News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

My Weight Loss Story

Started by samanthabwolfe, May 28, 2018, 11:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dena

Quote from: samanthabwolfe on June 04, 2018, 11:02:18 PM
Well, IMHO, I think it's terrible how companies have for the last 15-20 years hid what they're putting in food and what they're serving. I can't go out now-a-days. Do you know how hard it is to find food that's not obscenely proportioned, laden in oil, and served with high calorie dipping sauces? And then they whine to us about how it's a burden to put calorie counts on dishes. It's frustrating and its wrong.
Diet trick. Nothing prevents you from asking for a doggy box at the start of your meal. Divide the portion in two and save one for a lunch or dinner latter on. I don't eat out often enough to worry about calories from eating out however I have been with others who use this trick.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

samanthabwolfe

Quote from: Dena on June 04, 2018, 11:27:07 PM
Diet trick. Nothing prevents you from asking for a doggy box at the start of your meal. Divide the portion in two and save one for a lunch or dinner latter on. I don't eat out often enough to worry about calories from eating out however I have been with others who use this trick.

Great idea. I was gonna try it out tonight and treat myself to something I haven't had in forever, a nice Ruben sandwich with some fries. Split it in half, get two meals of it and all that. I get to the restaurant with my friends, and they didn't have any ready! I settled for a fish platter with two tiny lil pieces of cod, some carrots and a lil scoop of rice so dry I don't think they put it in water. The meal was tiny, uninspiring and not filling. I was not super happy tonight.
  •  

Denice

Sorry for the bit of thread necromancy but I had to share my story.

I got out of the Army in 1986. In the subsequent decade I had ballooned from 180 lbs to at least 325 lbs. I'm 5'7', just for the record. In the last week of November, 1996 I was waddling through Kennedy Plaza in Providence, R.I. I saw that the RING was looking for recruits. I had just restarted my career as a CNA, but I also heard that holding an MOS as a combat medic translates into a civilian EMT, so it would have been nice to have that option. So I waddled (right, I didn't walk then, I waddled) up to the recruiter and told him I was prior service, Airborne Infantry with the 82nd, and I would like to sign up, just to be able to taste the military life, even for part time. This sergeant looked me up and down with his jaw hanging for a few seconds, then he bust out laughing. For a good two minutes his sides were splitting as he pounded his fist on the hood of the Hum-Vee. I wasn't insulted, I caught the joke. Finally he composed himself, put his hand on my shoulder and said: "I'd love to enlist you, but seriously, lose at least a hundred pounds, then come and see me. Good luck."

"Okay", I said. "That's my New Year's resolution. Lose the weight and come back looking for you".

This was one resolution I lived up to. I started on January 2nd, too hung over to start on the first. My first goal was to alter my diet. What I did was to limit my protein intake to 6 ozs, lean, two servings of carbs, and all the fruits and vegetables I wanted. I was scarfing down a half dozen apples, 3 to four oranges, 3 to 4 bananas, a head of lettuce, maybe a pound of spinach. You get the picture. I dropped 20 lbs in the first month. Now to start exercising.

In our basement we had an ancient stationary bike. Hadn't been thought of in years. I could feel her shivering in fear as I approached her, signifying my intent to actually use her. But she was a trooper. At first I could do 5 minutes at a stretch, then I needed a 10 minute break. After just a few weeks I could pedal for an hour straight with no problem. Another 20 lbs had vanished.

Next up in my exercise routine was calisthenics to build muscle mass. I had found out that a pound of muscle burns 15 calories an hour, even when your just sitting on the couch flipping the remote. It kick starts your metabolism, plus I was looking to the inevitable Army PT test that was in my future.

So I started in January at 325, by July I was at 180, maybe even 170. I went looking for that particular sergeant I met back in November, but he was no where to be found. 

Here's the sad part. I went through all that so I could be a combat medic. Before I could be sent off to Ft Sam Houston for my training I had to take that PT test. I got a score of 260 out of a possible 300, not bad. I never was a fast runner, that lowered the score. Next was a test to measure my body fat. I forget the exact numbers, all I remember was that I was one half of one percent over the limit. I begged, I pleaded: "Listen! Here are some pictures! A year ago I weighed 325 lbs. Maybe you're just pinching some loose skin. Is there another way to test this?"

"Well, maybe, but we don't have the time. Next!"

So I hung around for a few years just collecting my pay. Having another name on their roster was good enough, even if my training was as an infantryman, and it was a MP unit.

ETA: That all happened over 20 years ago. Last time I weighed myself I was 205 lbs.
I'm a man. I like being a man. I also love wearing women's clothing. It's my way to show honor, respect and solidarity with them.
  •