Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Being transgender in Turkey

Started by Sinead, May 29, 2018, 03:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinead

Just wondering if any of you have been to Turkey and what are your experiences? Did you receive any abuse? Was it frowned upon? Would you go again?

I'm asking because I'm going to Antalya (in Turkey) next week on holiday for 7 days, and I want to be able to dress as myself (female), while I'm there, but I'm wondering whether I'll be safe and ultimately accepted
  •  

Ashley0808

Quote from: Sinead on May 29, 2018, 03:59:13 PM
Just wondering if any of you have been to Turkey and what are your experiences? Did you receive any abuse? Was it frowned upon? Would you go again?

I'm asking because I'm going to Antalya (in Turkey) next week on holiday for 7 days, and I want to be able to dress as myself (female), while I'm there, but I'm wondering whether I'll be safe and ultimately accepted

You are going to a islamic nation.  Simply put, respect all their rules and laws,  Going out dressed could very well land you in prison or in harms way.  They still have serious human rights problems against women.  (honour killings and such)  google it for yourself. 

No I would recommend NOT going out dressed or getting involved with the LGBT over there at all.  Go enjoy your stay and respect the rules.
  •  

Nova_Noelle

Have a great trip Sinead and be safe. 

I've never been to Turkey, but from what I've seen it is a beautiful country with so much history.  Visiting Istanbul is definitely on my travel bucket list. 

With Love,
Noelle
Have courage and be kind.
  •  

Dani

Stay with your tour group and do not go out alone. Organized tours are much safer than many of us might think.

Right now the political climate in Turkey is not the best. I can think of safer places to visit.
  •  

Mendi

Perhaps not the best nation to be as a ts. However, their supreme court decided, that requring sterilization for gender recognition, is against constitution. Making Turkey much more progressive country, than many Western European countries.

Still, supreme court is one thing and ordinary people are another thing. Be careful!

I am very nervous, that I have to change planes in Istanbul, while going to Thailand in a month. It´s just 3 hours on my way to Thailand and then coming back.

I was even thinking, that should I try to present as a male, because my passport says that I´m a male. But no, I don´t want to do that anymore, and besides, I don´t have any male clothes.

Come hell or high water, I´m travelling the way I am...
  •  

Nova_Noelle

Good luck on your trip to Thailand Mendi.  I hope that your stop in Istanbul goes smoothly and that your surgery is as pain/anxiety free as it can be.  I'm sure that your results will be amazing. 

Have a lovely day.

With Love,
Noelle
Have courage and be kind.
  •