day, no matter what combination of razor types and shaving creams/gels I use, and I've experimented quite a lot. I've never had any desire to grow out my facial hair in the ten years I've had any, and I don't like the stubble or grayish tint that I can't seem to completely get rid of either, so I'm just fed up with it and want it completely gone. Luckily, I have very dark hair on top of very light skin, which is supposedly the easiest to get rid of with laser, and I've saved up more than enough that I can easily pay for it out of pocket.

I'm also going to try to grow my hair out long, regardless of whether I transition, and I'm also going to go on Accutane soon at the behest of my dermatologist since I have a pretty bad acne problem which is only getting worse with age, so by the time I make a decision I'll hopefully already have long hair and relatively smooth, clear skin, which would make it a lot easier to transition instead of starting from nothing. And if I don't, that's my preferred male look anyway.

So, I figure I'll think about it for one to two years while I get my health and appearance in order, and consider my options. I've been lurking since the beginning of the year and this seems like such a welcoming community, I thought this would be a good place to ask questions and figure things out.

As for pronouns, let's try female ones and see how they work out, I picked a feminine name after all.
  •  

Donna

Hello Lucca , nice name by the way
This sounds like a first step and you have to do it your way. At least you have identified your possible self early. Lots of us don't or we hide it very well. You start making the changes you talk about and it may just be enough to help you truly identify your true self.
Keep us posted and best wishes and good luck for your future ma'am.
December 2015 noticed strange feelings moving in
December 2016 started to understand what my body has been telling me all my life, started wearing a bra for comfort full time
Spiro and dutastricide 2017
Mid year 2017 Started dressing and going out shopping etc by myself
October T 14.8 / 456
Came out to my wife in December 2017
January 2018 dressing androgenes and still have face hair
Feb 2018 Dressing full time in female clothing out at work and to friends and family, clean shaven and make up
Living full time March 1 2018
March T 7.4 / 236
April 19th eligard injection, no more Testosterone
June 19th a brand new freshly trained HRT and transgender care doctor for me. Only a one day waiting list to become her patient 😍

[/
  •  

Dena

Welcome to Susan's Place. It sounds like you have a plan and are ready to ask for information as you need it. In reading your post, I picked up on something that while not common you should be aware of. Accutane in some cases can cause suicidal thought. If you experience these, discuss it with your doctor and get off the medication as soon as possible. There is one other way to deal with your skin issues. The HRT package normally consists of a Testosterone blocker which can do wonders for your skin. My T levels weren't suppressed until I was 30 and had surgery, but it greatly helped my skin. I occasionally still get a pimple but it's far better than before. Should you decide to move HRT earlier in your plan, this could be an alternative.

Things that you should read

Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Devlyn

"Questioning potential MTF"

Ve haf vays of making you talk.   :laugh:

Hi Lucca, welcome to Susan's Place! Get busy posting and I'll be seeing you around the site.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Alyssa Bree

Hi Lucca!

While we all seem to have that one big thing in common, everybody's path to get there is unique and extremely personal. Best wishes to you and hope to see you around!!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Alyssa
Your NEEDS drive your WANTS which drive your ACTIONS. To not take action is to not meet your needs.

I am like an archaeological excavation - being uncovered piece by piece, slowly...methodically... until all of the real ME stands proud in the light of day.
  •  

Eryn T

Greetings Lucca! Welcome to the community!

It sounds like you've already made some pretty big, but not life-ruining decisions towards a possible transition.  I do not know you, obviously, or what your therapist says, but if you don't fully see yourself as wanting to be a woman, there are other things you can identify as, if they suit you better. Like gender-queer or gender-fluid, etc.

Susan's is a great place to really learn from others experience, ask questions and the like.  If you're unclear of where to go in your life, but that you want to go somewhere new, I do think browsing Susans occasionally will help you discover what you'd love/hate and give you advice on how to progress in your life in the way that you want to!

Looking to make and keep friends! Spreading the love, now that I can truly love myself!

Transition Blog: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,237152.msg2131598.html#msg2131598

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd5cx6Iok3BQYrGwdYbVqWA

Twitter: https://twitter.com/_TransGaming_
  •  

Ava 0110110

I can completely understand where you are coming from Lucca. I too have made a game plan and I just wanted to add as a reminder along with what others have said: It is not a race. Take your time.
  •  

V M

Hi Lucca  :icon_wave:

Welcome to Susan's Place  :)  Glad to have you here, join on in the fun

Hugs

V M
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Susan Baum

Quote from: Lucca on May 06, 2018, 01:02:26 PM
So, I figure I'll think about it for one to two years while I get my health and appearance in order, and consider my options. I've been lurking since the beginning of the year and this seems like such a welcoming community, I thought this would be a good place to ask questions and figure things out.

As for pronouns, let's try female ones and see how they work out, I picked a feminine name after all.
Hi, Lucca - what pretty name. And yes, another welcome.

I was happy to read that you have seen a therapist to help you get your life back into balance and decided to take care of yourself first. Life offers us enough twists and turns as it is... if I don't take charge and care of myself, who will?

For what it's worth, my own experience (and reportedly that of many others) was that I tossed all my anxiety meds soon after I started on T blockers and low dose Estrogen. While YMMV, losing the T that was driving a lot of my anxieties was a godsend.

Hugs
Susan
Aging is inevitable - growing up is optional.
  •  

Lucca

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Yeah, I'm aware of all the potential side effects of Accutane, and my dermatologist actually wants me to consult my psychiatrist about it before putting me on it, but I'm doing pretty well now so I doubt she'll refuse. Of course, there's also all the loads of unpleasant physical side effects that come with it as well, but I already had most of them this winter when the cold weather we had in North America destroyed my skin. I'm hoping that if Accutane fixes my acne problem permanently, I won't ever have to go through another winter where my face is sore every day again, even if it's sore every day while I'm on it. Plus, if I can get my facial hair removed, I won't be aggravating my acne with a razor constantly.

Whether I transition or not could depend on how convincing I think I'd be able to look as a woman... I'm over six feet tall and have what I normally think is a pretty masculine frame, but that could partly be because of the clothes I wear. My face is also pretty masculine, but maybe it would look female enough with feminine hair, makeup, and no stubble. I've seen some pretty drastic before/after pictures where I never would have thought they'd be able to pull it off based on the before picture, even though if you look closely you can tell that the bone structure hasn't actually changed.

I really dislike being lumped in with white men as a demographic, though, when I don't really identify with common male emotions, desires, or stereotypes, and it bugs me when people make assumptions about me because they've decided I'm a man due to my appearance. Women seem to be treated more the way I'd like to be treated.
  •  

Melanie Jean

Welcome to Susan's Place, Lucca!  :icon_wave:

I can certainly relate on the height front - I'm nearly 6-4, which makes doorways in heels an issue. Nevertheless, I didn't let that stop me from being who I am, and I'm much happier for that! If your concerned about transitioning, have a look at "Susan's Story", which is linked at the top of this forum. She is a beautiful lady and an inspiration to all. :)
Love to all.

~Melanie

•  

Lucca

Quick question... I'd like to get input on how masculine my face is and get a prognosis on how difficult it would be to pass, but I don't want to post my face publicly on the forum. I can send pictures using the email address I made for this site, but it seems weird to make a thread just to solicit conversation for outside the thread. Would that be fine?
  •  

Dena

When you reach 15 quality posts, you will gain the ability to send PMs. PMs work much like a post except they are between you and the others you wish to see the image. The are private so even moderators and administrators can't see the contents. People who are comfortable with their images being public often create threads for assistance with their appearance. MTFs often do this for help on a number of issues.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •