Susans Writers and Book Readers

Started by Northern Star Girl, May 21, 2018, 06:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurie

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on June 25, 2018, 02:52:35 AM

@Michelle_P   
@Jessica   
@Laurie

****You ladies are having way too much fun here.... but really.... thanks for having your fun here where I can monitor you. 
If things get out of hand I know some of the GMs that I can make aware of your shenanigans.   
... wait, you all are GMs.... now what am I going to do???
Hugs,
Danielle

Join us?
April 13, 2019 switched to estradiol valerate
December 20, 2018    Referral sent to OHSU Dr Dugi  for vaginoplasty consult
December 10, 2018    Second Letter VA Psychiatric Practical nurse
November 15, 2018    First letter from VA therapist
May 11, 2018 I am Laurie Jeanette Wickwire
May   3, 2018 Submitted name change forms
Aug 26, 2017 another increase in estradiol
Jun  26, 2017 Last day in male attire That's full time I guess
May 20, 2017 doubled estradiol
May 18, 2017 started electrolysis
Dec   4, 2016 Started estradiol and spironolactone

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: ErinWDK on June 25, 2018, 08:51:34 AM
Reading interests differ rather strongly from one person to another.  Since I am unique my interests differ even more.  The last fiction book I read was "The Planter's Northern Bride" by Caroline Lee Hentz.  This is an 1854 sentimental novel.  It is also one of the books written in the south as an answer to Harriet Beecher Stowe's "Uncle Toms Cabin" of 1852.  While I am in more agreement with Stowe I sort of want to see both sides of things.  Over the years that has led me some strange places.  This one may be the strangest.

My preference is more in the range of non-fiction.  The latest book I am trying to work on is "Mary Turner and the memory of Lynching" by Julie Buckner Armstrong.  The starting point of this is a horrific spate of racial violence in May 1918 in Lowndes and Brooks counties in Georgia.  This is hard to read.  The real story here is trying to come to reconciliation.  The book was written in 2011.  At that point reconciliation had just started (over nine decades after the events) and it looked like a long road to go.  That area is STILL in the news.  Will people ever learn to just live together?

I mentioned this to friend, so he showed me what he is reading.  He is working on a PhD and these were two books by noted experts looking at deep details regarding his intended area of research.  So, old Erin is just looking at comparatively simplistic stuff.

I am trying to write something and have been beating my head against the wall on that for what is now pushing two years.  Not sure what it will take to get that off the ground.

@ErinWDK
Thank you for following, reading and posting your thoughts on this thread. 
You are certainly taking on the more heavier reading tasks...  I also love non-fiction, I love to follow history and discover how some can learn from past actions and mistakes made by others, yet there are those that ignore it all and go on to take the very same actions that lead to the very same mistakes and bad outcomes... or they just make a pleathora of new mistakes and bad actions.   
Lately, however, as you could see from my posts very early in this thread that I have been leaning toward romantic novels....  I find that reading them helps me to unwind and to distance myself for the all too real goings on all around me.

Well, as you stated at the end of your post, please stop beating your head against the wall and get going on to your writing endeavors.   As you feel so led, please share some of your compositions on here so we can all take part in enjoying what you have to say.

Hugs,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures

Started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old & Single
Email: northernstargirl@susans.org
  •  

DustKitten

I made a cheap wordpress blog for sharing stuff. I've posted one urban fantasy and one humor story; keep in mind that neither represent my best work. Feedback would, nevertheless, be very appreciated. Feel free to be critical, it's the fastest way for me to learn.

https://rctrunkstories.wordpress.com/
  •  

sarah1972

"The Long Journey of Lukas B." by Willi Fährmann

I had promised a writeup on one of my most treasured books. It is a history novel I was given around the age of 10 and I have read the book at least 20 times since. I do have the german copy "Der Lange Weg Des Lukas B." There are a few rare english translations. There is also a Canadian six-part mini series based on the book, called "By Way Of The Stars".

In the 1870's fourteen-year-old Lukas accompanies a group led by his master carpenter grandfather, from their Prussian village to the United States, to seek their fortunes, and where Lukas hopes to find his long missing father.  The hard journey on a sail boat to the United States was triggered by the ongoing recession which left most of the carpenters out of work.

Once the group of carpenters arrives, their skilled work is very quickly appreciated in the US and their knowledge is helping the group to constantly find new work. From building simple houses to churches and complex bridges.

The group starts their track west and continues to be successful. During the track, some of the men stay behind and some are lost due to accidents.

In the final chapter some of the men return to their village, this time on a comfortable sail boat due to the new financial means. While they are welcomed, there is also contention on them leaving a few men behind.

While I was fascinated by the book the first time I read it, I did not fully understand the influence on my life until many years later.

As the carpenters, I have decided to leave my town behind and move to the United States from Europe. I have noticed my skills being very valuable and I have quickly earned some reputation. All the hard work and dedication has allowed me to live the "American Dream" and make a nice living. It has been a rocky road, but with some success. It took me a few years to realize the similarities to the Bienman carpenter family.

I have not read it in a while but it may be good to dig it up again.

Besides that: I am almost finished with Debbie Macomber's Alaska Trilogy. Maybe a break on romantic books might make me pick up the "History of the FBI" or a book on LEAN management practices next.  Or the history of concrete  ;D ;D.

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: DustKitten on June 28, 2018, 05:57:00 AM
I made a cheap wordpress blog for sharing stuff. I've posted one urban fantasy and one humor story; keep in mind that neither represent my best work. Feedback would, nevertheless, be very appreciated. Feel free to be critical, it's the fastest way for me to learn.

https://rctrunkstories.wordpress.com/

@DustKitten
I took the time out of my busy day at work to read both of your short stories, and I am so glad that I did....

Your first story: (a Comedey) titled:   The Line That Punched
I loved how the story started out slowly and somewhat seductively... not knowing whether it was going to be a Comedy as you tagged it or was it going to be as it first appeared, a "Bromance"  story.  As the story turned into the promised Comedy, it was at the very ending that made the story come all together.   Very nicely written ... of course I won't give more details, I want other readers to go to your blog and read the entire story...    again, very nicely written.

Your 2nd story (a Fantasy) titled   The Graverobber and the Fox
I found that story to be quite intoxicating... I could not stop reading it and frequently I kept going back to reread several sentences to make certain I got all of the details.  The ending paragraphs were a pleasant surprise and totally took me off guard.  Your wording and use of suspense and detail made this a gripping and a fun short story to read.  Nicely done.

All in all, IF the 2 stories "do not represent your best work" as you stated, I can then hardly wait to read your best work when you post it.  Both stories are very nicely written and held my attention to compel me to read every word.

Thank you @DustKitten for posting your stories on here on my "Susan's Writers and Book Readers" thread... very much appreciated.  I will be looking forward to and anticipating your future submissions.

Hugs,
Danielle

•  

DustKitten

Thanks, Danielle :) I always feel flustered when someone compliments my work, even though everyone seems to react the same way to my writing. At least when someone criticizes my writing (as my teachers often used to do) I can listen to what they're saying and try to improve, but I can't seem to take praise half as well.

Like I said, I only made the blog to share those stories, so idk if I'll keep it updated. It mostly depends on whether I write anything else I'd consider unpublishable. :) Right now I'm planning to write a post-apocalyptic story and another story about a mermaid, but I don't think I'll have time for them for another week or two.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

To my readers and followers here....

Please feel free to post your writings
and thoughts.... and share about the books that you are reading or about to read....   
I love to hear from others and what they have to say...

