Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

High school principal resigns after LGBTQ students were forced to read the Bible as punishment

Started by Deborah, May 22, 2018, 11:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deborah

High school principal resigns after LGBTQ students were forced to read the Bible as punishment

By: Christianna Silva

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/kzkb8v/oregon-high-school-principal-resigns-after-lgbtq-students-were-forced-to-read-the-bible-as-punishment

An Oregon principal has resigned after a months-long investigation into how the high school under his command discriminated against LGBTQ students, including being forced to read the Bible as punishment.

When two female students, Liv Funk and Hailey Smith at North Bend High School in Coos County, Oregon, began dating each other, they started to face discrimination — and even threats to their safety — from students and staff alike. For example, one teacher equated homosexuality with bestiality, and the school's police officer told the young couple they were going to hell. . . .
——————————————————————
MAGA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Devlyn

This is religious, not political. They were forced to read the bible, not the MAGA platform.
  •  

TonyaW

Quote from: Devlyn on May 22, 2018, 12:13:38 PM
This is religious, not political. They were forced to read the bible, not the MAGA platform.
Can't separate the two.  The Republican party long ago sold it's soul to the religious right in order to stay in power.  They own this stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•  

Deborah

Republican Platform, pg 35

QuoteWe emphatically support the original, authentic meaning of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. It affirmed that "no person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance." That language opened up for girls and women a world of opportunities that had too often been denied to them. That same provision of law is now being used by bureaucrats — and by the current President of the United States — to impose a social and cultural revolution upon the American people by wrongly redefining sex discrimination to include sexual orientation or other categories. Their agenda has nothing to do with individual rights; it has everything to do with power. They are determined to reshape our schools — and our entire society — to fit the mold of an ideology alien to America's history and traditions. Their edict to the states concerning restrooms, locker rooms, and other facilities is at once illegal, dangerous, and ignores privacy issues. We salute the several states which have filed suit against it.
https://prod-static-ngop-pbl.s3.amazonaws.com/media/documents/DRAFT_12_FINAL%5B1%5D-ben_1468872234.pdf

It's quite a stretch of the imagination not to see the connection when we are described as alien to what it means to be American.

Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Paige

Quote from: Devlyn on May 22, 2018, 12:28:23 PM
Strawman argument. The Republican platform is not the law.

Hi Devlyn,

Wouldn't you agree it isn't that simple?  Policy dictated by the Whitehouse would be based on the MAGA/Republican platform. What Republican majority House and Senate pay attention to and ignore would also be guided by the Republican platform.  A Republican dominated Supreme Court interpretation of the law seems to be influenced by the Republican platform.

It seems to me that it's not really a Strawman when you consider these not so subtle parts of how the government runs.

Have a nice day,
Paige :)
  •  

itsApril

A little more about conditions at the school:

ACLU OF OREGON REACHES SWEEPING SETTLEMENT WITH NORTH BEND SCHOOL DISTRICT OVER LGBTQ DISCRIMINATION AND BIBLE READING

https://www.aclu-or.org/en/press-releases/aclu-oregon-reaches-sweeping-settlement-north-bend-school-district-over-lgbtq

"The students filed their original complaint with the district in 2016. When the school district failed to respond to the students' formal complaints, the students appealed to the [Oregon Department of Education]. Earlier this year, the agency conducted a months-long investigation and found evidence of severe bullying at the school that was ignored by administrators and other violations of state and federal laws. In letters to the district earlier this month, the ODE mentioned instances where a teacher equated same-sex marriage with bestiality and a transgender student was harassed in school common areas, including having food thrown on them.

"To us this all seemed normal," Smith said. "Like, this is just my life. I didn't even really want to go to school anymore because I knew something would happen every day."

"After the story drew national attention, [ACLU Legal Director Mat] dos Santos said numerous former and current students, parents, and staff contacted the ACLU of Oregon with disturbing allegations against the school. A transgender boy was refused permission to play on the boys' basketball team. One black student was forced to line up with his swim teammates from lightest to darkest skin color. Another black student was regularly subjected to racist slurs and name calling by his teammates, including the principal's son, over his repeated requests that they stop using a modification to the n-word as his nickname. An exchange student from Spain was awarded the "Best Mexican" award by the swim team."

The good news: the principal of this high school is now GONE!
-April
  •  

RobynD

Here even in relatively socially liberal Oregon , there are regional areas with people that wish to live in some idealized past. I'm glad this person lost their job.

•  

AnneK

The problem with religion is that those who believe it often feel they have a right or duty to impose it on others.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Cindy

:police:

I shall inform everyone immediately to follow the Terms of Service in particular TOS 10.

10. Bashing or flaming of an individual or group is not acceptable behavior on this website and will not be tolerated in the slightest for any reason.  This includes but is not limited to:
Advocating the separation or exclusion of one or more group from under the Transgender umbrella term. The same restriction applies to advocating the removal of the T from GLBT.
Suggesting or claiming that one segment or sub-segment of our community is more or less legitimate, deserving, or real than any others.
Posting any topic or making any post that suggests that Trans people are not really men (FTM) or women (MTF), even if done for the purposes of criticism or discussion.
Posting any messages that engages in personal attacks and/or is actively or passively aggressive no matter the provocation.

Keep to the rules please

Cindy
Forum Admin
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: AnneK on May 22, 2018, 03:45:10 PM
The problem with religion is that those who believe it often feel they have a right or duty to impose it on others.

My point was that the O/P posted in the Political News section and included the MAGA comment. As I see it, a principal penalizing students by having them read the bible isn't political, it's religious, and Religious News may have been a better subforum. Maybe I'm missing something, but the article doesn't seem to mention that the principal has an affiliation with the Republican party anyway?
  •  

Deborah

It's political and legal news.  Since there was a lawsuit this is legal.

U.S. Army Retired
  •