Hugs and well wishes,
Danielle

•  

LizK

What a great thread...I fall into the Avid reader frustrated writer category. I am trying to write my transition story for awhile now and am still putting together details. Primarily writing is to help me as a way of venting my emotions whether they be anger, happiness or laughter. I have a file of probably 100 writings completed since this journey began in earnest and from this I will try to make this the basis of a cohesive story. I hope that the raw emotions I felt when writing some of these pieces will come out in the writng...it is these emotions I want the reader to understand and if possible feel.

I cannot read actual paper books anymore due to the side effects of medications but I listen to books constantly, I am currently listening to a book of short horror stories called The Best Horror of the Year By Ellen Datlow. I am also listening to my absolute all time favourite story that I know inside and out...The Dark Tower series by Stephen King . I have listened to this series of 8 books a number of times and know the stories intimately. You can see King mature over the years he took to write this series. He is a very different writer in his last book written some years later than the first in this series.

"The dark man fled across the desert and the Gunslinger followed"    The opening line to the first book in the series. From there unfolds and 8 book tale.

What is the next book your book club is reading @Alaskan Danielle...

Take care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Jessica

Hi friends 🌸🌸🌸
I composed a brief narrative of my experiences with being on hrt for one year and I've been implored to post it on this thread as it has a ring of poetic license.
I do feel it is, as I termed it, a style that has a pedantic cadence. 
Moving, but lingering in thought, from point to point.

I hope you enjoy the style as much as much as the substance did for me.

QuoteHi friends 🌸🌸🌸
One year on hrt!  OMG! I did not see this happening.
I was so unsure in the beginning.
I was scared about what it all may lead to.
There was so much I didn't know.

How have I changed? 
Do I still question the future?  Who doesn't?
Would I have changed anything?  I think the speed I'm going works with me..

The physical changes have been slow and subtle. 
Love my breasts, I'm blessed with good genes and have gotten to "c" cups.
I've lost 3" in my band measurement and added 2" in my bust measurement.
Lost 5" in my waist dimension, along with a loss of 35 lbs.
My butt is clearly larger, and my muscles are lean but strong.
My skin is softer, and my dry flaky skin is healthy.
My face has smoothed out, losing deep smile lines to a mere shadow.
I've opted for less body hair and my legs are smooth.
My mustache of 35 years is gone, never to return.
The (small) bald spot on the top of my head has disappeared.
My hair is returning to the length I had for 25 years (to the small of my back) when I cut it 20 years ago.  I missed it more than I thought I would.  Still going to take a bit with that.
I've added physical cues such as nail polish on the fingers and toes, feminine styled clothes (but still androgynous shirts when not presenting as a woman), walking, talking and mannerisms are more feminine.  These are full time changes that are compatible with being gender fluid.

Psychological changes have been a pleasure and a pain.
Love the ease I find in talking to others, especially women.
Hate the roller coaster ride though.
Love being happy all the time.  Always have been, but more so.
Hate feeling sensitive about things I've over-inflated in my mind.
Love knowing that I'm becoming who I am.
Hate knowing I'll never have the real life experience of growing up a girl, then a woman.

My relationship with my loved ones are strong and the ones that know are comfortable with where I'm going.
I've met new friends that have become my family both here on line at Susan's Place and in person.  I value these with a high degree of love.

I see a bright future.

Hugs and smiles, Jessica 🌸🌸🌸

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Northern Star Girl

@Jessica
Dear Jessica... thank you so very much for post your writings regarding your "One Year HRT"   Your story chronicles your very interesting and successful first year.... and is very encouraging to all of us.
I now can hardly wait for your "Two Year HRt" writings....

Keep on keeping on.
Thank you for reading, following, and commenting...
Hugs and continued well wishes as always,
Danielle

•  

DawnOday

So glad to hear your progress Jessica. We are on similar courses of discovery. Some days I want to throw up my hands and say let's go full time. Others, I realize what I would be missing if I divorced my wife and were forced to live alone. I can see me all alone in my apartment screaming. "I've fallen and I can't get up".  :)  We are extremely lucky to have loving families that believe our happiness is what matters.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Jessica

Quote from: DawnOday on July 17, 2018, 12:02:33 PM
So glad to hear your progress Jessica. We are on similar courses of discovery. Some days I want to throw up my hands and say let's go full time. Others, I realize what I would be missing if I divorced my wife and were forced to live alone. I can see me all alone in my apartment screaming. "I've fallen and I can't get up".  :)  We are extremely lucky to have loving families that believe our happiness is what matters.

I will add this for you @DawnOday, though I suspect the ever vigilant Danielle will request it.

QuoteOne year goes by in the blink of an eye.....that's how life works.
Who knows where the next blink will lead you....
Who knows what tomorrow brings?

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Jessica on July 17, 2018, 12:11:30 PM
I will add this for you @DawnOday, though I suspect the ever vigilant Danielle will request it.

@DawnOday
Dear Dawn: ... please do me the favor of personally posting your little poem that @Jessica mentioned on this thread...  with any of your commentary about why and when you wrote it.
Thank you.

Hugs and well wishes,
Danielle

•  

JudiBlueEyes

Here's something from my collection that I wrote years ago.

What do you see?

Make me laugh,
Make me play,
Push the button.
What you say?

I'm a new girl,
Maybe the same girl.
Take a look,
What do you see?

Living the life,
Unlived?
Enjoying the gift,
Not given?

You've got to reach out
and take it.
It's the only way
If you're going to make it.
But now old friends they're acting strange
They shake their heads, they say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day.
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@JudiBlueEyes
Dear Judi:
Thank you very much for posting your little poem...
... it is absolutely wonderfully written and has great meaning to all of us on the Forums....   

Thank you for reading, following, and for your comments.
Please feel free to come here often and share your thoughts and writings...

Hugs and well wishes as always.
Hugs,
Danielle 

•  

Jessica

Quote from: JudiBlueEyes on July 17, 2018, 12:42:27 PM
Here's something from my collection that I wrote years ago.

What do you see?

Make me laugh,
Make me play,
Push the button.
What you say?

I'm a new girl,
Maybe the same girl.
Take a look,
What do you see?

Living the life,
Unlived?
Enjoying the gift,
Not given?

You've got to reach out
and take it.
It's the only way
If you're going to make it.

Love this Judi 🌸🌸🌸

•  

ErinWDK

Most of my attempts at writing are non-fiction, often looking at the technical and/or deep aspects of things.  I have finally had enough issues bubbling about within me that I ventured into writing something "creative."  I posted it on the Unicorn Forest thread.  This gives some insight as to how my mind goes when I am deep in too much thought.  That thread is rather allegorical -- as is my post to some extent -- so any thoughts about it might better fit here.

That is a first try -- at age 65!!!

Erin
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: ErinWDK on July 18, 2018, 02:51:20 PM
Most of my attempts at writing are non-fiction, often looking at the technical and/or deep aspects of things.  I have finally had enough issues bubbling about within me that I ventured into writing something "creative."  I posted it on the Unicorn Forest thread.  This gives some insight as to how my mind goes when I am deep in too much thought.  That thread is rather allegorical -- as is my post to some extent -- so any thoughts about it might better fit here.

That is a first try -- at age 65!!!

Erin

@ErinWDK
Dear Erin: Thank you for coming here and posting your thoughts and where we can find some of your writings and compositions.   
Always feel free to also post some of you work on here... usually briefer versions as you can see from some of the examples of other posts on here.   Any kind of longer "work" can be put of a writers blog somewhere in cyberspace and you can always include the LINK here so we can all go it.

Thanks again for your comments and I will be looking forward to seeing future postings from you.

Hugs and well wishes,
Daneille

•  

LizK

I think you may have missed my question from earlier :D so I though I would ask again if that ok ;)

Take care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

KatieP

Quote from: ElizabethK on July 18, 2018, 08:22:46 PM

+1

;D
  •